Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: My seat is ripping at the seam.  (Read 13581 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: My seat is ripping at the seam.
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »

Interesting wording in my ESP regarding this subject Jerry. In 'Non-Covered Items' they state "Trim, Upholstery and Paint". So does this mean upholstery if it is a part of a trim item? Nothing in the contract says anything about the seat. I'm no lawyer so who knows.  :-\

Jerry

Upholstery is the seat or backrest covering.  Trim is stuff like the plastic surrounds for the speakers, gauges, etc., or the chrome strips on things like bag lids, rubber or plastic inserts on footboards, fuel tank consoles, and any other cosmetic item.  So as I mentioned previously, the seat cover is not covered.  But I believe you will find that the seat heater would be covered under the electrical coverage of the ESP unless they specifically exclude it, for whatever that is worth.

It's a known product defect, and I think that is the way you need to address it with H-D.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jerry/MD

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »

Upholstery is the seat or backrest covering.  Trim is stuff like the plastic surrounds for the speakers, gauges, etc., or the chrome strips on things like bag lids, rubber or plastic inserts on footboards, fuel tank consoles, and any other cosmetic item.  So as I mentioned previously, the seat cover is not covered.  But I believe you will find that the seat heater would be covered under the electrical coverage of the ESP unless they specifically exclude it, for whatever that is worth.

It's a known product defect, and I think that is the way you need to address it with H-D.

Jerry

I hear ya and agree. I will see what they have to say and report back. Bad timing on my part. Factory 2 year warranty expired on July 30. Figures......  :(

Jerry/MD

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »

Well I got the call...getting a new seat.  ;D

Gotta say my local dealer (H-D of Baltimore) has taken care of me on a few warranty issues. :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry

ICBB

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6 - 2011 CVO Ultra Classic Electraglide
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »

Mind did too, after about 1 year. I contacted HD Europe direct about it and so did my dealer through their own Harley Davidson network of contacts.  It took me nine months, with regular chasing from me and weekly chasing by my dealer before Harley Davidson agreed to replace it under warranty - in fact I had the new seat fitted this morning! I now know why they were so reluctant - they cost £1,150 (circa $1,600).  Interesting Harley's position was "they had never seen this stitching problem before anywhere!"  My advice is keeping pushing them for a free replacement.  The new seat by the way has a different structure so the seems overlap.

Good luck.  Regards, John
Keep it the 'shiny side' up!

John

Jerry/MD

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »

Mind did too, after about 1 year. I contacted HD Europe direct about it and so did my dealer through their own Harley Davidson network of contacts.  It took me nine months, with regular chasing from me and weekly chasing by my dealer before Harley Davidson agreed to replace it under warranty - in fact I had the new seat fitted this morning! I now know why they were so reluctant - they cost £1,150 (circa $1,600).  Interesting Harley's position was "they had never seen this stitching problem before anywhere!"  My advice is keeping pushing them for a free replacement.  The new seat by the way has a different structure so the seems overlap.

Good luck.  Regards, John

That's a shame John. As you can see by the numerous posts this is a problem the MOCO is VERY familiar with. I'm not in the habit of complaining to my local dealer...but when it comes to a known problem...they are gonna hear about it.

Jerry

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »

To put it bluntly, I believe your dealer is lying through his teeth.  As sorry as H-D is in terms of customer service, I've never heard of them telling someone to buy a part and send the defective one to them to determine if it's warrantable or not.  BS!

Tell the jackass who told you that to call his Harley rep while you're standing there and get a decision to replace it immediately, or make an appointment for you to meet with the rep at the dealership.  Call H-D customer service and get it all documented as well.  And if you've got any sense, find another dealership for any future business dealings.  I wouldn't even buy a T-shirt from such a crook.

Jerry

I agree with you 100% Jerry.
Go to another dealership with your current and future dealings.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.