Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 200mm on a FLHXSE3?  (Read 1608 times)

FLHXSE3

• "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFI
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHX
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSE3
200mm on a FLHXSE3?
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »

Would a 200mm tire fit on a FLHXSE3 stock rim?  It looks like there is plenty of clearance between the swing arm.  I just don't know if a guy would have to buy a different rim.  Thanks for the input.

FLHXSE3

• "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFI
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHX
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSE3
200mm tire on a FLHXSE3 stock rim
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:43:36 AM »

Would a 200mm tire fit on a FLHXSE3 stock rim?  It looks like there is plenty of clearance between the swing arm.  I just don't know if a guy would have to buy a different rim.  Thanks for the input.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 200mm tire on a FLHXSE3 stock rim
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:29 AM »

NO!  The stock rim is only 5.00" wide, and even most 180 tires other than the specially designed Harley branded Dunlop call for a wider rim than that.  A 200 tire would require at least a 6.00" rim width, and some require more than that.  Look at the actual specs of the tires on the various companies websites, most will indicate the minimum and recommended rim widths compatible with the tire in question.  Also make sure the load ratings are equal to or higher than the original.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

Re: 200mm on a FLHXSE3?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:42 AM »

It will definately fit.
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »

Check your tire to belt clearance also.  But it I don't think it will fit with tire manufactures spec as GRC stated but I have seen people put tires on the wrong size wheel and still got them to hold air.  I would worry about hitting some thing and the tire coming unseated from its bead.  You would be bending the side wall a 1/2 in in on each side more than is recommended by the manufacture.  Just my 2 cents. 

Todd. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:55:41 AM »

It will definately fit.

RCamp, you seem confidant in your answer...is it because you've had success at doing it yourself or because you know someone who has done it? I'm curious to hear your experience with this.

Thanks,
Doc
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:36:25 AM »

i bought a used set of agitators last year that came with a 200mm on the back.  it fit fine, and i ran it for a while that way.  never had any problems.  then when i bought the cvo, i took the agitators and put them on the wife's bike.  still with the 200 on the back.  she rode it for a year, (which was only about 3000 miles this year) but it always nagged at me being not recommended for that wheel.  my local dealer was having a $1.00 install deal recently so i went ahead and had it switched out. 

so yes, it will fit.  got 2 years and about 7000 miles on it, but there is something to be said for peace of mind.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:40 AM »

RCamp, you seem confidant in your answer...is it because you've had success at doing it yourself or because you know someone who has done it? I'm curious to hear your experience with this.

Thanks,
Doc

He has claimed in previous posts that he and a couple of his buddies mounted 200's on their SESG's, and obviously he hasn't crashed and died yet so he thinks it's OK to tell other people to ignore the warnings of the folks who actually design and make tires or motorcycles. 

Yes a 200mm wide tire will fit within the confines of the chassis.  No it will not fit the standard 5.00" rim correctly.  Kind of like a penny will physically fit in an old style fuse box, but it's not exactly a brilliant idea to do it.

I've stated the official case, which will be backed up by any true tire or chassis engineer you may wish to consult.  It's your neck, not mine, so do as you please.  Don't bother suing the bike or tire manufacturer if you do this and chit happens, btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »

Doc;
 Myself and several friends run them on Agitators. I have them on my SESG and Roadglide. We have had no problems. A lot of people won't post or have quit posting. Due to the know it alls on this and every other site on the net. You asked will they fit and has anyone had a problem. Not for the techno bs that every manufacture and supplier states to cover thier butts. And they should. To answer original question Yes they will. Half the guys on here customize their bikes in one way or another. Are all mods sanctioned by Harley no. ( Air Ride, neck rake, bigger wheels and tires, motor upgrades, etc..) But we research and waste money just to find out for ourselfs. Same as our race cars and 4X4's. I am no expert at anything. You asked for experience with them and there you have it.
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 23 queries.