Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: You only live once...right?  (Read 17286 times)

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
Re: You only live once...right?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »

I am haveing a hard time not thinking about the Carbon Dust Road Glide Ultra. but i dont really wanna let go of my 2010.5 Ultra #471. hahaha. but i start adding up what it would cost in getting the RG the way i want it,bars,exhaust, etc. it helps me look the other way hahaha. at least for now.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »

This thread hits pretty close to home.  Nearing 60, retirement eligable and retirement funds fully funded so looking at bike replacements.  Wife says whats wrong with the Ultra, she would rather have new furniture.  Guess she caught me in a bad mood as I responded I did not care about furniture.  Now i'm in the dog house. :(

Guess I am very lucky, my wife doesn't say anything when I want a new bike.  I think that has a lot to do with, she loves riding her bikes.  She sure gives me heck about a new car or truck, but never a bike.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2015, 08:15:37 AM »

Guess I am very lucky, my wife doesn't say anything when I want a new bike.  I think that has a lot to do with, she loves riding her bikes.  She sure gives me heck about a new car or truck, but never a bike.

Dave,

Same with my wife about bikes. Also she can't give me heck about cars/trucks since I don't have one. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 07:44:33 AM »

Dave,

Same with my wife about bikes. Also she can't give me heck about cars/trucks since I don't have one.

Well see never gave me heck about a car, till I got the 14 Stingray.  Even then all she said was it was a waist of money.  She still says that about it.  My 15 SERGU has more miles on it than the car, and I have had the car 9 months longer.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Saxton

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »

I have the same one your sitting on.
You only live once!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2015, 12:51:25 AM »

This thread has made fascinating reading for me.  But it seems to me that the overriding emotion from most of you is passion.
As many of you know, I lost my wife in '10 when we hit a deer with our Electra Glide.  Less than 3 months after that accident (and with me still in physical therapy), I bought my first CVO, a 2011 RGU.  I'd only managed to put 5,000 miles on it when I traded it this past June.  I just couldn't relate to that bike and I never connected with it the way I did with my old and now lost Electra Glide.  It was a real let-down to me.  I had high hopes for me and that bike, but they never materialized.
Fast forward to 2015.  I have a new wife now, who lost her previous husband to cancer.  He rode a Heritage and had to quit because of his illness.  She loves to ride, but knows I just can't get into my current bike.  We're at a dealer when I see the 2015 RGU pictured below. 
And then it hits me.  My old CVO was bought at the wrong time in my life for the wrong reasons.  I bought it to fill a hole in my soul that no material thing can do.  I bought it when I was still grieving terribly.  I was trying to force my healing to somehow happen faster from losing my wife of 22 years.  In short, I bought it for the wrong reasons and it became a reminder of all of the bad that happened almost 5 years earlier.  Others may think this is ridiculous talk, but to me, it was quite real.
My new wife Patty knows me well, and she sees all this and can relate to it, having lost her previous husband of 21 years. 
I'd told her the same thing I told my previous wife when we test drove this new bike.  Don't tell me you like the bike...tell me you want the bike.  If you can't say that and mean it, I'll walk away from the deal.  She looked at the bike after we got back from a test ride, then she looked at me and said, "I want it."  So she stands beside me and watches me work the deal for us and we're having an awesome time on this new scoot. 
Life is truly short and there really aren't any guarantees.  Money is not the end all be all...it's only a means to an end.  Follow your heart and if you can afford what your heart wants and it hurts no one else and benefits you and your loved one(s), by all means, spend the money.  And don't look back.
Now, Patty and I have found a newfound love in a sport we both love on a bike we both love and picked out together, and that's what made the difference for both of us.  We chose this bike under happier circumstances and at the right time for us. 
And that makes the money we spent on this new CVO a real bargain. 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2015, 01:24:32 AM »

This thread has made fascinating reading for me.  But it seems to me that the overriding emotion from most of you is passion.
As many of you know, I lost my wife in '10 when we hit a deer with our Electra Glide.  Less than 3 months after that accident (and with me still in physical therapy), I bought my first CVO, a 2011 RGU.  I'd only managed to put 5,000 miles on it when I traded it this past June.  I just couldn't relate to that bike and I never connected with it the way I did with my old and now lost Electra Glide.  It was a real let-down to me.  I had high hopes for me and that bike, but they never materialized.
Fast forward to 2015.  I have a new wife now, who lost her previous husband to cancer.  He rode a Heritage and had to quit because of his illness.  She loves to ride, but knows I just can't get into my current bike.  We're at a dealer when I see the 2015 RGU pictured below. 
And then it hits me.  My old CVO was bought at the wrong time in my life for the wrong reasons.  I bought it to fill a hole in my soul that no material thing can do.  I bought it when I was still grieving terribly.  I was trying to force my healing to somehow happen faster from losing my wife of 22 years.  In short, I bought it for the wrong reasons and it became a reminder of all of the bad that happened almost 5 years earlier.  Others may think this is ridiculous talk, but to me, it was quite real.
My new wife Patty knows me well, and she sees all this and can relate to it, having lost her previous husband of 21 years. 
I'd told her the same thing I told my previous wife when we test drove this new bike.  Don't tell me you like the bike...tell me you want the bike.  If you can't say that and mean it, I'll walk away from the deal.  She looked at the bike after we got back from a test ride, then she looked at me and said, "I want it."  So she stands beside me and watches me work the deal for us and we're having an awesome time on this new scoot. 
Life is truly short and there really aren't any guarantees.  Money is not the end all be all...it's only a means to an end.  Follow your heart and if you can afford what your heart wants and it hurts no one else and benefits you and your loved one(s), by all means, spend the money.  And don't look back.
Now, Patty and I have found a newfound love in a sport we both love on a bike we both love and picked out together, and that's what made the difference for both of us.  We chose this bike under happier circumstances and at the right time for us. 
And that makes the money we spent on this new CVO a real bargain.
I didn't know about your accident. I enjoyed reading this post. Congratulations on your new wife and scooter.

You are right, life IS short. Get out there and enjoy while you can.

Rubber side down.

Jesse

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2015, 09:33:46 AM »

RGlideKid,

Your note inspired me - thanks for sharing and wishing you many blissful years with you Patty.
BryantH

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

Thanks to Jesse and Bryant.  Life is short brothers, especially the best years of our lives. 
Enjoy loved ones and life, but especially the fantastic gifts God's allowed us to have like our CVO's.
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 12:06:14 PM »

Harry,  Sorry for your prior loss and congrats on your new found loves.  Guess I have a slightly different story of how I came about my new CVO RGU.  Had a 2011 Ultra Limited and after 4.5 years just became tired of it and had so many things I wanted to do to it.  Come 2014 and loved the Red CVO Limited's.  They had almost everything I wanted to do to my Ultra Limited but the time was not right for many reasons, work, finances, etc.  The 2015's come out and don't care for the Limited color schemes.  They are very nice but just not the Red I fell in love with.  Go forward a few months and find finances are in order, kid is out of school and working, retirement funds are fully funded and I'm 6 months from hanging up my hardhat.  Decided to look at the similar color red RGU's and although similar to earlier colors the red still appeals to me everytime I walk up to the bike.  Looked at finances and in relation to retirement funds its a relatively small piece and something I'd like to do more riding when I have more free time.  Priced most of the area dealers and found my favorite dealer gave me the best and acceptable price and had one arriving the next day so the deal was done. I'm in my early 60's and figured I would not be able to enjoy the riding many more years.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »

Harry,  Sorry for your prior loss and congrats on your new found loves.  Guess I have a slightly different story of how I came about my new CVO RGU.  Had a 2011 Ultra Limited and after 4.5 years just became tired of it and had so many things I wanted to do to it.  Come 2014 and loved the Red CVO Limited's.  They had almost everything I wanted to do to my Ultra Limited but the time was not right for many reasons, work, finances, etc.  The 2015's come out and don't care for the Limited color schemes.  They are very nice but just not the Red I fell in love with.  Go forward a few months and find finances are in order, kid is out of school and working, retirement funds are fully funded and I'm 6 months from hanging up my hardhat.  Decided to look at the similar color red RGU's and although similar to earlier colors the red still appeals to me everytime I walk up to the bike.  Looked at finances and in relation to retirement funds its a relatively small piece and something I'd like to do more riding when I have more free time.  Priced most of the area dealers and found my favorite dealer gave me the best and acceptable price and had one arriving the next day so the deal was done. I'm in my early 60's and figured I would not be able to enjoy the riding many more years.

Good letter, Ron!  I think we've given Sweetlu (remember him from Post #1 on this thread?   :o) all the backup he needs to know he made the right decision. 

Retirement is really sweet by the way, Ron, and it sounds like you've gotten most or all of your ducks in a row, so go for it.  The sooner the better, once you can afford it.  I don't think you'll ever regret it, or the new bike!  Time to start living life large, brother!
Harry

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »

These bikes are expensive, but most of us guys from what I can gather are getting up there in age and let's be honest... the saying "you can't take it with you" is the absolute truth. I love this country and I love what I have been able to see of our good neighbors to the north. There is no better way to see this land the Lord has blessed than by motorcycle and I want to see all of it before I check out. I'm not going to lose any sleep over the price of the bike, if that's what it takes to see the land in the way that I love then so be it and again I thank God that I am in a position to make this happen. I spent 11 years crossing the country on my Heritage, if this bike gives me as much service as that one in breaks down to what, about $5K and year if you count the add-ons and maintenance? Other people buy RV's or whatever, my choice is by motorcycle and I think we own the best bikes made. When it's time, I'll do it again.

Ride on.  :2vrolijk_21:
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »

Amen, Lance.  Well said.    :2vrolijk_21:
Harry

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.