Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Size matters...let's get some real motors in an HD...  (Read 7888 times)

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Size matters...let's get some real motors in an HD...
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:52:43 PM »

Let me see now, Kaw has a 125 cu. in. Suzuki has a 109, Honda a 108...lets see a 131 cu. in. base line up to a 170 cu. in. TPI motor, Harley can do it. I saw an article on a guy who cut off two cylinders from a WWII British Bomber, ...5.7 litre, 350 Cu. In. that's what I am talkin about...BIG INCHES to eat that JAP CRAP...PERIOD. If it ain't big...leave it on the porch.... :orange:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Size matters...let's get some real motors in an HD...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 10:11:33 PM »

Rumors have HD planning the following engine displacements for the next few years:

2000 cc = 122 cu in

2200 cc = 134 cu in

2400 cc = 146 cu in

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 10:42:29 PM »

You don't need big inches to make power.

My little 1300cc makes 253 RWHP!

It made 172 RWHP stock.....

Big cubes add a fair share of vibration, cooling issues, size constraints. But it sure helps for bench top bragging rights. :D
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:09:15 PM »

1300cc...253 RWHP...ahhh yeah...uh uh... my bone stock 88TC makes 3000 hp...DUFUS.....Inches Baby...200 cu.in. blown and on the bottle dude....600 RWHP...take yur rice burnin' POS....to the junk yard.... Luv 'Ya Baby....TEXAS Callin' MF....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:28 PM »

Rumors have HD planning the following engine displacements for the next few years:

2000 cc = 122 cu in

2200 cc = 134 cu in

2400 cc = 146 cu in

Considering all the issues H-D has had with 103 in3 and 110 in3 engines, especially in the area of controlling heat, I think they would be better served by improving the efficiency of the current sizes and leave the monster cubes to the aftermarket.  At least until they convert to water cooling. ::)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »

1300cc...253 RWHP...ahhh yeah...uh uh... my bone stock 88TC makes 3000 hp...DUFUS.....Inches Baby...200 cu.in. blown and on the bottle dude....600 RWHP...take yur rice burnin' POS....to the junk yard.... Luv 'Ya Baby....TEXAS Callin' MF....
You don't have a clue do you?
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

With exhaust, air cleaner and Power Commander.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »

With Turbo and small wastegate spring.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:54:14 PM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 09:54:56 PM »

Dyno sheet will help!
2023 CVO Road Glide

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 10:09:14 PM »

PZLD

It's ok to not have a clue, but when someone broadcast it to the world everyone else finds out how little they really know!

:nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 10:16:12 PM »

It's not the size of your HOG, it's what you do with it that counts :)
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 02:31:05 AM »

problems with overheathing :-\

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 04:21:05 AM »

I may be way off here with this assesment, but I think HDs size increase has very little to do with making HP/TQ, and a lot more to do with meeting EPA guidelines. As the EPA restrictions get tighter, the fuel setting gets leaner, and the timing gets "adjusted" too. So to make up for the losses caused by this, the engine gets larger.

First there was the EVO. An excellent carburated engine. Sure some of the early ones had case problems, but by and large it was a good engine. There are Evos out there today that put out more HP/TQ than some TCs. Then the TCs came out and they all ran hot to meet EPA. Then HD went with FI, first the M&M crap, then Delphi, once again to meet EPA. Then they had to add O2 closed loop to continue to meet EPA. The FI 88s ran hotter and leaner too. Now HD comes out with the TC96, and once again the 96 is one of the hottest running bikes on the face of the planet. Many of them just shut down due to heat management issues. In my opinion the added inches is an attempt to make up for more losses due to EPA. Water cooled is here in the version of the V-Rod.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 06:50:47 AM »

An alternative, X Wedge by S&S. Preliminary numbers show decent power for a EPA air cooled twin.

PZLD

It's ok to not have a clue, but when someone broadcast it to the world everyone else finds out how little they really know!
:huepfenlol2: :orange:

I find that most don't realize the power that a small displacement water cooled motor can make. Along the same lines I run a small block in my drag car, against the normal train of thought. ;)
2023 CVO Road Glide

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 07:24:56 AM »

Considering all the issues H-D has had with 103 in3 and 110 in3 engines, especially in the area of controlling heat, I think they would be better served by improving the efficiency of the current sizes and leave the monster cubes to the aftermarket.  At least until they convert to water cooling. ::)

Jerry

At some point, the MoCo will expand their water cooled offerings, IMHO.  Not sure on what is in store for these sizes - patent applications for them indicate HD wants to step up a bit more in the TQ & HP game.

Expect less mods to be offered to existing engines from the MoCo - this EPA stuff will supress dealers but offer a boom in the aftermarket, unless I read it wrong.  So many times, I read it wrong......  :nixweiss:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 07:28:43 AM »

I was interested in what your response would be to the other post.  Very appropriate, considering.

Excellent dyno results, Dude!

:2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 09:10:58 AM »

God, what a complete and total wanker. 

(no other comments necessary, nothing funny, just a wanker)

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 03:23:09 PM »

Sorry guys...I was a "Little Wasted" when I posted, all apologies forwarded...and Yes I have a clue. We have some 200 inchers with a blower putting out 500 hp around here. I know performance engines...(when sober, sorry) but EPA "Leanness" does creat issues. But if KAW and the other Big Inch Jap stuff can do it so can we....PERIOD. I don't see any Japs walking around on the Moon 38 years ago. HD is rumored to go to a water cooled V-Twin or as an EPA reports a 2450cc or so V-4 water cooled. Two stroked v-rods,,,melded together. We'll see...yes I sounded like a "Wanker" sorry again. I am quite smart, and am well versed in the HP engine building, as a profession I am a Federal Inspector for the Department of Defense (US) and inspect and authorize purchase for the weapons you see on the nightly news, and am Federaly Certified in the Mechanical, Electronics, Petrolium (Jet Fuel all types), Chemicals (All), Aerospace, Aircraft, and C&T technologies. Sorry I made a fool of myself..(Damn Rum & Coke) but I do know my stuff. I have built a 727 cu.in Big Block(Pro Stock) Car Motor on Alcohol ...made roughly 8,000 horsepower, (Blown).

Remember "When all else is equal, Cubic Inches Matter"...it's the equal part that differentiates the two.

When I watched an S&S (Air cooled) moter..Buell based (i.e. Sporty class) whip a Full on Hyabusa Drag bick that did get the "Hole Shot" at the 2007 NHRA Drags... I was pleased...with all due respect to everyone, I'll buy the next round...I'll shoot you a website on some Turbo (30 psi) 200 Inch movers shortly...(Air cooled) Twin Cams...

Here is the Website... http://www.sculpturecycles.com/index.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:41:56 PM by 05ChromeUltra »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »

Sorry guys...I was a "Little Wasted" when I posted, all apologies forwarded...and Yes I have a clue. We have some 200 inchers with a blower putting out 500 hp around here. I know performance engines...(when sober, sorry) but EPA "Leanness" does creat issues. But if KAW and the other Big Inch Jap stuff can do it so can we....PERIOD. I don't see any Japs walking around on the Moon 38 years ago. HD is rumored to go to a water cooled V-Twin or as an EPA reports a 2450cc or so V-4 water cooled. Two stroked v-rods,,,melded together. We'll see...yes I sounded like a "Wanker" sorry again. I am quite smart, and am well versed in the HP engine building, as a profession I am a Federal Inspector for the Department of Defense (US) and inspect and authorize purchase for the weapons you see on the nightly news, and am Federaly Certified in the Mechanical, Electronics, Petrolium (Jet Fuel all types), Chemicals (All), Aerospace, Aircraft, and C&T technologies. Sorry I made a fool of myself..(Damn Rum & Coke) but I do know my stuff. I have built a 727 cu.in Big Block(Pro Stock) Car Motor on Alcohol ...made roughly 8,000 horsepower, (Blown).

Remember "When all else is equal, Cubic Inches Matter"...it's the equal part that differentiates the two.

When I watched an S&S (Air cooled) moter..Buell based (i.e. Sporty class) whip a Full on Hyabusa Drag bick that did get the "Hole Shot" at the 2007 NHRA Drags... I was pleased...with all due respect to everyone, I'll buy the next round...I'll shoot you a website on some Turbo (30 psi) 200 Inch movers shortly...(Air cooled) Twin Cams...

Here is the Website... http://www.sculpturecycles.com/index.html

I wouldn't worry about it 05. We've all been drunken menaces in our time. I thought it was kinda humorous, and know where you're coming from. I love AHDRA and NHRA Bike Drags too, especially now that HD's doing well in NHRA! Nice of you to step up and apologize. I'm sure any that might have been offended will appreciate it. But you've explained it and it's done. Now let's see some pics of those blown TC's!!! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 04:45:48 PM »

Thanks Hoist...I feel better...I always respect someone else's house...!!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »

Thanks Hoist...I feel better...I always respect someone else's house...!!!

We are known to be protective, even though most of us don't need any help around here.  Welcome to the site 05.  Post some pics when you get a chance. Once or maybe even twice I have PUI, so one never knows what to expect then.  I never read my posts since that might give me a headache.   :coolblue:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 05:13:17 PM »

We are known to be protective, even though most of us don't need any help around here.  Welcome to the site 05.  Post some pics when you get a chance. Once or maybe even twice I have PUI, so one never knows what to expect then.  I never read my posts since that might give me a headache.   :coolblue:

Boy. you ain't kidding there iski! ;D Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 05:15:49 PM »

Not all all, Howie.  It mystifies me why people read them - so many make no sense.   :pepper: :cucumber: :apple: :orange: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 05:19:22 PM »

Not all all, Howie.  It mystifies me why people read them - so many make no sense.   :pepper: :cucumber: :apple: :orange: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

You're full of it iski! ;D I read 'em all. You're a great writer, and I normally enjoy what you're saying and what you're not saying! ;) Funny stuff too! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 05:21:45 PM »

Well I read mine and whooo, did I really say that....Sorry Again !!! I get a little Patriotic when under he influence...damn pround to be an American...  :bananarock:

Most of ya' could probably drink this Texan under the table though...how embarrassing... :drink:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 05:24:26 PM by 05ChromeUltra »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »

You're full of it iski! ;D I read 'em all. You're a great writer, and I normally enjoy what you're saying and what you're not saying! ;) Funny stuff too! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

Uh-oh.  You may actually understand my posts.   :o

I read all yours as well Howie (great sense of humor) and you have good info in lots of yours.  I file it away for future reference and hope I can remember where I put it.  A sense of humor really does help when one is a Harley owner.  For CVO owners, its a must.  :drink:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 05:26:47 PM »

Well I read mine and whooo, did I really say that....Sorry Again !!! I get a little Patriotic when under he influence...damn pround to be an American, but also damn proud to be a friend of the British...that you can take to the bank...  :bananarock:

Most of ya' could probably drink this Texan under the table though...how embarrassing... :drink:

Its beer thirty here, 05, and so far I am not drinking under the table - yet.

A proud Texan here as well, who somehow moved to the Bug Infested Jungle State of Micky Mouse Tourist Fleecers some Spaniard named "Florida" while stumbling around lost looking for the Fountain of Youth. Proud American first & foremost and those Brits are ok by me too.  So are the Aussies.   :drink:

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 06:00:48 PM »

I hear 'ya about Florida...Bugs...ahh yup...I was a Stock Broker there for awhile, another chapter in my life. Damn...biggest mosquitos I ever did see...Texas ain't got nothin' on them Florida Mosquitos...!!!! Thanks for the reply brotha'...take care.

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 06:02:46 PM »

Iski...where in Texas are you from...??

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 09:21:36 AM »

Iski...where in Texas are you from...??

Little town called Hillsboro.  South of Dallas, North of Waco.  Family in that area since the 1870's.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »

2000 cc = 122 cu in

2200 cc = 134 cu in

2400 cc = 146 cu in

I reckon if that's the case they're gonna have to be water cooled

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »

I reckon if that's the case they're gonna have to be water cooled

I agree- With all the crying' that's going on now about HEAT from the 110- It will have to be :)

You all can be the test bed for those rides - you can use the official HD Coolant to be named later (that we all know is Sh$t) because the motor co stuff (Fluids) are all Just inferior :)

The usuall bunch of crap and whining.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »

I'll have to say that two stroked Revo's mated into one 4 cylinder Vtwin at 2500cc, and put in a touring platform would get EVERYBODY'S attention.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 02:54:33 PM »

I agree- With all the crying' that's going on now about HEAT from the 110- It will have to be :)
The usuall bunch of crap and whining.

I just whined all the way to HD - devoted a good part of the Moco's purchase feedback survey to the heat and a/f issues.  Just mailed it today. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »

I'll have to say that two stroked Revo's mated into one 4 cylinder Vtwin at 2500cc, and put in a touring platform would get EVERYBODY'S attention.

Yeah, and a bunch of folks would be whinin that aint a Harley if it aint a air cooled V-twin, or at least a V-twin...I don't agree, just saying its gonna be a big gripe out there... :)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 11:28:34 AM »

Yeah, and a bunch of folks would be whinin that aint a Harley if it aint a air cooled V-twin, or at least a V-twin...I don't agree, just saying its gonna be a big gripe out there... :)

ceej...I know, Vrod riders get some of that crap handed to them.  I've not personally experienced it, but a lot of people who ride V's get comments from riders of "regular" Harleys to the tune of "that ain't a REAL Harley"...blah, blah, blah.  For me, it is most definitely a Harley...it feels like one when you're on it, there's nothing else on the road that looks like it, or sounds like it.  Times, they are a changin'...

I don't really see a down side to a high output water cooled touring bike developed out of the Revo motor.  The V's have had a few small problems throughout the production years, but very minor ones, and a lot of riders have LOT's of miles on these motors without any problems at all.  Having another choice is always a good thing.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »

ceej...I know, Vrod riders get some of that crap handed to them.  I've not personally experienced it, but a lot of people who ride V's get comments from riders of "regular" Harleys to the tune of "that ain't a REAL Harley"...blah, blah, blah.  For me, it is most definitely a Harley...it feels like one when you're on it, there's nothing else on the road that looks like it, or sounds like it.  Times, they are a changin'...

I don't really see a down side to a high output water cooled touring bike developed out of the Revo motor.  The V's have had a few small problems throughout the production years, but very minor ones, and a lot of riders have LOT's of miles on these motors without any problems at all.  Having another choice is always a good thing.

TC, when I sat your V-Rod for 20 minutes or so that morning it was a Harley.  Had the name right there staring back at me in the speedometer.  Surely the damn thing wouldn't have lied to me would it?  It did surely get to sumpin-sumpin miles per hour faster than any Harley I'd ridden before.  ::)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »

How can it truly be a real Harley if it only has small/minor problems?  :nixweiss:  har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 12:13:53 PM »

How can it truly be a real Harley if it only has small/minor problems?  :nixweiss:  har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder

Damn you Spyder.  That's a mouthful of soda I'll never get back.

More seriously and less sloppily though; I've never had a reason to pay close attention to the V-Rod's service history.  Do remember some early models getting new engines because the HP reporting was off a bit.  They weren't breaking.  Harley just overstated the numbers relative to what they were actually doing if memory serves me correctly.

Aside from that have the V-Rods been a relatively clean introduction.  It would be a large step from the norm for them to get a new motor right right out of the box.  Make it a new motor and a completely new platform and it wouldn't be a surprise for HD to have taxed its limits somewhat. 

V-Rod guys, has the V-Rod been pretty clean in it's first several year introduction?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »

Damn you Spyder.  That's a mouthful of soda I'll never get back.

More seriously and less sloppily though; I've never had a reason to pay close attention to the V-Rod's service history.  Do remember some early models getting new engines because the HP reporting was off a bit.  They weren't breaking.  Harley just overstated the numbers relative to what they were actually doing if memory serves me correctly.

Aside from that have the V-Rods been a relatively clean introduction.  It would be a large step from the norm for them to get a new motor right right out of the box.  Make it a new motor and a completely new platform and it wouldn't be a surprise for HD to have taxed its limits somewhat. 

V-Rod guys, has the V-Rod been pretty clean in it's first several year introduction?
2lane,

The heavy involvement of Porshe in the design and development of the V-Rod engine may have a lot to do with it.  ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:50 PM »

2lane,

The heavy involvement of Porshe in the design and development of the V-Rod engine may have a lot to do with it.  ;)

Jerry

The same thought had passed between my ears also Jerry.  Still, it's not like Harley can't find ways to screw new things up when left to their own devices.  Just glad for the V-Rod guys that such wasn't the case this time.

Does anyone know if later revisions to the product would be engineered from the same alliance?  Or does everything later become Harley's efforts?  Maybe it's Gen II that they fall back to old habits?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »

The same thought had passed between my ears also Jerry.  Still, it's not like Harley can't find ways to screw new things up when left to their own devices.  Just glad for the V-Rod guys that such wasn't the case this time.

Does anyone know if later revisions to the product would be engineered from the same alliance?  Or does everything later become Harley's efforts?  Maybe it's Gen II that they fall back to old habits?
there you go again with those 'negative vibs'.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »

there you go again with those 'negative vibs'.  har!  spyder

Spyders, there are times when negatives are positives.  Think roller coaster.  With big dips.  Dips enough to cause a moment of strong negative G.  Think girl without bra and relatively loose shirt.  Think good roller coaster ride.

Sometimes negatives are positives :2vrolijk_21: .

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2007, 01:30:14 PM »

Spyders, there are times when negatives are positives.  Think roller coaster.  With big dips.  Dips enough to cause a moment of strong negative G.  Think girl without bra and relatively loose shirt.  Think good roller coaster ride.

Sometimes negatives are positives :2vrolijk_21: .
OK......I just knew you'd have a positive spin on the negative.....that's why it's always a good thing to tune in to this site.  :coolblue: har!  :drink: spyder

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »

It did surely get to sumpin-sumpin miles per hour faster than any Harley I'd ridden before.  ::)

No Harley, but that thrill can be had on a 120" Frontier.
At least up to 120mph!

Above that it's another thrill. (but we is mum on that one)

;D

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2007, 02:50:07 PM »

Don....from my reading on the Vrod forum (about 15-20K members) one of the problems some of the early models had was a leaking fuel flange in the tank which would be evident by loss of power, sputtering, etc.  This can be checked by allowing the tank to become about 2/3 empty, peering down into the tank with a flashlight while the bike is running, and if there's a "mist" happening, it's leaking.  I think they fixed this after the 04 models...again HD exercised their right not to issue a general recall on a faulty part, but instead let people try and figure it out on their own.  Sound familiar?

Some have experienced a "clunk" in the front steering neck, but generally attributable to a loose or improperly assembled neck bearing/torque/fall away issue.  Some have high speed "wobble".  Like any bike, this can be a mulitude of things, but mostly it's been fall away related.  Keep in mind some of these guys are running these bikes at speeds up to 150mph.  I've not experienced any wobble issue up to the speeds I've run.  The suspension out of the box, of course, sucks.  There has been a recent reporting on the 07 models, an issue with a bolt  engaging the water pump to the shaft not being torqued properly and coming loose, causing some issue with heat management, but it's a pretty easy fix.  The fuel management is notoriously lean from about 2500 to 4000, so some bikes stumble a bit in those RPM ranges.  

No issues with motors having issues though.  Tolerances are tight, so a lot of sharing of MAPs happens on the forum, if you have a similar set up, with excellent results.  No significant differences between engines of the same displacement.  An 1130 can be made to run just as strong as an out of the box 1250.  With pipes and some air box/filter mods, the 1130's are getting numbers in the 105-115 HP range, with torque from 70-80, depending.  The 1250's can do 120/85, if you tinker around with the MAP enough.  Those are Dyno numbers, so can be taken with whatever grain of salt you want to.

As far as the MOCO messing around with the motor, the only real changes they have made is to do the 1250 bore and heads, which have done well thus far.  A lot of the guys over there put NOS on the bike and run the crap out them with no reported ill effects.  No problem with trannys, though they could be a bit smoother shifting between first and second gear, IMO...just not a nice click like with the Ducati, but nothing to worry about.  Clutches seem to be holding up well on those that are not obviously abused.  Battery/charging capacity is marginal.  The battery is turning over a motor with almost 11.5:1 compression, and you can tell it.  That would have to be upgraded if ever put in a bike with a lot of juice being sucked away by radios and extra lighting.  LED's are big amoung the group for that reason and others.

Probably the biggest complaint is the 3.7 gal fuel tank, but now that has been fixed for 07, and there are currently two aftermarket tanks for prior year models with good reports on them being both safe and straightforward to install.  Not a 30 minute job, but one that can be done by the halfway competent home wrench.  The only maintenance chore that promises to be a bit of a PITA is adjusting the valves, which requires slightly dropping the front of the motor to get to things.

The only other issue is finding techs at dealerships who know anything about the bikes.  Most of them don't like to work on them, just because it's something new with some more variables thrown in there they're not used to.  Plus, everything is really packed into the bike, so getting to stuff is more difficult, and adding things is a challenge just to find the space to physically put it...like a PCIII.

When HD comes out with a Revo based touring bike, I would not hesitate for a minute to give it more than a casual look.  When the Ultra gets retired, if there's one on the floor, that would probably be my next bike.  That'll be about 2011 for me.  That'll give 'em time to get the bugs worked out of the new platform and maybe have a CVO version... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2007, 03:26:09 PM »

Terry,
Awesome report on whats been going on with V-Rods over the last few years. I have had a few, "Not a real Harley" comments, one as recently as last week, at a local dealer, from one of the saleman!

You can also get bigger bore kits for the Revo motor, a 1300 and a 1550. Some of the guys on the V-Rod site really push the limits of the platform. Zippers makes a few different kits to increase performance. From what I've read the 1250 seems to be a pretty good all around motor, of course I'm partial to it anyway. I don't want to say the motor is bullet proof but it does run really strong and has a pretty good service record, and for some reason the red with the skinny little 180 rear tire are faster... ;)

Ed :pepper:

"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2007, 03:32:33 PM »

That'll give 'em time to get the bugs worked out of the new platform and maybe have a CVO version... :2vrolijk_21:

Hey Terry, that'll be a lot of stars to line up!  :nervous: har!   :drink:spyder

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »

Terry,
Awesome report on whats been going on with V-Rods over the last few years. I have had a few, "Not a real Harley" comments, one as recently as last week, at a local dealer, from one of the saleman!

You can also get bigger bore kits for the Revo motor, a 1300 and a 1550. Some of the guys on the V-Rod site really push the limits of the platform. Zippers makes a few different kits to increase performance. From what I've read the 1250 seems to be a pretty good all around motor, of course I'm partial to it anyway. I don't want to say the motor is bullet proof but it does run really strong and has a pretty good service record, and for some reason the red with the skinny little 180 rear tire are faster... ;)

Well, at least my bike is red...not the same red, but it's still red. ;)  Actually, there is some truth to the 180 tire being a bit faster.  The handling issues are a bunch of bunk, but on the dyno, the smaller tire will produce better numbers.

TTS Mastertune

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »

Well, at least my bike is red...not the same red, but it's still red. ;)  Actually, there is some truth to the 180 tire being a bit faster.  The handling issues are a bunch of bunk, but on the dyno, the smaller tire will produce better numbers.

Just teasing ya Buddy! ;)

:pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2007, 04:10:25 PM »

Have any of you looked into the VROD Destroyer Top End parts shown in the '07SE Catalog? They show Heads, TB, Injectors and Cams from the Destroyer, available for retrofit. I wonder how they work with standard gearing as opposed to being used on a 9 sec Drag Bike. Hoist! 8)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »

Have any of you looked into the VROD Destroyer Top End parts shown in the '07SE Catalog? They show Heads, TB, Injectors and Cams from the Destroyer, available for retrofit. I wonder how they work with standard gearing as opposed to being used on a 9 sec Drag Bike. Hoist! 8)

I talked with the local parts guys and everything fits it's getting the right combination. Not a lot of people in this area want to touch it.

I'm saving my funds for an Ultra, I'm happy with the set up on my V now.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »

Just teasing ya Buddy! ;)

:pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

I know all about your big, fat tire envy, Ed ;) ;D

TTS Mastertune

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2007, 06:51:38 AM »

I know all about your big, fat tire envy, Ed ;) ;D

:nixweiss: What??

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 24 queries.