Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Russell Day Long Seat  (Read 3512 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Russell Day Long Seat
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:05:23 PM »

Simon said "just do it"----so I did.  I wanted to do the drive in build there, so my buddy and I drove out from Minnesota by way of Glacier NP and the Oregon coast.  I wanted to be sure any problems with the fit were taken care of while I was there.  Seat builder, Magic Mike, did a perfect job and got it right the first time.  I bought a ripped seat on Ebay for $80 and sent it to them a month early.  So they had it all taken apart and ready to go to work.  I showed up at 8 to show them what I liked about my Mustang seat and Air Hawk for height and setback. They took a couple of measurements and Mike said "OK, see you back at 9:15 for the fitting". I took the uncovered seat for a ride to test it out. It felt different, but good, so they covered it with vinyl sides and leather top.  Since we had 2000 miles back to MN, we wanted to see if we could get to Reno yet that evening.  They went out of their way to get us out of there by 2:30.  During the 200 miles to Reno, it was comfortable. The left side was perfect and the right side had a small hot spot.  The next day we did 800 miles, all interstate, past Salt Lake to Rawlins.  I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it.  I never got sore once and didn't even think of using my AirHawk.  They were right, I  could go gas stop to gas stop without shifting around on the seat.  It is un-explainable. My only regret is not doing it 50,000 miles ago.  I also bought the rain cover.  The next day was 600 miles and I smiled all the way.  Best $1000 I have ever spent.  My wife still shakes her head in wonderment, spending that kind of money on a seat. It's actually not as wide as my Mustang was.  Anyone want to buy an Air Hawk?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Russell Day Long Seat
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:32:35 AM »

That is a bunch of cash but if it works who cares...
Bill

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »

Thank you for the review. Wife and I have been back and forth for 2 years now trying to decide if we should invest that much in a sest. That sure helps the decision
Most great stores start with a bad decision

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:34:54 PM »

I’ve used my RDL on three bikes. Well worth the investment!
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »

Can you post a side picture of the entire bike so I can see what it looks like please

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 08:54:58 PM »

Here are some more pics. Sorry for the delay----we had the grandkids for a week. Their gone and we are worn out, but with big smiles and great memories.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »

pic 2

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »

pic 3

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 08:56:52 PM »

pic 4

blown alcohol

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »

I think that seat looks good.
What options did you go with?
From the looks of the passenger seat, you only had the drivers seat worked on.
Are you glad you went with vinyl/leather? I'm thinking of just going all vinyl if that holds up better over time.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 06:17:34 PM »

Thanks, I like it too.  It came out better than I had pictured in my mind.  I put leather on the seat and vinyl on the sides.  It rides nice. Don't know that it made a big difference, but I was spending that kind of money and I figured, why not.  It is softer and more comfortable.  I also got the rain cover which I like.  You have to protect the leather from rain, which I never did with the Mustang vinyl.  And I seem to ride in the rain quite a lot on trips.  But the cover goes on fast and easy and it's fine to ride with.  I also use it a night to keep the dew off it when I don't put my travel cover on.
I had them cut the passenger foam to level and flat. As the stock Ultra seat had a raised portion where the back rest inserted.  I didn't like the looks of that.  But they didn't put new foam on it.  They could of, but it would have taken part of the next day and we didn't have time---had to get home.  And I don't ride 2-up all that often.  So I didn't have them "fit" the passenger seat, hence no pocket or wings.

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:23 AM »

Great looking seat! Did you have to do anything to passenger's backrest or did  the new  stitching and leather/vinyl  color on the re-covered seat match?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 06:54:23 PM »

Can't not agree with the comments about a grand being a lot of money for a bike part.  Butt.......

If I'm willingly spending what seems like high prices on anything that's considered accessory it's the saddle.  Unless you just don't ride much the saddle is what makes or breaks your day.  If the saddle isn't great for your butt, back and shoulders all the "looks" stuff doesn't matter since you'll never ride the bike very far anyway.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »

ReplyQuote
Great looking seat! Did you have to do anything to passenger's backrest or did  the new  stitching and leather/vinyl  color on the re-covered seat match?

Thanks for asking.  I didn't feel the need to have the backrest re-done.  It's the original HD vinyl and is a close enough match. I can't really tell the difference. So, I didn't want to spend the money on something that didn't matter to me.

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 24 queries.