Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: My seat is ripping at the seam.  (Read 13582 times)

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
My seat is ripping at the seam.
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »

my seat is ripping at the seam, the Diller said HD told them I need to  BUY a new one and send the old one to them so the can determine if it's under warranty or not. if it's warranty they would reimburse me the money. Otherwise I have to pay for the seat. I told them why would I buy a new one. If this is going to happen after four months. :'( what do you guys think. here is a picture of it.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
Re: My seat is ripping at the seam.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:07:35 PM »

Clearly a Warranty issue. Tell yourDealer to belly up and buy it for you on his dime!

:bananarock:  :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

my seat is ripping at the seam, the Diller said HD told them I need to  BUY a new one and send the old one to them so the can determine if it's under warranty or not. if it's warranty they would reimburse me the money. Otherwise I have to pay for the seat. I told them why would I buy a new one. If this is going to happen after four months. :'( what do you guys think. here is a picture of it.

That's Bullchit...obviously, it is coming apart at the seam, which is a manufacturing defect.  If your dealer won't take care of you, I'd call HD Customer Service and register a warranty claim.  Send them the photo you posted here...an idiot can tell that is a manufacturing problem and nothing you could have possibly done.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »

mine is doing the same thing....guess I'd better take ti down there...I'll send 'em the damn seat...then I can put some miles on my new 'blade...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Matt k

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »

common issue. My dealer brought it to my attention before I noticed it.  Replaced with no questions.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »

To put it bluntly, I believe your dealer is lying through his teeth.  As sorry as H-D is in terms of customer service, I've never heard of them telling someone to buy a part and send the defective one to them to determine if it's warrantable or not.  BS!

Tell the jackass who told you that to call his Harley rep while you're standing there and get a decision to replace it immediately, or make an appointment for you to meet with the rep at the dealership.  Call H-D customer service and get it all documented as well.  And if you've got any sense, find another dealership for any future business dealings.  I wouldn't even buy a T-shirt from such a crook.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »

same on mine brought back to dealer with 9000 miles they order me a new one under warranty no problem Cox's in Rock hilll SC
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:08:53 AM »

had 2 of them replaced already with no questions asked, and I know of a few others that had the same problem all they have to do is have the dealer take a digital and send it to the factory rep. I they give you a hard time your dealer sucks
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »

Had my Ultra seat also replace. No problem. Warranty.
Bill

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

Had the same issue with mine. Replaced under warranty no problem. The service manager said if it's in the seam they can replace without approval other wise you're SOL. Harley Shop of Wytheville, VA, good folks.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »

That's BS.  They're lying to you...   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 02:55:38 AM »

Mine was replaced @ 3000 miles. Don't let them BS you!  The MOCO will replace it!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 07:47:25 AM »

Mine was ordered at delivery because you could see the stitching was letting go. Smoky Mtn HD called me three days later & replaced under warranty.Sounds like your dealer is blowing smoke up your backside imho! :(
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

mark

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:37:13 PM »

x 2 on "that sounds like crap."  If your crankshaft broke, would you have to buy another one while the dealer sends  original back to HD.  I can't believe some of the dealer excuses I read on this site.  Tell them if you've got to buy another seat, it won't be from HD...too many good aftermarket seats out there to spend money on a seat that falls apart at the stitching.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »

This thread displays one of the many benefits of this site. Great support and additional corroboration on common issues with great advice on how to get results. Love this place!

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »

I took it to a different dealer they said should be no problem might take a little time to get an answer. And I did tell them if I had to buy one It would not be a HD seat Or from a HD dealer.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »

That's BS.  They're lying to you...   :nixweiss:

X-2. Went to Dealer, North Texas HD and Zack the   Service Manager looked at seat, ordered a new one no questions asked.   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

kjun

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »

My seat did the same thing. dealer replaced with new one at there cost. no problems if it does it again I may just choose a different seat.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »

Same thing, same place on seat.  Dealer warranteed mine with no guff.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »

Mine is doing the same chit!!!!! I am heading to the dealer !!!

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »

As a former H-D warranty guy, I can honestly say whoever told you that has been eating retard sandwiches.  Go to a different dealer...and never step foot in that dealership again.  Buying a new seat and then finding out if it's under warranty is a bunch of feces.  They deserve to go down in flames with the rest of the horrible customer service dealerships in these tough times.  Take your business somewhere else...you and all of us will be happy you did.

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »

I went to a different dealer they fixed it, no problem :orange: :mango: :bananarock:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »

Sounds like it's time to play another exciting round of "DUMP YOUR DEALER!"

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

NOLAN

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »

Clearly a Warranty issue. Tell yourDealer to belly up and buy it for you on his dime!

:bananarock:  :bananarock:

Brad

i was told only 1 warranty exchange so waitr till 2 years is almost up

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »

i was told only 1 warranty exchange so waitr till 2 years is almost up

You were told wrong.  Some folks have had their dealers feed them the same BS on chrome parts, only one part and only one time.  I'm sorry, but that is not how warranty works, and that BS is not supported by warranty law.  See, that's the fly in the ointment for Harley and the crooked dealerships, at least in the USA they have to comply with Federal warranty laws.

If they were talking about a problem that didn't fall under warranty but they were taking care of it as a goodwill adjustment, then yes it would make sense if they said they would take care of it only one time as a goodwill measure.  But when it is a definite defect, which this seat deal definitely is, then it doesn't matter if they replace it 6 times and it fails again within the warranty period, they still are obligated to replace it.  One might hope they'd get the seat supplier to fix the root cause of the problem before having to replace a seat 6 times, but considering the company we're talking about  who knows?

Don't let them put you off.  If you continue to ride two years it will continue to get worse, and then they might point out any obvious wear and tear on the rest of the seat and tell you it's just regular wear and tear, you'll have to pay.  More than one crooked place has pulled that sort of stuff over the years.  Regardless, get it documented in writing and photo's, and if the dealer jerks you around find another one or go straight to H-D and bypass the dealer.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »

X2...like Jerry said, a warranty is a warranty, and since HD warraties their bikes for 2 years, unlimited mileage, they are obligated to repair/replace anything that is not considered to be a normal wear item, which would include things like brake pads, belts, tires, etc.  A seat coming apart at the seam is no fault of the owner, unless there are signs of obvious abuse/neglect elsewhere on the seat.  Who wants to ride around with a seat coming apart?  Next thing you know, they'll be telling you to put some black duct tape on it and call it good... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

LTbawb

• Battalion Chief : retired
  • Junior CVO Member
  • "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED"
    • NJ

• CVO1: '05 CANDY TEAL 2 TONE SEEG
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Granite/ Black SERGU
    • CVO3: Hmmmm?
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »

I also have the same seat seam letting go with less than 2100 miles on bike! I am still waiting a response from my dealer, but bike is as new as can be with a ripped seat!! this is scary.Over a year left on original warranty also!
Thanks & Many Safe Miles,
Bob

TANKS 250

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra 110 Screaming Eagle
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »

It will keep happening, even after they replace it,...it is just a poor design, and poor quality.

I've had my 2011 RGU for 8 months...got 12,ooo miles on the clock....I'm on my 3rd seat...
My Old Scoots:
1996 Heritage Softail Classic - 2006 Road King Classic

My newest Scoot: 2011 Road Glide Ultra S.E 110 CVO

My other vehicle:
2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY, HIGHLY modified.

nu_glider

• 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »

As long as it is under warranty I am ok.  What scares me is the $1,200.00 + after the warranty runs out.
Rio Red & Black Ember: Fuel Moto Jackpot ceramic coated stainless head pipe, Fullsac Performance 1.75 baffles, SERT, Nostalgic saddlebag rails Windvest tinted 13" windshield, DayMaker LED lamps, Custom Dynamic LED turn signals, white front & red rear with smoked lenses.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »

As long as it is under warranty I am ok.  What scares me is the $1,200.00 + after the warranty runs out.

Keep good records of all the failures and all the replacements under warranty, and when it fails again after the warranty expires contact the MoCo and insist that they continue to replace the seats until they actually fix the problem.  When you have an existing and ongoing defect that they do not fix, the fact that your 24 months has expired doesn't mean a whole lot in the legal world.  This is why I recommend folks get this handled as soon as it becomes apparent and not fall for the "wait until just before your warranty expires" BS.  You need to establish hard evidence of the multiple failures to show the pattern of poor quality and lack of any real resolution.

Jerry

nu_glider

• 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:31 AM »

there's another post on this site with a picture of the newly redesigned seat.  Mine was replaced just last week with the new style.  It looks like it should last longer this time..  All the MoCo is hoping to do is get you past the factory 2yr warranty.  If you purchased the extended warranty the seat will not be oovered beyond the first two years they tell me.  Now if the seat heater were to quit working I'm not sure what they will do about that.  Replace the seat?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:34:08 AM by nu_glider »
Rio Red & Black Ember: Fuel Moto Jackpot ceramic coated stainless head pipe, Fullsac Performance 1.75 baffles, SERT, Nostalgic saddlebag rails Windvest tinted 13" windshield, DayMaker LED lamps, Custom Dynamic LED turn signals, white front & red rear with smoked lenses.

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red AKA "Red Rider"
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »

Try this one for new seat design.....http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=71274.0

nu_glider

• 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »

First and foremost thanks to Zack in warranty and Daniel in service at North TX HD.  Zack had the seat ordered and replaced with Daniel's help in a matter of days.  I want to also give a shout out to Donald in Parts who has always done an outstanding job too.  Together they were able to get my set ordered and replaced with no issues what so ever.  None of this crap about not under warranty.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:10:36 PM by nu_glider »

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »

I just went over 2 yrs and now my seat is doing the same thing.  I probably wont get lucky with my dealer  :-X
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

Jerry/MD

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »

Anybody had their seat replaced past 2 years? I have the ESP and the seam on my seat is starting to open. I'm figuring they will claim normal wear-n-tear on a bike with close to 16k miles. What do you think?  :-\

Jerry

LTbawb

• Battalion Chief : retired
  • Junior CVO Member
  • "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED"
    • NJ

• CVO1: '05 CANDY TEAL 2 TONE SEEG
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Granite/ Black SERGU
    • CVO3: Hmmmm?
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »

Hello Jerry,
Don't let them off the hook, they are well aware of the Poor design. Just stick to your guns, I have had 2 replacements before the "New design" was issued.
If they balk w/ you, just go thru C/S @ MOCO, that case # ususally gets the right people involved.
Whatever yoou do don't let that "wear , Tear" crap fly, that seat design is in it's 3rd flip,since my '11 got the 2 new seats, there not cheap so they stall. But my ,; dealer already had 3 spares in stock,waiting on the returns!
Good Luck,
LtBawb (Bob)
Thanks & Many Safe Miles,
Bob

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »

Why don't you buy one of those cheap a$$ Chinese made replacement seats.  The quality is much, much better than what H-D is putting on the bikes now.  Heck, they even come with a one year warranty.  H-D seats are the poorest quality seats on the market today.
Jesus is Lord

Jerry/MD

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »

Hello Jerry,
Don't let them off the hook, they are well aware of the Poor design. Just stick to your guns, I have had 2 replacements before the "New design" was issued.
If they balk w/ you, just go thru C/S @ MOCO, that case # ususally gets the right people involved.
Whatever yoou do don't let that "wear , Tear" crap fly, that seat design is in it's 3rd flip,since my '11 got the 2 new seats, there not cheap so they stall. But my ,; dealer already had 3 spares in stock,waiting on the returns!
Good Luck,
LtBawb (Bob)

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bob. I will pursue with the dealer. I knew they were on Rev 2 of that seat...but now it`s up to 3? :'( Yep, that`s a sure indication they had a problem. I would go with something else but:

1. Some of you may think I'm nuts but this is the most comfortable seat I have owned

2. I ride as much as possible so having a heated seat is a nice feature

Wish me luck..............  ;)

Jerry

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »

Why don't you buy one of those cheap a$$ Chinese made replacement seats.  The quality is much, much better than what H-D is putting on the bikes now.  Heck, they even come with a one year warranty.  H-D seats are the poorest quality seats on the market today.
Where do you think MoCo gets their seats?  :o
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 07:49:25 PM »

Anybody had their seat replaced past 2 years? I have the ESP and the seam on my seat is starting to open. I'm figuring they will claim normal wear-n-tear on a bike with close to 16k miles. What do you think?  :-\

Jerry

I'm pretty certain that the ESP does not cover the seat cover (or any other "cosmetic" stuff).  It should cover the electrical part if that fails, but even that will depend on how the contract is actually worded.  However, I wouldn't be looking to the ESP to take care of the seat cover failure, I'd be looking to Harley to take care of it even if the bike is out of the factory warranty.  It is a known product defect, and they can't claim otherwise considering how many have been replaced so far and the fact they've had to redesign it.  The trick is to find someone at H-D who will do the right thing and approve the replacement at no cost to you.  It might help if your dealer is on your side and will go to bat with the MoCo for you as well.

Jerry

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »

There's a reason they call them stealerships.   :rifle:

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »

Renay's warranty expires the end of August.  She has the ESP but didn't want to take a chance they wouldn't cover her seat.  It just started pulling apart in the last month so she took it to our local dealer last week and he said no problem.., he ordered her a new one and when it came in she drove over and they exchanged it.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »

Renay's warranty expires the end of August.  She has the ESP but didn't want to take a chance they wouldn't cover her seat.  It just started pulling apart in the last month so she took it to our local dealer last week and he said no problem.., he ordered her a new one and when it came in she drove over and they exchanged it.

:idea:
Probably changed it cause it was a blue bike.
They are special!
Don't hate me, it's true.
:P

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »

:idea:
Probably changed it cause it was a blue bike.
They are special!
Don't hate me, it's true.
:P

SBB

:D ;D :P. I have to agree with you on this one Chip!  I was shocked that they gave her no grief, so I'm convinced it was because she has the BLUE MC.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Jerry/MD

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »

I'm pretty certain that the ESP does not cover the seat cover (or any other "cosmetic" stuff).  It should cover the electrical part if that fails, but even that will depend on how the contract is actually worded.  However, I wouldn't be looking to the ESP to take care of the seat cover failure, I'd be looking to Harley to take care of it even if the bike is out of the factory warranty.  It is a known product defect, and they can't claim otherwise considering how many have been replaced so far and the fact they've had to redesign it.  The trick is to find someone at H-D who will do the right thing and approve the replacement at no cost to you.  It might help if your dealer is on your side and will go to bat with the MoCo for you as well.

Jerry

Interesting wording in my ESP regarding this subject Jerry. In 'Non-Covered Items' they state "Trim, Upholstery and Paint". So does this mean upholstery if it is a part of a trim item? Nothing in the contract says anything about the seat. I'm no lawyer so who knows.  :-\

Jerry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »

Interesting wording in my ESP regarding this subject Jerry. In 'Non-Covered Items' they state "Trim, Upholstery and Paint". So does this mean upholstery if it is a part of a trim item? Nothing in the contract says anything about the seat. I'm no lawyer so who knows.  :-\

Jerry

Upholstery is the seat or backrest covering.  Trim is stuff like the plastic surrounds for the speakers, gauges, etc., or the chrome strips on things like bag lids, rubber or plastic inserts on footboards, fuel tank consoles, and any other cosmetic item.  So as I mentioned previously, the seat cover is not covered.  But I believe you will find that the seat heater would be covered under the electrical coverage of the ESP unless they specifically exclude it, for whatever that is worth.

It's a known product defect, and I think that is the way you need to address it with H-D.

Jerry

Jerry/MD

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »

Upholstery is the seat or backrest covering.  Trim is stuff like the plastic surrounds for the speakers, gauges, etc., or the chrome strips on things like bag lids, rubber or plastic inserts on footboards, fuel tank consoles, and any other cosmetic item.  So as I mentioned previously, the seat cover is not covered.  But I believe you will find that the seat heater would be covered under the electrical coverage of the ESP unless they specifically exclude it, for whatever that is worth.

It's a known product defect, and I think that is the way you need to address it with H-D.

Jerry

I hear ya and agree. I will see what they have to say and report back. Bad timing on my part. Factory 2 year warranty expired on July 30. Figures......  :(

Jerry/MD

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »

Well I got the call...getting a new seat.  ;D

Gotta say my local dealer (H-D of Baltimore) has taken care of me on a few warranty issues. :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry

ICBB

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6 - 2011 CVO Ultra Classic Electraglide
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »

Mind did too, after about 1 year. I contacted HD Europe direct about it and so did my dealer through their own Harley Davidson network of contacts.  It took me nine months, with regular chasing from me and weekly chasing by my dealer before Harley Davidson agreed to replace it under warranty - in fact I had the new seat fitted this morning! I now know why they were so reluctant - they cost £1,150 (circa $1,600).  Interesting Harley's position was "they had never seen this stitching problem before anywhere!"  My advice is keeping pushing them for a free replacement.  The new seat by the way has a different structure so the seems overlap.

Good luck.  Regards, John
Keep it the 'shiny side' up!

John

Jerry/MD

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »

Mind did too, after about 1 year. I contacted HD Europe direct about it and so did my dealer through their own Harley Davidson network of contacts.  It took me nine months, with regular chasing from me and weekly chasing by my dealer before Harley Davidson agreed to replace it under warranty - in fact I had the new seat fitted this morning! I now know why they were so reluctant - they cost £1,150 (circa $1,600).  Interesting Harley's position was "they had never seen this stitching problem before anywhere!"  My advice is keeping pushing them for a free replacement.  The new seat by the way has a different structure so the seems overlap.

Good luck.  Regards, John

That's a shame John. As you can see by the numerous posts this is a problem the MOCO is VERY familiar with. I'm not in the habit of complaining to my local dealer...but when it comes to a known problem...they are gonna hear about it.

Jerry

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »

To put it bluntly, I believe your dealer is lying through his teeth.  As sorry as H-D is in terms of customer service, I've never heard of them telling someone to buy a part and send the defective one to them to determine if it's warrantable or not.  BS!

Tell the jackass who told you that to call his Harley rep while you're standing there and get a decision to replace it immediately, or make an appointment for you to meet with the rep at the dealership.  Call H-D customer service and get it all documented as well.  And if you've got any sense, find another dealership for any future business dealings.  I wouldn't even buy a T-shirt from such a crook.

Jerry

I agree with you 100% Jerry.
Go to another dealership with your current and future dealings.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 22 queries.