Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: H4 LED Bulbs  (Read 2218 times)

J.D.

H4 LED Bulbs
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »

Not up on the technology but seems there are alot of H4 LED bulbs available.  Is anyone using a H4 LED bulb in the standard single-bulb headlight housings with the clear glass and "ribbed" chromed shell?  Not willing to spend the money for a complete "Daymaker" style retrofit but dropping in a LED bulb that throws better light is appealing.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: H4 LED Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »

Watch this YouTube video and check out several of the others from headlight Revolution they are a wealth of information

The main thing you want to stay away from is an LED replacement bulb with a single Square chip on each side. They give terrible light patterns. Keep in mind you'll pay upwards of $100 or more for a decent LED bulb that will throw out a good pattern that replicates a halogen bulb but has much better brightness. Buy once cry once don't go cheap. Boggles my mind when people pay $40,000 for a motorcycle to put a cheap a$$ bulb in it and call it a day lol
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:49:19 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »

Very informative, thanks for posting that video.

Looks like anything better than a PIAA bulb from a total light/lumens output is going to run over $100/pair.  I'm not convinced that I can install one of these and not have some sort of performance (light pattern, cooling) issue.  Not yet worth the gamble.

I'd imagine the LED technology will continue to improve and the cost will decline, no different than computers, cameras, tvs...

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 02:37:37 AM »

Honestly, if you can set aside some more money over time, the JW Speaker LED headlights are top notch. OEM supplier for HD without the markup. Plus the adaptive models are awesome
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 02:40:53 AM by CHH_Badkarma »

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »

Yep probably the better option over a LED bulb all things considered.

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »

What about something like this for under $40?  Seems to get good reviews:

5-3/4 5.75 Inch Projector LED Headlight for Harley Davidson Motorcycles Headlamp 45W Chrome
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ETNZD6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Nur0Bb8K2GW8M

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »

I'm sure it will work for a while. I know folks like to find the best deal on headlights and I think I have seen that name pup up before.

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:07:22 PM »

Looks like the outside lens is plastic and not glass, which concerns me a bit, but then again my windshield and turn signal lenses are plastic and they seem fine.

User photos would suggest these are quite bright.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:49:18 PM »

Plastic or polycarbonate lenses are the standard these days with LED headlight like that.
Even the Harley daymaker that is made by JW speaker has a polycarbonate lens

J.D.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »

This thing looks like a spiders head with a bunch of eyes LOL.

Will likely give it a try as both the lighting improvement and less amp draw are both probably worth the price of admission.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 02:49:03 AM »

Check back and let us know how things turn out :2vrolijk_21:

J.D.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 08:22:07 AM »

Honestly I'm still on the fence.  Might wait another year to see where the technology goes.

And I've recently upgraded my stock "ribbed" glass housing and bulb to the more recent reflector style housing and PIAA bulb.  I'm actually pretty happy with this setup and I'm only in for about $50.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »

QUESTION:

2009 Street Glide: The headlight seems to be fogging up on the inside and the bulb is not as bright. I would assume the inside of the lense housing can be cleaned and a LED or PIAA bulb installed to attain better than new brightness.

Any thoughts or does someone have a stock takeoff headlight at a not to be believed price they

want to sell?

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »

When the glass on my "reflector" housing fogged, I was able to clean it.  What I did was cut a square off of an old t-shirt, dampen it with rubbing alcohol, stuffed it into the housing through the bulb socket, then shook it around.  I then used a popsicle stick to rub the cloth on the stubborn spots.  Fished out the cloth and blew it dry with filtered compressed air.  Looks perfect now and has stayed clear through regular use.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »

When the glass on my "reflector" housing fogged, I was able to clean it.  What I did was cut a square off of an old t-shirt, dampen it with rubbing alcohol, stuffed it into the housing through the bulb socket, then shook it around.  I then used a popsicle stick to rub the cloth on the stubborn spots.  Fished out the cloth and blew it dry with filtered compressed air.  Looks perfect now and has stayed clear through regular use.

Thanks a lot for sharing your fix.

Ride safe.

Best regards

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.