Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bent Rod  (Read 1174 times)

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Bent Rod
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:59:52 PM »

Well I talked to the service manager today & they have pulled the top end off of my Jester to repair my minor head gasket leak, & they found that my rear cylinder not only had a small leak, it had a bent rod. I told them from day 1 that it never really seemed to have the power that I was hoping for but everything else seemed to run ok. They even rode it when I first got it & thought the same , runs ok just not what they expected from a 110. They are trying to get a whole new head for it since they cant visually see anything else wrong, cylinder walls very clean no scores.
I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:27:47 PM by gasrat »
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Bent Rod
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 12:13:16 AM »

Do you mean a bent valve? They must have disassembled the head to find it? That's good they found it but I wonder why they looked that direction for a gasket leak?

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 01:30:22 AM »

I  believe when he said rod he meant push rod. I just assumed that  because it would be pretty obvious to see that when tearing the top end apart. But now your making me second guess, because why else would they want a new head ?
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 01:33:49 AM »

There have been reports of "porosity", maybe that was the leak? If so replacing the head would make sense. If it is a push rod then the cam chest should be opened up to see what's going on in there, maybe a bad lifter caused the bent push rod?

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 12:21:06 PM »

Very good point. I think what I'll do is go down there Monday and see what they have open & what they can actually see. Maybe talk to the tech thats really doing the work.

CVOHarley Member #2390

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »

Very good point. I think what I'll do is go down there Monday and see what they have open & what they can actually see. Maybe talk to the tech thats really doing the work.
Good idea, stay in the loop. Find out what the problem is, and what they are doing to your scooter. I think when the Tech knows you are concerned/interested in your bike then they will be more responsible/careful when doing work on it. If they think you don't care about your bike I sometimes think they get the feeling why should they. [smiley=confused5.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 01:56:04 PM »

I agree with you dood. It's like anything, the more you show you care the more careful they tend to be, for whatever reason. Hopefully everything will work out for the best & it will get fixed right the first time in.

CVOHarley Member #2390

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 08:25:55 PM »

Well, after going down & personally looking, there is no more confusion on what is going on. It has an ever so slightly bent exhaust valve. there are no marks whatsoever on the piston or the valve so how it got bent we have no idea. They have ordered a complete head for it & are hoping that it's in and done by this weekend. They caught the valve by doing a compression test before starting anything else.

CVOHarley Member #2390

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 25 queries.