Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: madstad windshield  (Read 17673 times)

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
Re: madstad windshield
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 02:53:15 AM »

as you mentioned, YOU HAVE TO GET USED TO IT
at the moment  :-\
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 07:04:30 AM »

you ask for it..................I would be embarrassed to have that thing on my bike....sorry

Don't be sorry Knothead...I DID ask for it.  That is one of the reasons this is (IMHO) the best HD site out there. 

As I alluded to above, there is a balance between form and function.  To me, the Clearview is second to none in quality and function however, I can't live with the glodwing looks.  Likewise (to me) the CeeBailey's shields look like a big sail...but they work well.  I settled for the Kuryakyn Airmaster for inclement weather and long trips and HD's shorty sport for hot weather around town. 

All the above windshields still pummel my BSR so I'm still in search of the holy grail of wind deflection...to find that balance.

I've got a four day weekend to test and tune this contraption and view the bike from different angles while  :drink: :drink: :drink:...I'll let you guys know how it goes.

In the mean time brothers and sisters...let'er rip!  Its all good :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: 

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »

So I am not enthralled with the look. Maybe if they cleaned up the hardware like on the BMW I could get used to it. The hardware is just too chunky.

With that said, I have a few questions.

1. Appears to be adjustable, right?
2. Adjustable during ride or manual?
3. Motorized like the BMW?
4. What is the purpose of the gap, just for hardware so it can adjust?
5. Most important - how does it perform, especially at high speed?
    (will look for this answer after this weekend)

Thanks for being brave and sharing. Without sharing this site would be worthless.

DH

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »

To me, the Clearview is second to none in quality and function however, I can't live with the glodwing looks.  Likewise (to me) the CeeBailey's shields look like a big sail...but they work well.  I settled for the Kuryakyn Airmaster for inclement weather and long trips and HD's shorty sport for hot weather around town. 

All the above windshields still pummel my BSR so I'm still in search of the holy grail of wind deflection...to find that balance.

I was hoping that the Kury would be an improvement.  I have seen both the Clearview and the CeeBailey and don't think I would want either.  My BSR complains mightly about the turbulence she gets on the RG.  Not a problem on the CUSE with the bat wing.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 09:45:48 AM »

It looks like the Road Glide is wearing a big pair of sunglasses..........

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:50:33 AM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »

DH,

I can answer most of your questions now.

1) Yes, it is INFINATELY adjustable

2 & 3) Its adjusted manually.  Here, you have to pull the outer shield off by removing the "T" screws and lessening the allen screws on the brackets however, you can leave them semi-tight and reposition the shield but if they're too loose, the wind force will do that for you.

4)  The twin shields acts like a slat system on the leading edge of an aircraft wing.  The outer shield acts like anyother shield in deflecting the air up.  The flaw with conventional shields is that with the air traveling at high speed across the front of the shield and no air traveling behind it, you have low pressure behind the shield trying to suck the fast moving air into the low pressure area...where your head is.  This is referred to the burbble effect where the air swirls...you can see this on a humid day with condensation swirling off an air craft's wing when it has a high angle of attack (climbing steeply).

Your BSR may even complain of being smacked in the back of the helmet with air...this is the burbbling air trying to fill that low pressure area...you may be just fine while your BSR is miserable.  Kuryakyn even makes a Airmaster Airfoil that mounts behind your BSR to diswade this burbbling (see pic)

The gap between the two shields allows air to be scooped and directed up between the shields.  If setup right, the that gap air will be squeezed in between the two shields with a venturi effect which actually increased the velocity of the gap air over the air in front of the outer shield.  This would reverse the burbble and kick the air away, up and over your noggin.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:26:22 AM by Beemer »

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »

I was hoping that the Kury would be an improvement.  I have seen both the Clearview and the CeeBailey and don't think I would want either.  My BSR complains mightly about the turbulence she gets on the RG.  Not a problem on the CUSE with the bat wing.

ultrafxr,

I love my Kury AirMaster...its the best "Fixed" windshield I've had on the bike so far...not perfect, but its a decent balance in form/function.  BSR still gets more wind than she'd like though.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »

It looks like the Road Glide is wearing a big pair of sunglasses..........

LMAO...yup,

Actually, to me, it looks like a dark-tint windvest windshield.  I,m wondering that once "dialed-in" I could get away with trimming some of it.  I'm also thinking it wouldn't seem so in-your-face if it were the light smoked or clear version.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »

4)  The twin shields acts like a slat system on the leading edge of an aircraft wing.  The outer shield acts like anyother shield in deflecting the air up.  The flaw with conventional shields is that with the air traveling at high speed across the front of the shield and no air traveling behind it, you have low pressure behind the shield trying to suck the fast moving air into the low pressure area...where your head is.  This is referred to the burbble effect where the air swirls...you can see this on a humid day with condensation swirling off an air craft's wing when it has a high angle of attack (climbing steeply).

The CV has a optional vent that breaks up this dead air.  Doc

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »

I just got off the phone with Mark, the owner of Madstad Engineering (great to work with) and he's going to ship me a tinted outer shield. 

I should have the shield position dialed-in this weekend so it'll just be a matter of a two minute swap of outer shields. 

I'll post pics & review as soon as I get it.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »

you ask for it..................I would be embarrassed to have that thing on my bike....sorry

X3 Sorry, but I have to agree with that assessment.  Just looks too funky for my tastes.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »

I think that the shield is all about function and less about form.

sometimes you cannot have both.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:41 PM »

Check out the video for this new line of electric motorized windshields, the FLH is coming soon and you would think the FLT's would be next. The video really explains the dynamics for these double shields well.  Doc

http://www.firecreekacc.com/

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 09:46:41 PM »

I would tend to agree. So far, the CEE Glide shield is working for us.
Al

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 09:41:04 PM »

Check out the video for this new line of electric motorized windshields, the FLH is coming soon and you would think the FLT's would be next. The video really explains the dynamics for these double shields well.  Doc

http://www.firecreekacc.com/

IMO, that is a poorly designed way of electrically raising or lowering their windshield.  Now you have a wire coming up out of your fairing on the inner shield to an electric piston.  With a little more engineering and thought, they could have put the electric piston on the two side mounts, that way it wouldn't have looked like an add-on like it looks now.  I tell you what, and this is just my opinion, I will sacrifice some function to maintain form over having a windshield like that mounted on my fairing.   :-\

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 22 queries.