Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Under Warranty engine mods/upgrade  (Read 2990 times)

my-hdblues

• MN

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE
    • CVO3: 2011 FLTRUSE
Under Warranty engine mods/upgrade
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »

Just got my 2011 FLTRUSE and looking to get a bit more out of it.
I have not rode it yet  and will do so next month but what I've read here from you all is it needs a bit more in the pants feel.
Preferably bolt on and maybe cams.
I know the deeper the pocket the more you can build but I'm on a budget.
Have been looking at Fullsac Stage 1 and SE-259E cams.
Any thoughts or ideas.

Kel

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Under Warranty engine mods/upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »

I have not rode it yet  and will do so next month but what I've read here from you all is it needs a bit more in the pants feel.
Any thoughts or ideas.

Kel

Since you haven't ridden it yet, I'd suggest you first ride it awhile and then form your own opinion as to whether or not you need to do anything.  As surprising as it may seem, especially after reading all the stuff on sites like this one, there are plenty of folks who are perfectly happy with the stock power level.

If the title of your thread is meant to imply you are looking for mods that won't affect warranty, I'd suggest you stick to external stuff like exhaust systems.  No matter what anyone tells you, even your friendly dealer as he picks your pocket, modifications can void your warranty if they can be shown to be even remotely related to the cause of a failure.  It's kind of like playing the lottery, if you follow my meaning.

As for the Fullsac Stage I setup, it is a very widely endorsed system that has plenty of satisfied users on the site.  I'm sure many will be jumping in here with their opinions.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »

Kel,

Jerry is right on.  There are many members here who think their stock motor is more than powerful enough.  I have friends with non CVO bikes think their motors are plenty powerful.  Of course, there are others think that's too much power is never enough.  Which school of thought are you in?  If it is the latter then spend away.  There are many threads in the twin cam board which you may find informative.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »

I would second Jerry's thoughts on the matter.  IMO, it would be much harder for the MOCO to deny warranty coverage because of an exhaust change (which 90% of HD owners do) than it would be if you replace the cams along with it.  It just gives them a better excuse for denial.

For me (I have the same bike as you), the Fullsac Stage I with the TTS and canned map is performing to a level that is just fine with me, and most of my travels are two up.  Really, the stock setup was not bad, but I wanted to get rid of some of the heat coming off the CAT, plus give the bike a bit more of a HD "sound" without being obnoxiously loud.  It also improved the throttle response at low speeds and the general "drivability".  A by product of that was a bit more HP/TQ that I can actually feel.  It also maintains the stock exhaust "look", which I happen to like.  For me, the only way I'll go into the motor is if/when it has to be done because something broke.  But, I don't have the funds that some have.  I spent all my money on suspension upgrades, which, for me, make the bike more pleasurable and predictable to ride than increasing HP/TQ significantly.

I did basically the same things to the '06 SEUC I owned with the 103" motor and was content with that as well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Smitty2u

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »

I'm wrapping up a project now, that started just about like yours.  It's evolved into something very different though.  I had initially looked at the SE-259e cam.  It's defiinitley not a bolt on cam.  It does not add torque down where most of us want it.  My suggesstion is to first decide what it is you're trying to accomplish and then find a shop you trust and let them give you some guidance.  Then bounce that advice here for a second opinion.
Good Luck and I will look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Smitty.
130TQ 124HP
TR Stage 2 Street Eliminator Pro-Touring Heads
TR-660-SM Cam
TTS Master Tuner
SE 10.5:1 forged pistons
4-5/8" stroke Se Pro Stroker Flywheel and rod Assembly, trued and welded by Revolution Performance
Cylinders 4.060 Bore
Timekin Bearing
SE 58mm TB
SE 5.3 grms/sec injectors
SE lifters,
SE rods
SE Clutch upgrade
V&H Power Dual headers with V&H Twin Slash Oval slipons.
Andrews 31T transmission sprocket
K&N air filter

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »

Any thoughts or ideas.

Kel

Plus consider this too along with Jerry's advice.  It appears you bought the bike used.  Not sure what your in-service date is, but I would guess that this upcoming riding season will be your last under the factory coverage unless there's an extended service contract that you have documentation on that  came with the bike in the deal?  Personally, I would probably ride the bike if you bought it used and make sure you don't have any DEMONS before you take any risks with your factory coverage?  The 1st 1,000 miles are the most important miles you can put on a bike.  Not to scare you, I sold my bike with 8,463 perfect miles on it and the buyer that's on this site has no worries.  I bought a used bike with 1,500 miles on it from a member on the site.  Cosmetically the bike was perfect and it came with some good mods, but I really won't know if the bike has any DEMONS until spring when I get some more miles piled up.  So far you got some very good advise, that's what the sites all about.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do, hopefully you won't be performing any exorcisms!

Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »

Fullsac best deal for the buck..
Bill

my-hdblues

• MN

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE
    • CVO3: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »

Thanks for the input

And yes it is a NEW bike, traded up from a 2011 fltru.

Kel

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »

Thanks for the input

And yes it is a NEW bike, traded up from a 2011 fltru.

Kel

My bad, I thought you bought it used?  You found a new 2011 still sitting on the showroom floor?  I assume you got yourself a heck of a deal?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.