Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Deceleration Front End Wobble on 2011 Roadglide Ultra  (Read 24284 times)

wreckdiving

Deceleration Front End Wobble on 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »

Just wondering if this is normal or not, But about a month ago I bought a new 11 roadglide Ultra CVO.  The question I have is, while decelerating if I just lightly take my hands off the grips my front end starts to wobble.  My brother said its a reaction from the tranny slowing the bike down.  Is this true or does the bike need to have its wheels re balanced. I dont recall ever feeling this on my roadking.  Any advice before I call the dealer and have them give me a bunch of excuses I would like to hear from the RG owners out there.  I appreciate it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Deceleration Front End Wobble on 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »

Just wondering if this is normal or not, But about a month ago I bought a new 11 roadglide Ultra CVO.  The question I have is, while decelerating if I just lightly take my hands off the grips my front end starts to wobble.  My brother said its a reaction from the tranny slowing the bike down.  Is this true or does the bike need to have its wheels re balanced. I dont recall ever feeling this on my roadking.  Any advice before I call the dealer and have them give me a bunch of excuses I would like to hear from the RG owners out there.  I appreciate it!

There are existing threads on the site concerning this very subject, and many Road Glide owner's have had similar experiences.  The short answer is NO, it is not normal.  The dealer needs to check the steering head bearing preload.  And he needs to make sure he is using the latest specs for Road Glides, which is different than the other Touring models.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »

A front end decerleration problem on a Road Glide is not "normal" (whatever that is) but very "typical."  See here:   Front End wobble at 45-50 mph.  Jerry is correct.  This has been common since the 2009's.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »

Tighten the head bearings up. Had the same issue, mine are set at 1 swing. Tighter than HD specs and I really don't care , problem solved..     
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »

I've got a friend with a 09 and his has been in to the dealer more than once and steering head brgs tightened and still will tank slap if you let go of the bars on decel.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »

I've got a friend with a 09 and his has been in to the dealer more than once and steering head brgs tightened and still will tank slap if you let go of the bars on decel.

Tell him to find a different dealer.  It's a well publicized problem, and unless there is something seriously wrong with wheel balance or runout, setting the steering head bearing preload correctly will take care of the problem.  The specs for a Road Glide are significantly different than those for an Electraglide, and if the "technician" is just setting the swing to 3 or thereabouts like he would on an e'glide, he's way off.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RickD

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »

I'm with Texas, mine had the same issue, 1 swing cured it....
2011 FLTRUSE
Fullsac Stg II
Andrews 54's
Rhineharts

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »

Of Course this is my favorite topic on here.   Do exactly what Jerry says or you will be miserable with that bike. A front end wobble is nothing to ignore. Get that corrected. 

jcd520

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »

My SESG did this also right out of the crate----------------no it is not normal but as stated above ----commonplace. Always run proper air pressure(helped mine---42 lbs. front) and have your steering head bearings tightened. It might still do it some but it will help. Secondly, don't ever let  go of the bars!

jessie2011

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:32 AM »

I too had this problem from the show room floor, my local dealer rebalanced the front wheel and adjusted the fall-away.  I continued to have this problem.  I road to myrtle beach bike week and then to Daytona last week and the wobble drove me crazy, so I had the Daytona dealer check both the balance and the fall-away again and found the balance out.  Afterwards the bike was a different bike, perfect.  It was a joy to ride the 600 miles ride home.  Don't give up.
Jessie
Jessiesn

Falcon 2000

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »

Just had the dealer tighten my head bearing, problem went away.

NoMore

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »

GET THAT BIKE IN ASAP!!! My friends had the EXACT same problem. Took it to the dealer and said "oh yeah know exactly what the problem is" they were aware of this problem evidently from what the mechanic said. They made an adjustment and it solved the proble for a bit. Then while in the hills of TN it started again only this time at less than 25mph the bike would not round a curve. The riders behind him said they saw him fighting with the handlebars to steer since leaning wasnt doing the trick and they crashed. She lost her leg. No lawyer would take the case here in Texas but I directed them to BAM(EVERY biker should be a member and it's free). A group of lawyers went out to the auction house where the bike was set for sale by the insurance. They inspected the bike and found a flaw in the design and now have the bike in storage and are going after Harley for this. Do NOT risk it. I don't know all the details but from what I have gathered so far something in the cabling but if your dealer says it is just an adjustment bolt they are lying. It is something more.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »

GET THAT BIKE IN ASAP!!! My friends had the EXACT same problem. Took it to the dealer and said "oh yeah know exactly what the problem is" they were aware of this problem evidently from what the mechanic said. They made an adjustment and it solved the proble for a bit. Then while in the hills of TN it started again only this time at less than 25mph the bike would not round a curve. The riders behind him said they saw him fighting with the handlebars to steer since leaning wasnt doing the trick and they crashed. She lost her leg. No lawyer would take the case here in Texas but I directed them to BAM(EVERY biker should be a member and it's free). A group of lawyers went out to the auction house where the bike was set for sale by the insurance. They inspected the bike and found a flaw in the design and now have the bike in storage and are going after Harley for this. Do NOT risk it. I don't know all the details but from what I have gathered so far something in the cabling but if your dealer says it is just an adjustment bolt they are lying. It is something more.

Never, ever heard of that before...would be interested to hear more detail about a "cable" causing someone to crash.  The steering head bearings must be seated and tightened appropriately or you get the wobble.  As mentioned, HD revised the spec on the Road Glide to 1-1.5 "swings".  Once that adjustment has been made correctly the problem goes away...the key word being correctly.  It can happen on a Batwing bike as well, but is not as common from reports I've read, and the number of swings on a Batwing is different than on a RG.

Whatever the case, I hope they get to the bottom of it and take care of your friend.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 07:33:44 PM »

Just picked up an 11 FLTRUSE and experienced the same thing. Dealer adjusted it but said there still might be "some wobble." Yes indeed there was still "some" wobble - idiot!!!  Went to another dealer and problem solved.  Second dealer actually tore the front end apart, replaced the bearing, lot's of lube and set to one swing fall away. Problem solved, however, this begs the question: I thought the new frame was designed to eliminate the tank slapper problems with the old frame? With all the lawsuits and bad publicity HD got back then, you would think they'd get it right this time.  Finally, if I hear one more service manager say "you should keep your hands on the bar at all times" I will attempt to wring his neck. I think HD gave them all the same script as if to place blame on the rider and minimize the MoCo's liability. Thanks for hearing me out.  PJ
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:51:21 AM by pj57 »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »

Just picked up an 11 FLTRUSE and experienced the same thing. Dealer adjusted it but said there still might be "some wobble." Yes indeed there was still "some" wobble - idiot!!!  Went to another dealer and problem solved.  Second dealer actually tore the front end apart, replaced the bearing, lot's of lube and set to one swing fall away. Problem solved, however, this begs the question: I thought the new frame was designed to eliminate the tank slapper problems with the old frame? With all the lawsuits and bad publicity HD got back then, you would think they'd get it right this time.  Finally, if I hear one more service manager say "you should keep your hands on the bar at all times" I will attempt to wring his neck. I think HD gave them all the same script as if to place blame on the rider and minimize the MoCo's liability. Thanks for hearing me out.  PJ

The old frame design could cause the tail to wag the dog, particularly in high speed sweepers...a different kind of wobble than is being experienced because of the neck bearing not being adjusted correctly, or not assembled correctly.

TTS Mastertune

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »

Hey TC, what's 1-1.5 "swings"? I'm used to the terms, inch pounds, foot pounds.
The "TAZMUN"

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 11:11:32 PM »

It's when the bike is off the ground and you have the handle bars turned all the way to the left and the released..   the swing is made when when it goes all the way to the right side and then back to the left again.  Road Glides are set up differently from electra glides.  Have a reputable guy set up your bike properly and it shouldnt wobble,   Road glides seem to have a tendency to wobble if the head bearings arent seated and tightened properly..  pretty scary when that happens. :o :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:15:07 PM by cvostu »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 11:59:52 AM »

Hey TC, what's 1-1.5 "swings"? I'm used to the terms, inch pounds, foot pounds.

What Stu said is what I'm referrring to.  I've also read some other reports of people simply getting the bike off the ground, tweaking the nut down to fully seat the bearings in the races, then backing off to between 9-18 ft lbs on a Torque wrench.

TTS Mastertune

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »

My bike was worse with the oem tires & wheels & much better now with the aftermarket set up I have on it now. I've had the head bearings replaced now & it's completly gone. It almost felt as if a bearing had came out of the cage at times.I'm just happy it's fixed now!
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »

Im happy for you that its better,,  so strange the RG has that issue,,  I picked my new street glide yesterday and the front end is a solid as a rock..    just perfect,,  thats why i stayed with an electra glide.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:58:33 AM by cvostu »

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 08:40:40 AM »

So, went to dealer, yesterday, for front end wobble on decel. I watched as they checked, bike had one and a quarter swings. Dealer is ordering a new tire, says he has seen the tire cause this. As a separate issue I have warped front rotors (strong pulsation when braking) dealer says that may contribute to problem; I am not so sure about his diagnosis, bike is smooth at speed, only problem is when braking or on decel.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Manvessel

• CVO1: '11 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »

Yes, warped discs on the front forks will definitely cause some serious shaking with decel braking.  My HD mechanic suggested that you don't do any hard braking for the first 500-750 miles to let the discs and pads break-in properly (interestingly, Toyota also states this in their owners manual for Avalon's).  He also states that 1-1/4 swing is within the upper end of tolerances for the front end of the RG.  All that and the change of tire should get you "straightened out" (no pun intended). :2vrolijk_21:

panhead

• Panhead

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO Frosted Ivory & Vintage brown
    • CVO2: 2002 Ultra Classic orange & black
    • CVO3: 1963 Duo Glide all orignal
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »

Bought new road glide ultra too 2011 on the way home took hands off while slowing down and front end wobbled hard. thanks for all the info will take it back for swing 1 adjustment.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »

Good luck. If the bearings are seated properly and tightened down enough, your problem should be solved.  It is frustration to buy a bike like that it it wobbles on decel.  Take care of that and you should have a great motorcycle there.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:56:45 PM by cvostu »

cptdenny

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »

I'm at 4.5K miles and no wobble from day one.  I rode last weekend for nearly 5 miles with the cruise on without holding on to the handle bars.  It felt so steady I was reminded of how I use to surf a bike back in the '70's by standing straight up on the seat.
2015 FLTRUSE

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »

Every Touring I have owned would wobble on decell when hands free, including my brand new 2012.  With the front wheel off the ground, I tighten the headset
until I can feel just the slightest drag. Problem solved. Harley Spec and what works are unrelated. If I remember, there was an episode of
the Flintstones where Fred and Barney were using the Harley fall away method. On the test ride, Fred went into a tank slapper and crashed breaking his
granite half helmet into little pieces. Its 2012 and nothing has changed.

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 10:38:57 PM »

No wobble at all on my sesg3. Just sayin' ;)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 10:34:30 AM »

No wobble at all on my sesg3. Just sayin' ;)

They must have screwed up and over tightened the headset.  :2vrolijk_21:

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:13 AM »

I know just because it is in spec, that does not make it right.  have the dealer tighten the neck bearings and the best riding bike ever will be even better for you. :soapbox:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 11:23:54 AM »

For about the last 25 years, a lot of modern motorcycles have a common device installed from the factory called a steering stabilizer.
Its a small shock absorber that creates friction in the headset preventing oscillation. Over tightening the headset provides a similar effect.
They are simple devices that dramatically improve steering stability, rider confidence and resulting customer satisfaction when something expensive works right.
At Bonneville, you can not pass tech with out one. I'm sure one of the young guns in the Harley engineering department has suggested their use.
Most likely got shot down because they lacked cosmetic appeal.
Maybe some day.

SG

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »

For about the last 25 years, a lot of modern motorcycles have a common device installed from the factory called a steering stabilizer.
Its a small shock absorber that creates friction in the headset preventing oscillation. Over tightening the headset provides a similar effect.
They are simple devices that dramatically improve steering stability, rider confidence and resulting customer satisfaction when something expensive works right.
At Bonneville, you can not pass tech with out one. I'm sure one of the young guns in the Harley engineering department has suggested their use.
Most likely got shot down because they lacked cosmetic appeal.
Maybe some day.

SG

Are there any stabilizers out there specifically marketed for HD touring bikes?

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »

Are there any stabilizers out there specifically marketed for HD touring bikes?

The Tri-Glide comes standard with one.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

The Tri-Glide comes standard with one.

Has anyone here used one on a bi-wheeled bike?

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »

Has anyone here used one on a bi-wheeled bike?

I have never personally seen one on an HD, non-Tri-Glide, but I have seen them on other brands of Bikes (particularly some of the more race worthy models from the Land of the Rising Sun.)

2012 FLHXSE3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »

I'm sure one of the young guns in the Harley engineering department has suggested their use.
Most likely got shot down because they lacked cosmetic appeal
Maybe some day.

SG

Actually, as long as they used the chrome version with the bar and shield emblem on the adjuster knob, Willy would probably give the green light for it as an extra cost option or accessory.  But the real reason for not offering one, or even talking about it, most likely has a lot more to do with not wanting anything that looks like an admission that there is a problem with the handling of the stock motorcycle.  Harley has been fighting lawsuits over the high speed wobble issue for 30 years, and I doubt their legal department would buy off on any sort of add-on that would call all their previous lies about the great handling and lack of any defect into question.

Jerry

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »

Actually, as long as they used the chrome version with the bar and shield emblem on the adjuster knob, Willy would probably give the green light for it as an extra cost option or accessory.  But the real reason for not offering one, or even talking about it, most likely has a lot more to do with not wanting anything that looks like an admission that there is a problem with the handling of the stock motorcycle.  Harley has been fighting lawsuits over the high speed wobble issue for 30 years, and I doubt their legal department would buy off on any sort of add-on that would call all their previous lies about the great handling and lack of any defect into question.

Jerry
Sad but very true. The description "steering stabilizer" implies a lack of stability with out one. But I do like your Bar and shield idea!  :2vrolijk_21:

Anybody have a pic of the Tri Glide steering stabilizer. I'm interested in seeing that.

SG

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »

Found this online when I did a Google search - Steering Damper for FLH Harley-Davidson® Bikes/Trikes.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »

Found this online when I did a Google search - Steering Damper for FLH Harley-Davidson® Bikes/Trikes.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

They had me 'till they started talking about cutting the inner fairing.  Gary, why don't you get out your Dremel tool and try this out.... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :nervous:

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »

They had me 'till they started talking about cutting the inner fairing.  Gary, why don't you get out your Dremel tool and try this out.... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :nervous:
Hell No!!! :no: I'm happy as a pig in poop w/the way my bike handles now. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »

Hell No!!! :no: I'm happy as a pig in poop w/the way my bike handles now. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's the thing with good suspension...you didn't know what you were missing 'till you got something good on there.  Makes riding a lot more fun... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »

The Road Glide doesn't have that inner fairing piece, right?  :nixweiss:  (Haven't looked at mine, too lazy to uncover it right now.)

2012 FLHXSE3

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

That Steering stabilizer was being installed on a Tri Glide. The fork rake is different. I don't think that will fit a two wheeler, no room.  :confused5:

SG

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »

That Steering stabilizer was being installed on a Tri Glide. The fork rake is different. I don't think that will fit a two wheeler, no room.  :confused5:

SG
a local guy put one on his bike (purchased from the internet) got o the front brakes hard & destroyed the front fender. I'm not sure how he did it we just replaced/ refinished his fender.
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »

Actually, as long as they used the chrome version with the bar and shield emblem on the adjuster knob, Willy would probably give the green light for it as an extra cost option or accessory.  But the real reason for not offering one, or even talking about it, most likely has a lot more to do with not wanting anything that looks like an admission that there is a problem with the handling of the stock motorcycle.  Harley has been fighting lawsuits over the high speed wobble issue for 30 years, and I doubt their legal department would buy off on any sort of add-on that would call all their previous lies about the great handling and lack of any defect into question.

Jerry

Maybe they will sell an upgrade with the Willie G. Skull on it.    :skull: :oops: :nixweiss:

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

SMKY MTN CVO

• 2011 FLTRUSE CVO SE

• CVO1: 2011 Road Gluide Ultra Classic CVO-Screamin Eagle
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »

New guy here, THANKS (i think) for this topic and all the post/replies.  I just traded a '11 Electra Ultra Classic for a '11 Roadglide Ultra CVO.  I wasn't aware of deceleration wobble problems, but I have it and it was scary. It's at local shop for warranty repairs...but haven't gotten it back yet.  And yes, the HD-Service Manager gave me the same story "You got to keep your hands on the bars!". The Charcoal/Slate & Black appearance with the loaded accessories are tremendous, but having this situation is a drag.
JN

Manvessel

• CVO1: '11 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »

Have the same bike and that color combine is the best of the three choices. :2vrolijk_21: Before you take the bike back from the dealer, have them put it up off the floor and do the swing test.  Should swing just 1 to 1-1/2 times from a full left or right turn.  You'll really feel the difference in the ride.  And you can now ride occasionally and safely hands-free. :vrolijk_26:

SMKY MTN CVO

• 2011 FLTRUSE CVO SE

• CVO1: 2011 Road Gluide Ultra Classic CVO-Screamin Eagle
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »

Thanks for the info...you're correct on best of the 3-colors.  Got bike back yesterday evening.  Per HD Dealer: swing tested 1-swing, retorqued head bearings, new tire & balanced, warrantied covered.  Ride home had no deceleration wobble all the way down to 20mph. Tested several times hands free...drives smooth.  Hope this will last.   :huepfenjump3:
JN

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »

My se11 Road Glide also wobbles on decell but not with cruise selected . My 09 SE Ultra was perfect
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Frank Smith

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE SOLD:(
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHRSE5 :)
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »

I took my FLTRUSE to the dealer yesterday and reported the same problems. They were aware of the issue and fixed the problem as a warranty repair, didn't cost a dime and the wobble is all but gone. Good dealers with competent techs do exist.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 06:51:05 AM »

Hmmm. Where is your dealer located?  Sure would like to know :nixweiss:

Pony Boy

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »

I had the wobble also from the day I bought my bike in Dec 2010. Over this thime period the dealer has spent many hours attempting to fix my issue.  I have had everything checked and or replaced on my CVO Road Glide Ultra. Motor mounts, Head bearings, runout, fall away, alignment, and THREE Dunlop tires... first tire cured the wobble at 50-55 mph....wobble reappeared just at a lower speed. The second tire it moved down to 30-35mph, third tire no change....4th tire Metzler ME 880... problem solved....Again this was not "Harley Davidson" that fixed the problem rather the "DEALER" came to my rescue... many just accept this and just go on with the "company guidance" "if operated properly you should have no issue" " All checks are within specs so your motorcycle is a correct representation of the product" . So if you get a chance have your dealer try a tire other than a Dunlop....

slate

• Slate

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra / Slate
    • CVO2: 2003 Road King / Black (Sold)
    • CVO3: 1998 Honda VFR800 Intercepter
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »

Same problem on mine.  Noticed it on the way home from picking it up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 21 queries.