Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: You only live once...right?  (Read 17285 times)

Lu

• NJ

You only live once...right?
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »

I must say, I’ve been going back and forth for months trying to justify getting the RGU CVO.  Yesterday I sat on red (my choice) RGU @ the NYC show and loved it!!!  My mind starting spinning on how to really justify it again.  I can get it, money is not the issue, and I would trade in my current 11 non-CVO RGU, but the thought of buying a bike that is close to the price of my Caddy just blows my mind. 

I always dreamed of owning a CVO and I’m curious if anyone else who owns one also said..”F.. it, you only live once"

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:07:08 PM by sweetlu »
C50 --> C90 --> FLHX --> GL1800/FXSTS --> FLTRU/DL650 --> FLTRXS --> ?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: You only live once...right?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »

I always dreamed of owning a CVO and I’m curious if anyone else who owns one also said..”F.. it, you only live once"

A bit of the wrong place to get constructive criticism is a room where you're preaching to the choir...  :huepfenlol2:

(we've probably almost all said just about the same thing at some time)

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »

How true, Oh how true!!
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:46:59 PM »

Buddhists may disagree but who cares?  Congratulations!    :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »

You nailed it sweetlu... Act while you can and are able. Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the CVO world.  :2vrolijk_21:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 01:15:27 PM »

Ah the old debate of buying by emotions not common sense...... :huepfenlol2:

We all fall under the advertising hype at one point in our lives and believe it when they say " you deserve it!" etc.
I think many of us buy a big ticket item with optimism and have many visions of all the good times we will have to help justify the expense. Only time will tell if those  hopes come to pass or are we just paying big bucks for something used only occasionally.
Dealerships, bike shows and advertising can try to sell us on the fact that you just can't be cool or function without the latest model, whether it's due to an extra couple C.C.s in the motor or the latest stereo or paint job. When in reality we can do just fine without the latest gadgets.
You also have many folks who say things like "I will always have a bike payment" so why not get new one. I think that is sad, you may afford that payment but at what true cost to you or your family? Will you ever be able to retire or work until you die? How about kids education or wedding expenses etc. I know it may be sacrilege but there is more to life then the latest vehicle....
All that being said, if you can truly afford it and want it then why not get what you want!
I think comparing costs is a sign of old age though....bike as expensive as a luxury car...when you get real old it's that vehicle cost as much as my first house!  :huepfenlol2:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »

you mean not everyone says that?

besides, have you priced new caddies lately?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »

like you said...YOLO... :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »

When I got my 2011 FLTRUSE Black & Gray, I said this will be my last new bike. Now, at 72 years old, and since I only live once, I'm saying my 2015 FLTRUSE Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset will be my last bike---that is my justification anyway. I'll just see how fast I put miles on it and how I feel as the years go by.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »

Shoot, my CVO cost three times what my first house cost, and the house was wood frame and wasn't on wheels either.

Lars

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »

When I got my 2011 FLTRUSE Black & Gray, I said this will be my last new bike. Now, at 72 years old, and since I only live once, I'm saying my 2015 FLTRUSE Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset will be my last bike---that is my justification anyway. I'll just see how fast I put miles on it and how I feel as the years go by.
72 yrs old and just bought a new bike, Awesome!
Alan

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »

Ever see a Brink's truck following a Hearse? DO IT!!!
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 Teal SEEG - Sold
    • CVO2: 08 Annie SERK - Sold
    • CVO3: 09 SEUC
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »

This is the best of all the Harleys I have so far. Go for it you will love it. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »

If you can afford it, and you want it, then why not get it.

For years I had neighbors ask me, you drive the cheapest Impala chevy makes, about 21K yet ride 30K bikes.  Car was a need, bike is a want and a passion.

I have zero regrets getting this bike
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 07:42:33 AM »

When I got my 2011 FLTRUSE Black & Gray, I said this will be my last new bike. Now, at 72 years old, and since I only live once, I'm saying my 2015 FLTRUSE Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset will be my last bike
I said the same thing with my 2013 purchase hogdooz, but mostly to my significant other as I started pouring money into mods... I don't plan to sell/trade, but one never knows...

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »

This is interesting. A year ago my wife started chemo therapy for one of the rarest types of breast cancer. We had taken the RG south to put in storage so we could fly down during our nasty winters to ride. So without a bike here for the following riding season she said go buy a new '14 CVO Ultra. She said to me " if I die I don't want some slut you meet spending all my hard earned money!" So we can plan for the future - but have to live for today. Oddly enough she had her best year ever financially as she worked through chemo / radiation................amazing woman!

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »

When I bought my 2013 Anniversary Road King it was by far the most expensive bike I had ever bought and I thought I was mad. But then I saw the CVO RK and had to have it even though it was significantly more again and I lost on the FLHR Anniv. You never know what is round the corner and you have to live for today.

Remember that there was probably someone on the Titanic who refused the sweet trolley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »

My old man used to say. "Son I earned it I deserve it and I'm going down to H-D to get it" I was with him for the purchase of 4 hogs including the now mine CUSE2
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »

Good looking bike

Reddog303

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »

took a 2014 standard road glide out FOR A TEST RIDE walked in after 2 hours my brother comes over says see the new CVO Road Glide over there ,crap I said hope its not blue it was and is now in the  garage goOD by my old 2007 hello 2015. WTF

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 07:54:27 AM »

took a 2014 standard road glide out FOR A TEST RIDE walked in after 2 hours my brother comes over says see the new CVO Road Glide over there ,crap I said hope its not blue it was and is now in the  garage goOD by my old 2007 hello 2015. WTF

Very cool.... Congratulations!  :2vrolijk_21:

finn

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:58 AM »

my favorite hd commercial, old man sitting on the porch with his grandson as a group of harleys pass by his house, old man says nothing like the roar of an engine and the wind blowing through your hair,boy says,i didn't know you had a harley,old man says Na i got aluminum siding instead

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »

my favorite hd commercial, old man sitting on the porch with his grandson as a group of harleys pass by his house, old man says nothing like the roar of an engine and the wind blowing through your hair,boy says,i didn't know you had a harley,old man says Na i got aluminum siding instead
I remember that commercial and all I can say is I won't be on the porch saying anything like "instead of a Harley I got _______"
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 12:14:56 PM »

I just did a quick search for the grandpa H-D commercial and all I can find is the second "politically corrected version" where grandpa says I spent the money on siding instead. I remember the first version where grandpa blamed grandma by saying no Harley because grandma decided to spend the money on siding instead. And the kid left the porch saying I wonder what grandma is up to?

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »

Buy once Buy right!!!

finn

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »

I just did a quick search for the grandpa H-D commercial and all I can find is the second "politically corrected version" where grandpa says I spent the money on siding instead. I remember the first version where grandpa blamed grandma by saying no Harley because grandma decided to spend the money on siding instead. And the kid left the porch saying I wonder what grandma is up to?
   did mine from memory i expect it to be skewed one way or another.

92fxsts

• Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »

you mean not everyone says that?

besides, have you priced new caddies lately?

So, my wife and I made our annual pilgrimage to York in September on our '09 CVO Ultra.  We went for the factory open house and took a demo ride on a '15 CVO Limited.  Then she informed me that she really likes this new '15 CVO Limited and we should upgrade!   Being a great hubby, I "never" argue with the wife, because everyone knows that a "happy wife makes a happy life."  We traded the '09 for a '15 and the rest is history.....

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:45 PM »

So, my wife and I made our annual pilgrimage to York in September on our '09 CVO Ultra.  We went for the factory open house and took a demo ride on a '15 CVO Limited.  Then she informed me that she really likes this new '15 CVO Limited and we should upgrade!   Being a great hubby, I "never" argue with the wife, because everyone knows that a "happy wife makes a happy life."  We traded the '09 for a '15 and the rest is history.....

congrats  :2vrolijk_21:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 02:44:30 PM »

I must say, I’ve been going back and forth for months trying to justify getting the RGU CVO.  Yesterday I sat on red (my choice) RGU @ the NYC show and loved it!!!  My mind starting spinning on how to really justify it again.  I can get it, money is not the issue, and I would trade in my current 11 non-CVO RGU, but the thought of buying a bike that is close to the price of my Caddy just blows my mind. 

Sweetlu read below.

Below are three emails I sent when I was in a quandary about if I should buy the Ivory and Gold Ultra in the local Dealers. I referred to the bike as "The Tart". Jim is a good friend and Paul is the salesman. Needless to say I ended up with the CVO Ultra Road Glide. Not regretted it and except for the height of the damn thing its the best Harley I have had.

Jim
If the good Lord made anything lovelier, except our respective wives of course, then I aint seen it yet.
What's think of this then Jim.
 No, No, I say do not tempt me, get thee behind me Satan.

Jim,
Just to update you on the filthy bitch who was trying to lure me to ride her to heaven.
I asked what the price was, are you sat down, £26,500
I asked how much they would want as well as my bike, are you sat down. £12,500.
She can go to hell, I will stick to what I have and learn to forget the pangs of lust.

Paul,
Thanks for the photographs
Bearing in mind I cannot afford and it's nothing short of a brazen Hussey for tempting me, I have already referred to it as being like a mermaid flashing her tits at the sailors to lure them on to the rocks.
Roughly speaking what would be the deal on the 2010 FLHTK with stage one, V&H Ovals and boot rack be. 6000 miles in blue and black.

John

The deal finished up way better than above and we lived happily ever after, well until the next time that is.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »

YOU HAVE COME TO THE WRONG PLACE!  There is no one on this forum that has spent a ridiculous amount of money on overpriced toys.  We are way too practical for that, we have good solid, basic transportation with no "frills".  That's what we told our wives anyway.  Stroke the check, don't look back.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »

Good for you sweetlu .....congrats on the new ride :)!

Proud of you hogdooz ........we have much in common!!!! Just turned 73 and also just traded my 2011 FLTRUSE in on a 2015 Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset :). Thought the 2011 would be my last as well ........we rode it 38k miles including 15k on our 2012 "Bucket List Road Trip" from Hawaii to Europe and back! Keep on keepin' on hogdooz .......when you can't hold it up anymore ......there's always the trike :D. I'll need to be patient for the 2015 ride though as mine won't deliver for two more months :(
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

CVO_in_RI

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 08:37:10 PM »

If I have to explain you would not understand, right:)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »

Hogdooz and Trigger-man

I sure hope I am like you riding and holding up an ultra road glide in my 70's!  You two are what living is all about.

hesadog

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 07:49:34 AM »

Nothing about owning a HD makes financial sense.  You do it because you love it, so don't try to justify it.  If you can afford it and that's your dream bike, get it!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »

Nothing about owning a HD makes financial sense. You do it because you love it, so don't try to justify it.  If you can afford it and that's your dream bike, get it!
My wife said that when I went out and bought my first new Harley, a 03 Fatboy, two months before we started building our dream log home.  Three years later, when I finished building the home, she said the Fatboy is the smarted thing you ever did.  I asked why do you say that, your were so pissed when I bought it?  Her reply was" you would have never finished the house, every time you got stuck, or frustrated you got on the bike and went for a 30 minute to hour ride, and came back with a better attitude to work more on the house.

I do believe there is a lot of truth in that.  It is my therapy and stress release. 

Reddog303

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »

When I bought the new RGU the only caveat was "wifes approval" so down to the dealer she gets on the back heated seats, yup ,adjustable boards yup, Abyss blue ,yup no pinching on the calves from the bag crash bar ,nope ok its a go... yes 35 years of constant training shes got me where she wants me lol :P :P :P

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »

When I bought the new RGU the only caveat was "wifes approval" so down to the dealer she gets on the back heated seats, yup ,adjustable boards yup, Abyss blue ,yup no pinching on the calves from the bag crash bar ,nope ok its a go... yes 35 years of constant training shes got me where she wants me lol :P :P :P

If the BSR ain't happy you ain't happy.  :huepfenlol2: 

:2vrolijk_21:

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »

In September of 2012 the wife and I went to the local Harley dealer to buy a 2013 Limited. I was making the deal with the salesman when the wife spoke up and asked me, " Are you going to add chrome stuff to this bike after you buy it?", I said, " Well there are a few things I'd like to change for chrome." and she said, " Then you might as well buy that one" pointing at the SEUC8 that they were just taking out of the shipping crate.  The rest is history and I never looked back.
My wife's a keeper!!!   :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Lars

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »

In September of 2012 the wife and I went to the local Harley dealer to buy a 2013 Limited. I was making the deal with the salesman when the wife spoke up and asked me, " Are you going to add chrome stuff to this bike after you buy it?", I said, " Well there are a few things I'd like to change for chrome." and she said, " Then you might as well buy that one" pointing at the SEUC8 that they were just taking out of the shipping crate.  The rest is history and I never looked back.
My wife's a keeper!!!   :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Does she have a sister?    ;D    :2vrolijk_21: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Darkstar

• NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHTSKE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO3: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 06:32:32 AM »

Once when I was trying to decide if I was going to ride mine for another year or move up, a friend of mine commented; "How many new bikes are you going to buy in your life..."? Being in my late fifties that simple statement hit home. If you can afford it, your worth it.

Enjoy your new ride, Congratulations 

FLCVORoadGlide

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 08:43:19 PM »

I agree this is my favorite long distance ride

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »

This thread hits pretty close to home.  Nearing 60, retirement eligable and retirement funds fully funded so looking at bike replacements.  Wife says whats wrong with the Ultra, she would rather have new furniture.  Guess she caught me in a bad mood as I responded I did not care about furniture.  Now i'm in the dog house. :(
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »

...........Wife says whats wrong with the Ultra.........
Tell her it's not a CVO Ron ...... :'(
...........she would rather have new furniture.  .........
...and that this new 2015 CVO Road Glide includes "new furniture" .........a larger and more comfortable "love seat" for her ......LOL ;D. That may (or may not) get you out of the doghouse :-X

Still waiting on my Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset to arrive Kauai. The West Coast Dockworkers slowdown may have delayed the shipment :(!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »

This thread hits pretty close to home.  Nearing 60, retirement eligable and retirement funds fully funded so looking at bike replacements.  Wife says whats wrong with the Ultra, she would rather have new furniture.  Guess she caught me in a bad mood as I responded I did not care about furniture.  Now i'm in the dog house. :(
Build a bigger doghouse so you can sleep with the new bike  :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »

I am haveing a hard time not thinking about the Carbon Dust Road Glide Ultra. but i dont really wanna let go of my 2010.5 Ultra #471. hahaha. but i start adding up what it would cost in getting the RG the way i want it,bars,exhaust, etc. it helps me look the other way hahaha. at least for now.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »

Guess I am very lucky, my wife doesn't say anything when I want a new bike.  I think that has a lot to do with, she loves riding her bikes.  She sure gives me heck about a new car or truck, but never a bike.

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2015, 08:15:37 AM »

Guess I am very lucky, my wife doesn't say anything when I want a new bike.  I think that has a lot to do with, she loves riding her bikes.  She sure gives me heck about a new car or truck, but never a bike.

Dave,

Same with my wife about bikes. Also she can't give me heck about cars/trucks since I don't have one. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 07:44:33 AM »

Dave,

Same with my wife about bikes. Also she can't give me heck about cars/trucks since I don't have one.

Well see never gave me heck about a car, till I got the 14 Stingray.  Even then all she said was it was a waist of money.  She still says that about it.  My 15 SERGU has more miles on it than the car, and I have had the car 9 months longer.

Saxton

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »

I have the same one your sitting on.
You only live once!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2015, 12:51:25 AM »

This thread has made fascinating reading for me.  But it seems to me that the overriding emotion from most of you is passion.
As many of you know, I lost my wife in '10 when we hit a deer with our Electra Glide.  Less than 3 months after that accident (and with me still in physical therapy), I bought my first CVO, a 2011 RGU.  I'd only managed to put 5,000 miles on it when I traded it this past June.  I just couldn't relate to that bike and I never connected with it the way I did with my old and now lost Electra Glide.  It was a real let-down to me.  I had high hopes for me and that bike, but they never materialized.
Fast forward to 2015.  I have a new wife now, who lost her previous husband to cancer.  He rode a Heritage and had to quit because of his illness.  She loves to ride, but knows I just can't get into my current bike.  We're at a dealer when I see the 2015 RGU pictured below. 
And then it hits me.  My old CVO was bought at the wrong time in my life for the wrong reasons.  I bought it to fill a hole in my soul that no material thing can do.  I bought it when I was still grieving terribly.  I was trying to force my healing to somehow happen faster from losing my wife of 22 years.  In short, I bought it for the wrong reasons and it became a reminder of all of the bad that happened almost 5 years earlier.  Others may think this is ridiculous talk, but to me, it was quite real.
My new wife Patty knows me well, and she sees all this and can relate to it, having lost her previous husband of 21 years. 
I'd told her the same thing I told my previous wife when we test drove this new bike.  Don't tell me you like the bike...tell me you want the bike.  If you can't say that and mean it, I'll walk away from the deal.  She looked at the bike after we got back from a test ride, then she looked at me and said, "I want it."  So she stands beside me and watches me work the deal for us and we're having an awesome time on this new scoot. 
Life is truly short and there really aren't any guarantees.  Money is not the end all be all...it's only a means to an end.  Follow your heart and if you can afford what your heart wants and it hurts no one else and benefits you and your loved one(s), by all means, spend the money.  And don't look back.
Now, Patty and I have found a newfound love in a sport we both love on a bike we both love and picked out together, and that's what made the difference for both of us.  We chose this bike under happier circumstances and at the right time for us. 
And that makes the money we spent on this new CVO a real bargain. 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2015, 01:24:32 AM »

This thread has made fascinating reading for me.  But it seems to me that the overriding emotion from most of you is passion.
As many of you know, I lost my wife in '10 when we hit a deer with our Electra Glide.  Less than 3 months after that accident (and with me still in physical therapy), I bought my first CVO, a 2011 RGU.  I'd only managed to put 5,000 miles on it when I traded it this past June.  I just couldn't relate to that bike and I never connected with it the way I did with my old and now lost Electra Glide.  It was a real let-down to me.  I had high hopes for me and that bike, but they never materialized.
Fast forward to 2015.  I have a new wife now, who lost her previous husband to cancer.  He rode a Heritage and had to quit because of his illness.  She loves to ride, but knows I just can't get into my current bike.  We're at a dealer when I see the 2015 RGU pictured below. 
And then it hits me.  My old CVO was bought at the wrong time in my life for the wrong reasons.  I bought it to fill a hole in my soul that no material thing can do.  I bought it when I was still grieving terribly.  I was trying to force my healing to somehow happen faster from losing my wife of 22 years.  In short, I bought it for the wrong reasons and it became a reminder of all of the bad that happened almost 5 years earlier.  Others may think this is ridiculous talk, but to me, it was quite real.
My new wife Patty knows me well, and she sees all this and can relate to it, having lost her previous husband of 21 years. 
I'd told her the same thing I told my previous wife when we test drove this new bike.  Don't tell me you like the bike...tell me you want the bike.  If you can't say that and mean it, I'll walk away from the deal.  She looked at the bike after we got back from a test ride, then she looked at me and said, "I want it."  So she stands beside me and watches me work the deal for us and we're having an awesome time on this new scoot. 
Life is truly short and there really aren't any guarantees.  Money is not the end all be all...it's only a means to an end.  Follow your heart and if you can afford what your heart wants and it hurts no one else and benefits you and your loved one(s), by all means, spend the money.  And don't look back.
Now, Patty and I have found a newfound love in a sport we both love on a bike we both love and picked out together, and that's what made the difference for both of us.  We chose this bike under happier circumstances and at the right time for us. 
And that makes the money we spent on this new CVO a real bargain.
I didn't know about your accident. I enjoyed reading this post. Congratulations on your new wife and scooter.

You are right, life IS short. Get out there and enjoy while you can.

Rubber side down.

Jesse

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2015, 09:33:46 AM »

RGlideKid,

Your note inspired me - thanks for sharing and wishing you many blissful years with you Patty.
BryantH

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

Thanks to Jesse and Bryant.  Life is short brothers, especially the best years of our lives. 
Enjoy loved ones and life, but especially the fantastic gifts God's allowed us to have like our CVO's.
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 12:06:14 PM »

Harry,  Sorry for your prior loss and congrats on your new found loves.  Guess I have a slightly different story of how I came about my new CVO RGU.  Had a 2011 Ultra Limited and after 4.5 years just became tired of it and had so many things I wanted to do to it.  Come 2014 and loved the Red CVO Limited's.  They had almost everything I wanted to do to my Ultra Limited but the time was not right for many reasons, work, finances, etc.  The 2015's come out and don't care for the Limited color schemes.  They are very nice but just not the Red I fell in love with.  Go forward a few months and find finances are in order, kid is out of school and working, retirement funds are fully funded and I'm 6 months from hanging up my hardhat.  Decided to look at the similar color red RGU's and although similar to earlier colors the red still appeals to me everytime I walk up to the bike.  Looked at finances and in relation to retirement funds its a relatively small piece and something I'd like to do more riding when I have more free time.  Priced most of the area dealers and found my favorite dealer gave me the best and acceptable price and had one arriving the next day so the deal was done. I'm in my early 60's and figured I would not be able to enjoy the riding many more years.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »

Harry,  Sorry for your prior loss and congrats on your new found loves.  Guess I have a slightly different story of how I came about my new CVO RGU.  Had a 2011 Ultra Limited and after 4.5 years just became tired of it and had so many things I wanted to do to it.  Come 2014 and loved the Red CVO Limited's.  They had almost everything I wanted to do to my Ultra Limited but the time was not right for many reasons, work, finances, etc.  The 2015's come out and don't care for the Limited color schemes.  They are very nice but just not the Red I fell in love with.  Go forward a few months and find finances are in order, kid is out of school and working, retirement funds are fully funded and I'm 6 months from hanging up my hardhat.  Decided to look at the similar color red RGU's and although similar to earlier colors the red still appeals to me everytime I walk up to the bike.  Looked at finances and in relation to retirement funds its a relatively small piece and something I'd like to do more riding when I have more free time.  Priced most of the area dealers and found my favorite dealer gave me the best and acceptable price and had one arriving the next day so the deal was done. I'm in my early 60's and figured I would not be able to enjoy the riding many more years.

Good letter, Ron!  I think we've given Sweetlu (remember him from Post #1 on this thread?   :o) all the backup he needs to know he made the right decision. 

Retirement is really sweet by the way, Ron, and it sounds like you've gotten most or all of your ducks in a row, so go for it.  The sooner the better, once you can afford it.  I don't think you'll ever regret it, or the new bike!  Time to start living life large, brother!
Harry

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »

These bikes are expensive, but most of us guys from what I can gather are getting up there in age and let's be honest... the saying "you can't take it with you" is the absolute truth. I love this country and I love what I have been able to see of our good neighbors to the north. There is no better way to see this land the Lord has blessed than by motorcycle and I want to see all of it before I check out. I'm not going to lose any sleep over the price of the bike, if that's what it takes to see the land in the way that I love then so be it and again I thank God that I am in a position to make this happen. I spent 11 years crossing the country on my Heritage, if this bike gives me as much service as that one in breaks down to what, about $5K and year if you count the add-ons and maintenance? Other people buy RV's or whatever, my choice is by motorcycle and I think we own the best bikes made. When it's time, I'll do it again.

Ride on.  :2vrolijk_21:
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »

Amen, Lance.  Well said.    :2vrolijk_21:
Harry

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 21 queries.