Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel guage not working 05 FLSTFSE....any suggestions?  (Read 2973 times)

fatboysailman

Fuel guage not working 05 FLSTFSE....any suggestions?
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »

New to the site...Just bought a used 05 Fatboy SE (the blue one) with 5K miles and Lovin' it! Had an 03 SE Deuce before so needed something to top that bike. Only glitch is fuel gauge stays pegged on full so have to keep up with mileage for fill up. I noticed the needle does go back down when I shut the bike off so my guess is the gauge is OK but maybe the float switch / sending unit is bad. Anyone know of the fix for this? I hate to let the stealer tinker with it!
Thanks

:nixweiss:

3dee

Re: Fuel guage not working 05 FLSTFSE....any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 06:19:39 AM »

I had this problem follow the line to where it plugs in sometimes the pins back out of the connector.

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 07:58:27 PM »

Unless you are handy enough to fix the fuel gauge yourself, I would just use the odometer. I have had my 2005 SE Fat Boy for about 3-1/2 years and couldn't tell you if my fuel gauge was accurate or not. I always go by the odometer, on motorcycles.
Tom

fatboysailman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »

Thanks to both of you for the post. 3dee...are you refering to the connector on the end of the fuel guage wire? Located under the console? Shop manual shows it on top of the top plate. Is that right?
tmitchellofpg....good comment...but darn! I used to do that on a sporty.... but a CVO bike??? I expect more for those big bucks!! If the connector fix does not get it, I will have to stick with your method which I am doing now....130 -150 miles and I better be looking for fuel....
Any thoughts on if the float might just be stuck in the full position??? Guess that would mean pulling the top plate.
Will try the connector first and post the results.
Thansk.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:40:56 AM »

Any thoughts on if the float might just be stuck in the full position??? Guess that would mean pulling the top plate.
Thansk.

That would be my guess.
Go through the process of elimination you are sure to find it.  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 25 queries.