Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Looking for a bike for the wife  (Read 3063 times)

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Looking for a bike for the wife
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »

I'm looking to buy my wife her own bike but I don't know any female riders. She likes the lowrider but they dicontinued them so I tried to get her interested in a Softail Deluxe without success. She's 5'6" and about 120 lbs. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Also her first bike.

I want it to be a nice bike because it may turn out to be my second bike if you know what I mean....ha ha ha

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 BLACK FLHTCU/110
    • CVO2: 2010 TS FLHXSE
    • Porkbelliesmc
Re: Looking for a bike for the wife
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:14:33 AM »

GET HER A STREETGLIDE

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:17:57 AM »

I would like it if she would pick a bike from the touring class but, it's for my own selfish purposes. She's worried about the weight thing but she hates the sportster line. She likes the looks of the Fatboy but thinks its too big for her.....damn

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:25:11 AM »

My GF tried out a Heritage on a demo ride last fall and fell in love with it. She is only 5'3" but it fit her quite well.  If she gets it :nixweiss: she may have to get a skinny seat or have it lowered a bit but it is a great chick bike. :2vrolijk_21:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:12:17 AM »

I need to get her on a fatboy with a narrow seat. I think that's what she didn't like about the bike.

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:07:49 AM »

Go for an Heritage.She will be happy with that.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:00:03 AM »

Have you considered the Fatboy Low? Seat height is 26.35" empty.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:23:21 AM »

Used low rider? 

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:27:28 AM »

Used low rider? 

Good point Mike. I got caught up in her height. New bike for a first time rider(?) - probably not a good idea.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 08:25:16 AM »

used red switchblade.....hmmm yeah that would be a hot scoot

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=45858.0

jeffj
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:27:10 AM by jeffj »

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »

Whew glad i read the post twice..........I thought it said looking for a wife for the bike and i thought HUH??????? :P
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 09:02:53 AM »

dont know if its still true, but the fatboy used to have the lowest seat height
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »

mine looked at having her own bike. several models geared toward women now. seat height even handlebar length and widths. my dealer showed her all the models.i think the choices are much better now than they ever have been. just get her a slow one. makes me really mad when she passes >:(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:34:26 PM by smkymtnboy »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:35 AM »

dont know if its still true, but the fatboy used to have the lowest seat height

I wouldn't look at a Lowrider as they aren't really low compared to the Fatboy, Heritage, or Deluxe.

The heriatge is the best deal as it comes with saddlebags, windshield, and sissy bar.   No matter what you buy, you will probably have to change out the seat and handlebars to make it fit her.

But, if she really enjoys biking, you may as well get a Streetglide as said earlier and make it fit her as that is what she will end up with.

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 10:23:04 AM »

My wife is on a fatboy and loves it. Much easier to ride than the sportster she used to ride. She rode last year with the wide seat and we fixed her up with a narrower seat this year.  Low center of gravity makes it a nice handler much like the heritage.
Rob
Rob

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »

My sister in law has an '08 street glide and she is short in stature. Lowering kit, "custom seat to her" from Corbin (after two tries) and handle bars change were all needed and she still has some issues. Falls over in the gravel from not being fully flat footed.

A good friend of hers has an '07 Road King. She is an average sized woman and all she "needed" was a seat change.

"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• Porkbelliesmc
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »

Fatboy Low probably a good fit, but a lowered Heritage looks better & more versatile.

"I got a Harley for my wife----it was a good trade!"

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »

I wouldn't look at a Lowrider as they aren't really low compared to the Fatboy, Heritage, or Deluxe.

The heriatge is the best deal as it comes with saddlebags, windshield, and sissy bar.   No matter what you buy, you will probably have to change out the seat and handlebars to make it fit her.

But, if she really enjoys biking, you may as well get a Streetglide as said earlier and make it fit her as that is what she will end up with.
I have to agree Soozie first rode a Fatboy and liked it but with no windshield and hard bags we were looking at having to change it all finally talked her into riding my Electra Glide we lower it and she wouldn't ride anything else,well maybe a new Streeglide. You'll end up buying one sooner or later.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:16 AM »

She's flat footed on the Fatboy even with the wide seat. Thank god she has a narrow ass and the seat just feels uncomfortable. She liked the way the Deluxe felt, just not the look she wanted. I should be looking at a used Superglide, they seem to be very cheap right now and she was also flat footed on it too.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »

My GF loves having a FatBoy between her legs :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  but She also likes to ride her Bike  :nixweiss: :bananarock: :bananarock:

nashalynn

• -:¦:-
  • Senior CVO Member
  • # 5459

• CVO1: Hers: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: His: 2009 SERG
    • CVO3: Extra? 2001 SERG
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »

I have a Heritage Springer I bought new - it rides great, it’s balanced very well so you don’t notice the weight. I am 5’10, so didn’t have to lower it. I now ride a SEUC, it’s heavier, but who cares - I can pass all of my Non-CVO friends and even my husband (sometimes)!
Maggie Valley NC (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Ribfest (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
New River Gorge (2010)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »

I'm looking to buy my wife her own bike but I don't know any female riders. She likes the lowrider but they dicontinued them so I tried to get her interested in a Softail Deluxe without success. She's 5'6" and about 120 lbs. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Also her first bike.

I want it to be a nice bike because it may turn out to be my second bike if you know what I mean....ha ha ha

What was the problem convincing her to go for the Deluxe?  This bike was designed for shorter inseams with a lower seat height and the seat moved slightly forward to reach the foot & hand controls better.  Even at 5'6" she'll feel much more comfortable and in control on this bike, even though she's not that short.  The advantage of the Heritage over a Deluxe is that it comes with bags and shield... However the Deluxe is way better for handling by a new rider, IMHO.

After coming off of a Honda 250 Rebel my wife had a Low Rider for 7 years and although it was a great looking bike, with the raked front end it was a lot more difficult to maneuver than the Ultra she currently rides.

If she's (or you) are stuck on H-D the Deluxe is the way to go... However a great starting bike for a lady is the Honda 750 Shadow... More than enough power to start off with and a bike that could do for a few years while she decides what's next.  Besides, you can pick up a used Shadow without a big investment until she knows for sure that this riding thing is for her.

Again, JMHO.

Good luck & please pass along a message to your better half...

You go girl!   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:54:26 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »

What was the problem convincing her to go for the Deluxe?  This bike was designed for shorter inseams with a lower seat height and the seat moved slightly forward to reach the foot & hand controls better.  Even at 5'6" she'll feel much more comfortable and in control on this bike, even though she's not that short.  The advantage of the Heritage over a Deluxe is that it comes with bags and shield... However the Deluxe is way better for handling by a new rider, IMHO.

After coming off of a Honda 250 Rebel my wife had a Low Rider for 7 years and although it was a great looking bike, with the raked front end it was a lot more difficult to maneuver than the Ultra she currently rides.

If she's (or you) are stuck on H-D the Deluxe is the way to go... However a great starting bike for a lady is the Honda 750 Shadow... More than enough power to start off with and a bike that could do for a few years while she decides what's next.  Besides, you can pick up a used Shadow without a big investment until she knows for sure that this riding thing is for her.

Again, JMHO.

Good luck & please pass along a message to your better half...

You go girl!   :2vrolijk_21:
I agree with Grizzly.  My GF has been riding for about 5 yrs. now,  started out on a 250 Honda for the first little bit then picked up a 750 Shadow which she still rides, and loves it.  Once the funds are threr she will likely move to the Heritage but for now is happy on the Shadow which she had personalized quite nicely I might add :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »

I bought my wife a 2000 FXR4 last year.  She loves it!  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:35:27 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »

I have a 04' Low rider that I could part with. 3K miles and more rare than any CVO. it is #16 of only 75 made. PM if you want to hear more.

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »

I saw that you dont like the Sportsters, but I would hook you up with a 09 Sportster Low. 6k and it has 9 miles on it. Just the guy at the dealership that test rode it. -Wolf. 
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »

I would like it if she would pick a bike from the touring class but, it's for my own selfish purposes. She's worried about the weight thing but she hates the sportster line. She likes the looks of the Fatboy but thinks its too big for her.....damn

My wife was concerned about the weight thing also.  She went through a couple of Dyna Low Riders before she got her Street Glide.  Now she tells all the women "I should have just started with a Street Glide!".

Melanie (SGChick on this forum) is smaller than your wife.....tiny and she rides a Street Glide.  Get her to sit on one that has a Corbin (lower than stock) close reach seat (closer to the bars and narrower in the tongue) and she'll surrender to the Street Glide.

Right here in Nor Cal there's Susan, Melanie and Terrie all on Street Glides and Soozie on a SEEG.  I think they'd all tell her to start with a Street Glide.  Susan bought her Street Glide before she took the MSF course. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 06:45:24 PM »

My wife rides an 08 Deluxe with hard bags and loves the bike....

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »

My wife LOVES her Fatboy!!!!

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »

The problem with the deluxe was mostly the nostalgia look. The white walls etc. The height of the bike hasn't really been an issue. She's 5'6", so not really short.

The size of the bike is purely mental because she stands them up easily.

Ed45

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »

I have an 06 FX Springer which has the 200 rear. Its Stage I with some trim upgrades like the tri-bar taillight. I have to sell it to permit my new SEUC in my budget. Cool ride, nice sound with the V&H Big Shots.  LaPera seat stitching matches the black cherry. Not trying to sell you (I already have a couple people who want to buy it) but its a very sweet ride. One to consider IMHO. Ed

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »

Here's a friend's Deluxe with hard bags.

Would love to see Mrs. Skippy's ride.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:05:02 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• Porkbelliesmc
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 12:24:55 AM »

STREET GLIDE!!!

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »

switchblade

jes sayin'

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 01:35:45 AM »

Maybe the right thing to do is buy a cheap Metric for her to drop so I don't get upset. I'll have to keep it inside so that I don't get myself in trouble.

There was a switchblade for sale here during the summer that I should have bought but, I didn't know she wanted her own bike at the time.

I have a buddy trying to sell me his low milage 06 Wideglide for 12,000 ish. He's a little high from what I can tell from the prices on ebay. But I think he's in line with KBB. Doesn't seem like the economy is picking up anytime soon so I have some time to find a "better than average" hell of a deal.

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 02:13:44 AM »

Get her a 2010 SEUC. Just in case she don't like it . lol  :P
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 03:58:09 PM »

Get her a 2010 SEUC. Just in case she don't like it . lol  :P
I LIKE THE WAY THIS MAN THINKS!!!!!!

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »

Hmmmmm, sounds good until I have to pay for it!!!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »

My wife is 5'2" and started on a Sportster and moved up to a Lowrider and she actually rides the Lowrider better due to the lower center of gravity. Now she wants floorboards and thinks the SG weighs too much so we are looking at a Deluxe.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »

Hmmmmm, sounds good until I have to pay for it!!!
Help the wife find a second job   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »

I haven't gotten back to a first job yet!!

She's been pulling a Peggy Bundy on me for about 3 years.

She used to work as a bean counter, she loves that term. This bike is part of that motivation to go back to work.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »

My wife and I were in Rapid City over Rally time a few years ago and HD has their display in the civic center. HD was showcasing the reduced reach parts. I encouraged my wife to sit on the Fatboy that they had on display and she was hesitant but did it and found that the bike fit and balanced very well and she was able to stand flat footed. She is only 5'2". Now when I asked her to sit on a bike she always compared the one she's sitting on to the Fatboy of a few years ago. I would encourage you to find a bike that your wife likes and make it fit her, she'll be more excited to ride, which is always a good thing.

Supershooter  ;D

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• Porkbelliesmc
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »

This one worked great but she likes the SESG too!

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »

Have her sit on the Fatboy low, its low center of gravity makes it feel really light.
It was designed for woman  :2vrolijk_21:

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 21 queries.