Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning a ride around the Grand Canyon  (Read 1013 times)

jemattingly

• Junior CVO Member
Planning a ride around the Grand Canyon
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:48:50 AM »

Guys and Gals,

I am looking for a ride (3 or 4 days) that will take us in and around the Grand Canyon.  We are looking to go in the late June timeframe.  Time is the commodity so we will ship 4 or 5 bikes from KY and fly out to meet them.  The only thing we have to do is make a quick stop in Canon City, CO.  Anybody know of a good route that will let maximize the use of limited time?

I am also looking for reasonable shippers.  Who has the best deal?  We can pick up and drop at different cities.  Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Eric

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Planning a ride around the Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:51:54 AM »

Sounds like a lot of fun, Hope you like HOT weather. And make sure to RSVP motels well ahead of time, in fact now is a good head start. I did a similar trip to the Grand Canyon back in 2001 and our group ended spending the night outdoors one evening....damn no vacancy signs...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:06:52 AM »

Use the search feature for shippers......there are a number of threads on here with recommendations.  Keyboard Motorcycle shippers is who I and many others have used with success.

Canyon City, Colo.  You may want to ship your bikes to Colorado Springs, Colo.  Canyon City is just south of there about half hour or so.  Then you could ride west on Hwy. 50 to Montrose, Co.  Then south through Ouray and Silverton (Million Doller Highway......do a google search) to Durango.  Then west on 160 to Tuba City, Az.  From there you're going to head to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.  The North Rim is a very long way around and not much to see there......the south rim is where you get to ride along the rim for miles and miles with plenty of pull outs and places to stop for photo ops.

The only other thing I might add is the Meza Verde Cliff Dwellings just past Mancos, Colo.  A quick tour will add about 2-3 hours to your trip but well worth it!  The other thing is Monument Valley......when you get to Kayenta, Az. turn north on 163 for a quick ride up to Monument Valley (google search) that will add 1-2 hours to your trip but well worth it!

Look at Reply #72 to #105 to see pics of the route I suggest above.......   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=54514.msg787419#msg787419
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:15:06 AM »

Just got to thinking......if you're shipping one way, you might want to ship to Grand Canyon Harley Davidson in Bellmont, Az (be sure to get a steak at the Route 66 Roadhouse next door!  see it in the pics of the thread below) and then do the route I suggested in reverse (west to east).

Click on this link to see mine and Terrie's ride a couple of years ago, starting in Monument Valley, South Rim, Williams, Sedona, etc.  Start on Reply #66 and go through to Reply #153     http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40384.msg621795#msg621795

For advice on the temps......be prepared with your heated gear and your cool vests and cool snakes.  Then do a ten day forecast just before you leave and you'll know what to take.  You're also subject to hit rain but not much.  The weather out there can change really fast.  I don't think June will be to hot yet, though.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »

Contact HaulBikes.com I think you should call.  If I remember its 1-800 haulbikes.
From Canyon City take hwy 50 thru Salida then you make a choice to go South or West South will take you over Wolf Creek Pass a very nice hwy to Durango, or go West at Salida staying on hwy 50 thru Gunnison to,  Montrose then South on hwy 550 to Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton, the "Million Dollar Hi way" into Durango on 550.  If you have never been on hwy 550 it is a must do road.  Remember rain gear it can be very nice that time of year but at that altitude it can always rain maybe even a snow shower no big deal.  Take lots of pictures and breath deep there is a sign at the top of one of the passes that says this is some of the cleanest air in the world.  I don't know about that, but it is a real treat to ride area!!!  From Durango your choices are limited and you make the Canyon South rim in one day.  I recomend the North rim a lot less people much more intimate and a 1,000 foot higher.  The south rim has a better angle with the sun at your back for most of the day.  Either way it is a Breath taking view.!!!!
Have Fun
Ride Safe
Take lots of pictures
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

At the south rim consider doing a helicopter ride.  I've been twice and the first time didn't even think about the ride until we got there.  It was so good the first time around, we took another helicopter spin the next time back four or five years later.  Our most recent trip was in Sept. 2010 and we used:

Grand Canyon Helicopters-South Rim Terminal
3563 Hummingbird Drive
Grand Canyon National Park Airport
Tusayan, Arizona 86023

It was a 50 minute tour and it cost $204.00 per person, but you'll see more on that 50 minute tour than you could see in a week traveling around the canyon.  I don't think that you would regret it!  You want to make sure that you're in a helicopter with all the seats facing forward.  Here's one shot that I took over the canyon.

Page created in 4.514 seconds with 25 queries.