Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Shutgun Shock installation  (Read 21989 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Shutgun Shock installation
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »

This week I was ambitious enough to start, and more importantly finish, two projects that were bugging me for a few weeks. I installed the kuryakyn vertical license plate holder, removed the factory license plate holder from the rear light, and installed the shotgun shock that i purchased last month. Didn't get to ride the bike or take pictures since it was raining all day today. Not a surprise as it has rained almost every time i had the bike out or needed to ride the bike this summer! :(

Anyhow, the license plate project took about 30 minutes and was very easy to do. The shotgun shock, on the other hand, took 3 hours and was definitely a two man/ two jack job (one to jack up the bike, the second one to hold up the back wheel when the jacks are removed). It is easy in theory but, considering the location of the shocks, and the number of times we had to thread the bolts only to remove them agian and agian (did we remember to use red loctite? no? oh well, let's unscrew the whole thing, have a beer, and ..., you know the drill!). So thank you Charlie, my riding buddy. Couldn't have done it without you!!!

Anyhow, the bike looks fantastic, the parts from shotgun shock are real solid, JD is great and always one phone call away with advice, and I am done with my mods, FINALLY!!!

Oh, we also installed a set of led's front and back (fronts are the dynamic ringz with white driving lights and the turn signal in one). That took about 60 seconds.

As soon as I can get the bike out I will post pictures and report back on how it feels with the new shocks.

My only concern is the transmission oil change, which would require unbolting the front of the shock, which is not for the faint of heart, and swinging the shock down on the shoulder bolts on the swing arm, which then would require the second jack to hold the back wheel up. Has anyone gone through this process to let me know how dealers feel about this extra step?

Time for another beer... :drink:

Cam

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

Re: Shutgun Shock installation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »

Here are a few 'not so good' pictures of the bike pre-installation and 'slammed'.

Stock shocks:

'13 CVO Breakout by Cameron L., on Flickr

tumblr_mqb2k6B5Bt1sb8ot4o1_1280 by Cameron L., on Flickr

With shotgun shocks set to normal ride height (lower than stock - much better ride quality):

Slammed:

'13 CVO Breakout slammed by Cameron L., on Flickr

'13 CVO Breakout slammed by Cameron L., on Flickr

The ride is significantly better than stock even when I lower the bike all the way down. However, the pegs drag way too often when I lower it below the stock hight, especially the heel rests. Overall money well-spent.

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »

I was looking for a set of heel rests do you happen to have the part number?
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »

Tried to look it up for you but the HD site is down. Anyhow it's the heel rest levers and the pegs are the same as the shifter. I will look them up and provide the part numbers when the site is functional again.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »

Billet Style Rider Footpeg Heel Rest Levers-50227-01

They also have other options now for FXSBSE.

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »

you don't have issues with those heal rests hitting the road?  my foot pegs seem to always be grinding....imagine it would be horrible with the heal rests installed....
Jake

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »

The heel rests themselves are not as much of an issue as the main foot pegs since they are extended out an additional inch because of the levers for the heel rests. I have gotten very used to the pegs grinding whenever I am making a sharp turn and it does not startle me like it used to anymore. :)

I just lift my foot off when it happens, let the peg fold up, and then put my foot back on when I exit the turn. For me it's been worth it especially for long rides.

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »

Hi, what is the part number for Willie G Skull on top off rear fender in the picture below? Is this the Skull License Plate Mounting Hardware or something else? thanks
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3754/9629088601_7cd710f32c_b.jpg
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:16:43 AM by RedMoon »

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 05:53:48 PM »

It is! I cut about 3/8" off the bolt to shorten it a bit. It is the perfect size to hide the hole and doesn't stick out like the stock bolt for the pillion.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:01:48 AM »

[/quote] How do you like those Wards cooling fans?  Do they seem to work well?  Easy install?  You've done some very nice mods.  Like the willy g bolt too@
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 06:40:51 AM »

How do you like those Wards cooling fans?  Do they seem to work well?  Easy install?  You've done some very nice mods.  Like the willy g bolt too@

Thanks. The cooling fans were real easy to install. It took about about 10 minutes to put them on and wire them up. I also added the oil cooler, different thermostat for the oil which opens up at 185 degrees vs 225, and the bike has V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 with stage 1 and was dyno tuned. It runs much, much cooler. So I don't know how much any one of these mods contributed to the reduction of the overall engine heat. I have owned Porsches for almost 30 years and, as the only other air cooled engine I had experience with, I kinda expected this engine to need the fans and the oil cooler, especially in stop and go traffic.

One thing I am impressed with is the quality of the construction on these parts from independent suppliers. The cooling fans, as well as the shotgun shock are as solid as any part from HD, maybe even more so.

There are 4 other changes for me and the bike is done. A nice solo seat that covers the bolts, Metzler tires, chrome brake calipers, and finally, a functioning center break light/reflector combo. I am doing the last one myself and, if successful, will post the specifics, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »

Thanks. The cooling fans were real easy to install. It took about about 10 minutes to put them on and wire them up. I also added the oil cooler, different thermostat for the oil which opens up at 185 degrees vs 225, and the bike has V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 with stage 1 and was dyno tuned. It runs much, much cooler. So I don't know how much any one of these mods contributed to the reduction of the overall engine heat. I have owned Porsches for almost 30 years and, as the only other air cooled engine I had experience with, I kinda expected this engine to need the fans and the oil cooler, especially in stop and go traffic.

One thing I am impressed with is the quality of the construction on these parts from independent suppliers. The cooling fans, as well as the shotgun shock are as solid as any part from HD, maybe even more so.

There are 4 other changes for me and the bike is done. A nice solo seat that covers the bolts, Metzler tires, chrome brake calipers, and finally, a functioning center break light/reflector combo. I am doing the last one myself and, if successful, will post the specifics, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
Famous last words.  :huepfenlol2:

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »

I know, right?

Jamal

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 springer Blue
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »

Great job!? Thanks for all these Information  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »

I would be interested in your break light / reflector combo project, definitely need to do something like that on mine.  I also, was really looking at the heel rest too.  I like how the heel rest looks on your bike.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

lrdean

• NY

• CVO1: 2013 Black Diamond, Molten Silver, Crushed Slate Graphics
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »

I know you did alot of work but, I just noticed the skull bolt on the rear fender it's all about the details.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »

Thanks! Changing things around on the bike is at least half the fun. :)

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Shotgun Shock installation
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »

Thanks! Changing things around on the bike is at least half the fun. :)

Hey Cam, nice ride.

I know you wouldn't be riding slammed all the time but just wondering, have you noticed if your rear wheel guard rests on the chrome rear belt guard in the lowest position? Which is also on the bum stops at the same time.

Cheers, Dave.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 08:19:18 AM »

Hey Cam, nice ride.

I know you wouldn't be riding slammed all the time but just wondering, have you noticed if your rear wheel guard rests on the chrome rear belt guard in the lowest position? Which is also on the bum stops at the same time.

Cheers, Dave.
Dave,

Excellent point ! I just went to the garage and checked the clearance at the lowest setting. There is at least a 1 inch clearance between the wheel guard and the chrome cover. I think it will be less than that with me on it but that test will have to wait until we are out of this dang deep freeze and I can use the excuse and at least ride the bike around the neighborhood.

Cam

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 09:04:05 AM »

Famous last words.  :huepfenlol2:

Just curious as to what oil cooler you used and the brand of cooling fans.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 09:36:20 AM »

Just curious as to what oil cooler you used and the brand of cooling fans.

I opted for the HD premium oil cooler and WPW cooling fans.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »

Dave,

Excellent point ! I just went to the garage and checked the clearance at the lowest setting. There is at least a 1 inch clearance between the wheel guard and the chrome cover. I think it will be less than that with me on it but that test will have to wait until we are out of this dang deep freeze and I can use the excuse and at least ride the bike around the neighborhood.

Cam

Thanks Cam.
Mine clearly touches (rests on) the chrome belt guard toward the front end of the arch on the wheel guard. If I knew how to reduce the size of a photo off my phone I would post. I'll keep trying.
Dave

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 06:08:11 AM »

Thanks Cam.
Mine clearly touches (rests on) the chrome belt guard toward the front end of the arch on the wheel guard. If I knew how to reduce the size of a photo off my phone I would post. I'll keep trying.
Dave

Here we go Cam. Is yours anywhere near as close to this?
Dave

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »

Here we go Cam. Is yours anywhere near as close to this?
Dave

Ouch! No Dave, there is at least 1 to 1.5 inch of clearance on my bike. Do you also have Shotgun shocks on yours?

Cam

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 07:04:34 AM »

Ouch! No Dave, there is at least 1 to 1.5 inch of clearance on my bike. Do you also have Shotgun shocks on yours?

Cam

Yes Shotguns Cam. If its not too much trouble can you take a photo, showing the whole belt guard and wheel while slammed, so I can somehow calculate where the difference is? Thanks in advance.
Dave

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 07:25:13 AM »

Cam

Here's a better pic. I must have bought the sawn-off shotgun model!!

Being and inch or so higher does that mean your guard only just drops below your rim or level with it? Has anyone else fitted these shocks who can provide some feedback?

Dave

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »

Being and inch or so higher does that mean your guard only just drops below your rim or level with it? Has anyone else fitted these shocks who can provide some feedback?

Dave

Dave,

With my buddy's bike squeezed next to mine in the garage it's hard for me to get a clear view or take a picture for now. I will do so as soon as I am able to move one of the bikes out. I looked as closely as I could to see any scratches/marks on the chrome and saw none. I also ran my finger along the edge of the guard to see if I could feel any rough spots that would point out it had made contact with the guard. It was smooth.

Cam

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »

Dave
The belt guard is rubber mounted and has some play.  I would bet that when it was loosened to add that tag you have on there, it was tightened back a little higher.  Loosen all the bolts, pull the guard lower, and retighten them.  That should fix the issue.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »

Hi Cam, I have a few questions for you about that shock.

- How's the ride quality on the lousy roads around here.....Think something like White's Ferry Rd.

- Where did you mount the switches?

- What's the unit weigh?

Thanks.
The best you've had is the best you know.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »

Hi Cam, I have a few questions for you about that shock.

- How's the ride quality on the lousy roads around here.....Think something like White's Ferry Rd. This road in particular is the reason for my current back pain as I hit one of the imperfections before changing the shocks and wondered why the bike is called a softail! With shotgun shock, The ride is what it should have been from the factory. Amazing how much better the ride is.

- Where did you mount the switches? Mounted it right above the horn cover, which is the default mount option. You can ask for custom mount setup but this works just fine for me as I don't really mess with it much. I now only do the slammed look when a buddy asks to see it. Usually I set it to a little lower than the stock ride height.

- What's the unit weigh? I didn't pay much attention to the weight so I can't tell you for sure. But when swapping out the stock shocks, it felt like it was close to the same weight (it's a single piece) vs. the two shocks I replaced.

Thanks.

Answers above in blue. Hope this helps.

Cam

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »

Thanks Cam.  I've relocated my coil to where the horn was on my Night Train, so I doubt the preferred location would work.  I'll have to call Shotgun about that I suppose.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 04:23:52 AM »

Dave,

With my buddy's bike squeezed next to mine in the garage it's hard for me to get a clear view or take a picture for now. I will do so as soon as I am able to move one of the bikes out. I looked as closely as I could to see any scratches/marks on the chrome and saw none. I also ran my finger along the edge of the guard to see if I could feel any rough spots that would point out it had made contact with the guard. It was smooth.

Cam

Thanks Cam. A photo would be good when you can. I only rode it once slammed straight after I installed and I've now checked along the edge of the guard too and the paint is cracked unfortunately. Not too sure what I can do with that. Probably should get onto it sooner than later before it rusts and paint starts to peel.
Dave

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 04:28:44 AM »

The belt guard is rubber mounted and has some play.  I would bet that when it was loosened to add that tag you have on there, it was tightened back a little higher.  Loosen all the bolts, pull the guard lower, and retighten them.  That should fix the issue.

Thanks 24v, I tried what you suggested but its a no go. I could cut out and re-chrome the belt guard but then again it probably won't be that low much. If not ever.
Dave

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »

As promised. Me on my bike in slammed mode. Hope this helps.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »

My shock is ordered.  JD's sending a wiring extension to mount the switches in the console.

Took a spin Sunday and got the snot beaten out of me by the torn-up roads....Can't wait to install this sucker.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »

My shock is ordered.  JD's sending a wiring extension to mount the switches in the console.

Took a spin Sunday and got the snot beaten out of me by the torn-up roads....Can't wait to install this sucker.

That's the best thing about the shocks. I don't really care about the look that much anymore. The ride is so much better now. I've completely forgotten the fact that I'm riding a 'softail'. Now I try and avoid potholes to save the tires rather than my spine and kidneys!

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »

As promised. Me on my bike in slammed mode. Hope this helps.

Thanks Cam. Can't see exactly what your gap is but it looks like around half inch. Mine actually touches the belt guard when slammed. Won't be riding around slammed but more concerned if I've done something wrong when installing. Any ideas?
Cheers, Dave.

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »

It has to be your belt guard is misaligned.  There is no way to lower the bike further by accident.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »

It is around 1/2" with me sitting on it (I'm 200+ lbs - let's leave it at that!!!). It might mean that the shock you got compresses more than the one on my bike. If that's the case then perhaps putting spacers on the bolts might help solve the problem.

disclaimer: I am less mechanically inclined and knowledgeable than any one you have met in the past or might meet in the future (software guy here) so other folks need to chime in. But based on what I learned while installing the shock I would think spacers would be ok to put on the bolts, hence limiting how far the bike is slammed even in the lowest settings.

I would also call the vendor to see what they suggest.

Cam

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »

It has to be your belt guard is misaligned.  There is no way to lower the bike further by accident.
There is a way to see if the belt guard is the problem by looking at the swing arm. If it's the belt guard, the swing arm angle/location should look similar to the way it is on my bike.

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »

It is around 1/2" with me sitting on it (I'm 200+ lbs - let's leave it at that!!!). It might mean that the shock you got compresses more than the one on my bike. If that's the case then perhaps putting spacers on the bolts might help solve the problem.

disclaimer: I am less mechanically inclined and knowledgeable than any one you have met in the past or might meet in the future (software guy here) so other folks need to chime in. But based on what I learned while installing the shock I would think spacers would be ok to put on the bolts, hence limiting how far the bike is slammed even in the lowest settings.

I would also call the vendor to see what they suggest.

Cam
This is 100% impossible.  First, when the bike is lowered, the shock is extended, not compressed.  Second, there is a rubber bumper that sits between the frame and the swing arm that decides how low the bike goes.  If this was missing, the bike would be much lower.

disclaimer: I have only installed 4 shotgun shock setups at this point. ;)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »

This is 100% impossible.  First, when the bike is lowered, the shock is extended, not compressed.  Second, there is a rubber bumper that sits between the frame and the swing arm that decides how low the bike goes.  If this was missing, the bike would be much lower.

disclaimer: I have only installed 4 shotgun shock setups at this point. ;)

Well, I did put the disclaimer there!!  :-[

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »

If you look at his image vs the one you posted you can see that his belt guard is sitting higher than yours is in relation to the rear pulley.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 02:17:31 AM »

Thanks for your opinions and help guys.

Guard is not higher, its just the angle of the photo. The guard sits parallel around 1/4 inch higher than the belt height. So it cannot be lowered. Here are a few more photos to look at just in case you see something I haven't. And the bum stop is the bum stop so shimming or adding washers/spacers won't work either.

The only thing I can work out is if slammed is on the bum stop for mine, then yours Cam either doesn't have the travel mine does and your swing arm does not touch the stop, or, the bum stops are different sizes. No way, am I going crazy here???

JD said to adjust the belt guard height too. The belt guard on this bike is not adjustable. He also said all the shocks are the same for the Breakout.

This is ridiculous. I need medicine!!!

Dave.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »

Dave,

From the position of the swing arm on your bike it has 'swung' more than my bike at the pivot point it looks like. Of course it could be the angle/lens. Is there any other BO with this shock for comparison? Maybe I'm just lucky and other folks have the same problem you do.

Cam

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »

I have only heard of one other person with this issue, and it was handled by adjusting the guard.  I know you can get that much adjustment out of the guard, but it sounds like CVOSE Breakout has his mind made up, so I got nothing else.  Good luck.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 01:56:36 AM »

Thanks. I have tried the belt guard as you suggested 24v but it has no adjustment at all. Maybe mines different to yours, and the other guy you mentined. And maybe bum stops are different too.  :D

I thought about elongating the holes to lower it but the gap between the belt guard and the actual belt is only 1/4". Unfortunately its not enough to remedy the problem. As previously mentioned, I won't be riding slammed but was more concerned that the fitment on all breakouts should be the same.

Not broken, just bent!

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 06:47:16 AM »

Just take it off then.  Looks better without it anyways.  Show off that sweet chrome pulley.  :orange:

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 07:48:22 AM »

Dave,

I grabbed the two pictures and put them side by side (attached below). Two things I need to point out:

1. CVO BO looks better in its God intended black and silver!  :D ;D  (Sorry - couldn't resist)

2. The swing arm on your bike seems to swing more - admittedly this is not exactly apples and apples because of camera angle/lens type. But still, it's worth noting that the difference in the swing angle seems to be close to an inch.

Cam

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »

If you raise the bike up all the way and look up in there with a flashlight you should be able to see the rubber bump stop.  It is behind where the fender struts bolt to the frame.  Maybe his is missing, and the fender to guard contact is stopping it from going any lower?
If you truly cannot get the guard to move, and the bump stop is in place, I guess you could space the bump stop out a little to keep the bike higher when lowered all the way down?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:13:34 AM by 24v »

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »

OK, here I go again (please remember the disclaimer about me being a software geek): If the bump stop is there already, couldn't Dave add some spacers to it and make it bumpier? (I know - what is it with me and spacers?)

Just thinking outside the box here because as someone who suffers from a severe case of OCD, if this was happening on my bike I couldn't just leave it alone and I suspect Dave might be a fellow sufferer.

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »

Yeah, he could add spacers/washers I think, if the studs are long enough.  Probably not a whole bunch, but maybe 1/8" or something.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

Thanks guys. When I first noticed the problem I checked to make sure the bum stop was there. Spacers are probably a good, and probably the only option. And you're right, I am a fellow sufferer. Haven't had a look how the bum stop comes off but assuming I don't have to drop the wheel and only have to remove battery etc. to get to bolts. I can see me needing more medicine soon. :drink:

Cheers guys.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2014, 02:29:13 AM »

The bump stop is #10 on this diagram.
http://www.cyclecityltd.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Harley-Davidson%C2%AE/FXSBSE_TD_CUSTOM_VEHICLE_OPS_SOFTAIL_BREAKOUT_%282013%29/FORK%2c_REAR_%26_SHOCK_ABSORBERS/99458-13A\TD/99458-13A\FORK|~REAR\TD

Thanks 24v, couldnt open link earlier but did just now. Shouldn't be too much trouble spacing it. Famous last words though hey?
Dave

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »

My Shotgun showed up today.  A few questions for those who have installed them...

- Does the rear tire need to come off?  My bike is an '05, so I've got to tap the existing holes in the transmission.  Looks like I can get to it with the tire on, but...

- I'll be doing this on a table lift with a jack under the frame.  I'm guessing I'll need a way to block the rear wheel up, or will I be able to compensate by raising/lowering the jack?

- I'll be drilling the console for the switches.  Anyone gone that route?

I installed the Progressives 5 or 6 years ago, and I don't remember it being that bad of a job.  I can't imagine this is much worse (other than running the compressor line and the power.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 06:59:17 AM »

My Shotgun showed up today.  A few questions for those who have installed them...

- Does the rear tire need to come off?  No

My bike is an '05, so I've got to tap the existing holes in the transmission.  Looks like I can get to it with the tire on, but...

- I'll be doing this on a table lift with a jack under the frame.  I'm guessing I'll need a way to block the rear wheel up, or will I be able to compensate by raising/lowering the jack? I used two jacks. One under the frame for the whole bike and one under the rear wheel to raise and lower it as needed.

- I'll be drilling the console for the switches.  Anyone gone that route? I did not.

I installed the Progressives 5 or 6 years ago, and I don't remember it being that bad of a job.  I can't imagine this is much worse (other than running the compressor line and the power. The part about the lines and the power was the easy part for me.

Good luck!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »

Thanks Cam.

Started on it today and discovered that the bushings/grommets that the Progressives use are different from the stock ones.  And of course, no local dealer has them in stock, so I'll be waiting a week to finish things up.

I'd forgotten what a pain in the ass is is removing the splash guard with the rear tire on.  Shocks came off reasonably easily with a squirt or two of PB Blaster and a 4' breaker bar.  Had to run to the hardware store to get a bigger T-handle to tap the holes in the transmission, but that went relatively smoothly.  I had to move a bundle of wiring to get the compressor where it needed to be, and it's smack up against the oil drain line now, but I think that'll be ok.  I may yank it off and spray it black if I'm feeling zesty this week, but I don't think it looks bad as is.

Tomorrow I'll run the wiring and make all the connections, then bolt up the back side of the shock.  I'll have to figure out where to mount the relay, as I've got no room left under the seat.

All in all, not nearly as bad of a job as I'd thought, though it would have helped having the correct parts and tools.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »

That's a real cool bike! It would be great if you can take/share pictures when done!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 03:27:27 PM »

That's a real cool bike! It would be great if you can take/share pictures when done!
Thank you!

I got it all finished up today except for the missing bushings & grommets.  It was a stone-cold bastard getting the right rear shock bolt back in.  I'm assuming it'd be easier with the wider rear of the '06+ bikes.  The wiring's all done up, just need to re-tie some stuff on the lower right frame rail I had to relocate for the compressor.  I'm not crazy about the bends in the compressor line when the shock's in place, but no one seems to have an issue with it so I assume it'll be ok.  Gotta say it was a happy coincidence I had the Lowcat's muffler off for an unrelated job.  That gave me a ton more room (though the damn toolbox was in my way).

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »

Finally got some seat time with the Shotgun.......What a huge difference it makes!  I've got to play with it a bit more to get the damping just right, but from a comfort standpoint it's amazing.  No fooling, between the inverted forks and the Shotgun Shock, it rides better than my Ultra with Monotubes and JRIs.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »

I feel the same way about the ride on my CVOBO even compared to my buddy's 2013 SERK (stock). My bike rides and handles much better.

BTW, great pics of your bike. Thanks for sharing.

Cam

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 08:06:31 PM »

Thanks Cam.  I really appreciate your feedback on the shock.  Never would have gone for it if not for your posts.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 24 queries.