Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pairing a fob to the alarm system  (Read 9969 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Pairing a fob to the alarm system
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 12:58:24 AM »

Found this info pretty good.  Maybe it will help.

KEY FOB ASSIGNMENT

Thanks Cash.  That's all 100% accurate for mating a fob to the bike.  That is step 2, however, on a bike that's just had the security system installed when it didn't have such to begin with.

Assuming what I'm told most recently is accurate (and I've not been able to verify it in an electrical and diagnostics manual) Delphi bikes must have the TSSM married to the ECM before you can do mate the fob to the system; but Marelli bikes do not.  Unfortunately on my Marelli bike the fob still won't mate.  Hope to have a little time tomorrow to check it over again with fresh eyes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 03:35:50 AM »

This looks to finally be sorted out.  Got a look at it again just after midnight and it seems to be working as it's supposed to now.  For any of the SERG riders that might consider adding the alarm system should yours not work the problem here was at the connector that originally went to the TSM in front of the battery.

I could have screwed it up.  Well within my capability.  So double checked all the additions again for the third time.  All ok.  Dealer said the new TSSM did not need to be married to the ECM on a Marelli bike.  So, apparently, that wasn't it either.  Since the bike started and all the lights worked ok I doubted it was a bad new TSSM.  Looked deeper.

According to a diagram on the face of the original TSM itself it has one ground leg with all the other used positions carrying the various light signals.  The wiring diagram in the Clymer manual shows it the same way.  In the connector originally plugged on the TSM the ground leg was in an ostensibly unused position.  Moved it to where it was shown to be according the TSM's marking and the Clymer wiring diagram.  After that it all worked fine.

Apparently the otherwise unused pin location on the TSM is just another ground location within the module?  Just guessing because it worked that way for the better part of nine years.  And there's only the one ground leg. 

The new alarm harness, however, plugs in looking for that ground in the location shown in the wiring diagram.  Somehow the difference allowed light functions to work but not alarm functions.

Important thing is it's working now.  Seemingly without issue.  Took an hour and a half to find it and change it.  Still have to strap a couple of harness points back down tomorrow evening.  But at least the troubling part is done.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 09:27:50 AM »

Congrats Don.  Electrical issues are some of the hardest ones to figure out.  Persistence and resolve are the only options you've got when dealing with a stubborn electrical issue. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »

Congrats Don.  Electrical issues are some of the hardest ones to figure out.  Persistence and resolve are the only options you've got when dealing with a stubborn electrical issue. 

:devil:

Whether this was just a one-off assembly mistake on the old bikes or a regular error if any of the several other 2000 Road Glide owners add the alarm system they'll at least have a place to start looking now if it doesn't work right.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 10:09:11 AM »

Glad it all worked out...I was a little vexxed at the whole FOB thing but then again, for our Tahoe, I had to go to the dealer for a new remote that they paired up...

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 10:10:54 AM »

Glad it all worked out...I was a little vexxed at the whole FOB thing but then again, for our Tahoe, I had to go to the dealer for a new remote that they paired up...

Have a notion yet of which you prefer for the bikes?  The system you arm yourself or the system that requires you to have the fob on person all the time?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 10:14:30 AM »

Have a notion yet of which you prefer for the bikes?  The system you arm yourself or the system that requires you to have the fob on person all the time?

I prefer to self alarm...the auto thing gets old IMHO...move bike in garage ...oops, forgot FOB and the bike lets you know...battery dies...ow hell what is that code and how the hell do you disarm on-off-on left blinker x times right blinker y times...oh wait it was right first...can't wait till I have to go through that annoying exercise.

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »

I prefer to self alarm...the auto thing gets old IMHO...move bike in garage ...oops, forgot FOB and the bike lets you know...battery dies...ow hell what is that code and how the hell do you disarm on-off-on left blinker x times right blinker y times...oh wait it was right first...can't wait till I have to go through that annoying exercise.

From the outside looking in that was my perception also.  Plus I'd sure as hell ride off with the keys hanging in the garage one day (or several different days) then not be able to get home.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.