Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Lowering a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra  (Read 14821 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Lowering a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 05:04:37 AM »

Not 11"?  I am sure it was either 12" or 13" (stock length). 

I have the 13", thats what you need.  Personally I would look at other shocks, I hate my Arnotts. The ride sucks, very sharp IMO.  Matter of fact, want to buy the shocks & compressor?  I am sure you can get the hose kit from Arnott.  PM me if interested.  I will get you a killer deal, mine are the 11 way adjustable.
Well that just killed that idea. I do realize what one person likes might not be the best for everyone but I don't want to drop that kind of cash on something I won't like (or the Mrs for that either).
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »

Have ridden two bikes with the Arnotts installed.  No more than an hour on each.  So not a lot to go by.  But for what it's worth hated them both.  When raised to proper riding height both were really hard rides and spine shakingly abrupt going over things like driveway lips or railroad tracks.  Have also ridden one bike with the Legends kit installed.  It didn't go up and down as fast but the ride was much better. 

Having said that it was "much better" doesn't mean I thought it was great though.  Good.  But not great.  Definitely way better than the stock shocks.  But not nearly as good as the Bitubos.  About equal to a good set of Progressive 440s.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »

Ok then, off to the next though. Does MoCo make a relocation bracket to use the stock shocks and lower this thing a little? Even an inch would be like a mile to me at times.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:56 AM »

Ok then, off to the next though. Does MoCo make a relocation bracket to use the stock shocks and lower this thing a little? Even an inch would be like a mile to me at times.

Check out Pingel part number 62140. 

http://www.pingelonline.com/harley_davidson_acc.htm

Just because they are listed and exist doesn't mean I'd ever use them though. 

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »

Arnott Aldans, these are 11 way adjustable shocks with the airbags. Much better ride than any other air system I have seen and tested. I am 5'9" and have tried all of the above and now it is just air shocks (Arnott Aldans 12") and my boots lifted as well which by itself gives me 1 1/2" over tennis shoes.  I lower it to get on/off and it is much easier to stand it up from steeper angles while on the side stand.
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »

I bought my SESG used with lowering blocks already installed. The ride always seemed rather rough. When I took it for its' 1000 mile service, the tech who did the service talked with me after test driving and mentioned that the lowering blocks will cause a rough ride and premature wear to the swingarm bushings and recommended removing them. I asked if he could do it now and he did at no additional cost. It took about 10 minutes. So, be careful when considering the lowering block option.

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »

Arnott Aldans, these are 11 way adjustable shocks with the airbags. Much better ride than any other air system I have seen and tested. I am 5'9" and have tried all of the above and now it is just air shocks (Arnott Aldans 12") and my boots lifted as well which by itself gives me 1 1/2" over tennis shoes.  I lower it to get on/off and it is much easier to stand it up from steeper angles while on the side stand.

The adjustable height is why I bought mine and I do like that feature since I am only 5'5" on a CVO Ultra RG
2015 Ultra Limited Low

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

I also got the 11 way adjustable. My total hight adjustment takes it to 13" . I also have some trouble understanding why you find the ride so hard. While I have never tried any of the other options, I just can't imagin anything could be that much softer and smoother, although I have used blocks for many years and that idea is really bad.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:29:15 PM by King roadglide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 02:50:37 PM »

I have the arnott 'Aldan's' (12"- they call the short) for two years now, installed Oct 2010, work very well, I'm 5'9" - 32" inseam. Regarding the ride - if they are pumped up all the way you will have a rough ride, trick is to pump up full, then bleed off some air (1 or 1.5 second bleed off) then the ride will be enjoyable.
The difference between the short and tall 'Aldan' shocks is 3/4". the 12" version has the rear of the bike at a lower stance compared to OEM stock hight on the FLTRUSE.
I'm have been recently contemplating purchasing the 13" version for the added height when riding. I feel that the extra 3/4" height will offer an even better ride and give me added height.

Larry

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »

I have the arnott 'Aldan's' (12"- they call the short) for two years now, installed Oct 2010, work very well, I'm 5'9" - 32" inseam. Regarding the ride - if they are pumped up all the way you will have a rough ride, trick is to pump up full, then bleed off some air (1 or 1.5 second bleed off) then the ride will be enjoyable.
The difference between the short and tall 'Aldan' shocks is 3/4". the 12" version has the rear of the bike at a lower stance compared to OEM stock hight on the FLTRUSE.
I'm have been recently contemplating purchasing the 13" version for the added height when riding. I feel that the extra 3/4" height will offer an even better ride and give me added height.

Larry

PM sent.  Lets trade, I have the 13" and want 12".  Let me know.
2015 Ultra Limited Low

petewerner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »

Lv76 the 13" will work just as u say and yes the longer ones have a wider sweet spot and w/32" inseam, u will be fine.
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

petewerner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »

Ps what settings r u Aldans guys running the adjusted? When 1 up I run 3 clicks in from all the out. 2 up is 4-5 in from all the way out. And I also fill the bag til full extension and then let air out til the bike starts to drop, barely! It is great if you Play with the setup and find your sweet spot! I did and am happy with the system.
       2 list....

Glenncarp

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »

I need to lower this bike, I am 5' 5". Recommendations?

I am 5'9" with a 28" inseam. I have a little different problem b/c my '11 SERGU has the heated seat and it is thick!

I went with the 1" lowered HD air shock in the rear and I felt EVERY bridge crossing, pot hole and bump. While at Sturgis, I changed to the HD Premium ride hand adjustable rear shocks (PN 54680-10) and a HUGE difference in performance and no screwing with an air pump. This lowered the seat height by 1". I then changed out the front tubes with the newest progressive mono tubes. Lowered the bike by 3/4". Stock height and I was on the balls of my feet, now my feet are flat on the ground. Handling is stiffer, but sooooo much more reactive to leans and bar movement. A world of difference!

So much for telling the wife if we buy the CVO, we do not have to spend another dime on her!

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 12:22:33 AM »

I am 5'9" with a 28" inseam. I have a little different problem b/c my '11 SERGU has the heated seat and it is thick!

I went with the 1" lowered HD air shock in the rear and I felt EVERY bridge crossing, pot hole and bump. While at Sturgis, I changed to the HD Premium ride hand adjustable rear shocks (PN 54680-10) and a HUGE difference in performance and no screwing with an air pump. This lowered the seat height by 1". I then changed out the front tubes with the newest progressive mono tubes. Lowered the bike by 3/4". Stock height and I was on the balls of my feet, now my feet are flat on the ground. Handling is stiffer, but sooooo much more reactive to leans and bar movement. A world of difference!

So much for telling the wife if we buy the CVO, we do not have to spend another dime on her!
+1 on the HD Premium shocks.  I installed those along with lower front fork springs for an overall lowering of about 1".  I like the ride better than the stock air shocks and don't seem to have lost much in the way of cornering clearance.  At 5'6" with 28" inseam I can pretty well flatfoot it but I do have trouble getting enough leverage to back it up on any kind of upgrade. 

petewerner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »

My Arnott's are forsale, I just went to the Progressive 944's and love them and can live w/o the air bags. The ride seems to be a little firmer, and more responsive than prior choices. The Arnotts were easier for me at slow speeds when i would lower them enough, cant do that with 944's... but i ride long rides pretty often and once rolling, no air required...
       2 list....
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.