Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: madstad windshield  (Read 17674 times)

Lonerider

• Junior CVO Member
Re: madstad windshield
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »

It gives both the batwing and shark nose crowd something to rave about:). I don't care for the appearance and couldn't handle the black/opaque in any height over a few inches  But I say if it works, and you like it then more power to you. Isn't this at least a part of what motorcycling is all about?  Individual choice and expression through what and how you ride? Live free!
2011 SERGU
Fullsac X Pipe
V&H Monster Ovals
Andrews 54 Cams
.030 head gasket
TTS Master Tune & dyno tuned
Cee Bailey 14" Super Step Contour Windshield

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 10:48:04 AM »

I don't care for the appearance and couldn't handle the black/opaque in any height over a few inches But I say if it works, and you like it then more power to you. Isn't this at least a part of what motorcycling is all about?  Individual choice and expression through what and how you ride? Live free!

Yes, I'm having a problem with the opaque shield out front as far as it is.  It may be lower but with it so far out in front, it blocks too much view of the road.  This shouldn't be a problem while traveling at normal speeds but really manifests itself at slow parking lot speeds.  Its also distracting when in corners while cruising.  I'm hoping that the smoked outer screen will alleviate this effect.  The one drawback of the Road Glide fairing IMO is that it is so far out in front of you.  It makes it difficult to find a suitable balance in windshields.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 05:09:52 AM »

BEEMER did you found the sweet spot with the wind????
gabe
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 07:47:32 AM »

Gabe,

I believe I've got it pretty much dialed in.  It looks to be in about the same position as the pic in your first posting at the beginning of this thread. 

I'm expecting the smoked shield today but will be on the road for business for the next week.  I'll install it tonight and take some more pics before I leave. 

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »

The smoked works Waaaaaay better.  It doesn't bother me to look over it and when looking through it, the optics are excellent...as good as clearview's.

I decided to do a quick swap out with the Kuryakyn AirMaster to see which performed better.  The MadStad wins hands down...and I really like my Kury too.

With the Kury, I can feel fast air just a hand's width on either side of my helmet and the buffeting ripples just off the top.  With the MadStad, I don't feel any fast air for at least a foot away on the side and the air I do feel above the helmet is diffused and not buffeting.  If you reach up and put your hand between the MadStad shields you can really feel the volume & and velocity of the air and appreciate how this thing works.

I took pics of both shields to compare looks...they are worlds apart on that score as well.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 08:04:21 PM »

the Kury

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 08:05:26 PM »

Mad

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 08:06:23 PM »

Kury

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »

Kury

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »

MadStad

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »

Beemer-

Looked at the Madstad website. And it looks like you have your w/s mounted a lot farther away and higher than in the website pics, or do you have a taller w/s than what is pictured on their site?
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »

What kind of helmet do you wear that you would need that level of protection from the wind? I use a Full Face C3 and found that I could not get enough air to my vents on the helmet with the stock shield so I went shorter to get more air.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »

Beemer-

Looked at the Madstad website. And it looks like you have your w/s mounted a lot farther away and higher than in the website pics, or do you have a taller w/s than what is pictured on their site?

Cruisin,

My shield is the same size as the Orange bike and yes, I have mine up & out further than him.  He's said to be 6' 4" tall too...I'm 5' 11".  This setting works for me but the positions are almost infinite.  I tried it low and close like his but got some unwanted buffeting.  I'm sure to play with it some more later-on and I may be able to get better performance with it down lower.  When I was tweaking it looking for the sweet spot, I went through quite a few positions...some subtle changes and some major. 

You've also got to do this on a calm day...errant wind gusts will throw your perspective way off.   

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »

What kind of helmet do you wear that you would need that level of protection from the wind? I use a Full Face C3 and found that I could not get enough air to my vents on the helmet with the stock shield so I went shorter to get more air.

duranh,

Heck man, I've got all kinds of helmets!  From my super light/vented Airoh Naked to a couple 3/4 helmets and a Full face FXRG (HJC) Carbon Kevlar.  They all have their duty assignments for different weather/riding situations. 

Its hotter than heck here in GA now...we went from an early spring right into the dog-days of what we usually get in the end of July thru all Aug.  High 90s and high humidity...nothing like it!  I've got all my lowers/air dish between forks/snap-on air deverters off the bike to help keep cooler...as much as you can do on a RG.

I see you have the 11 SEURG...have you stripped her down to cool down or is SoCal not all that hot this summer?

If you're

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »

Not stripped down, I still have the lowers on and have not had a problem. I already have plans to change out the exhaust, next week or two to cool down the leg. I have been from 35~ to 115~ but always in dry climate so that makes it a little better. I have done quite a bit of riding in your area in the heat of it. Kinda like riding in a steam room and not my cup o tea.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.