Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Towing  (Read 1410 times)

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
Towing
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »

Just got back from my first trip where I towed my aluma trailer to the NC/SC coast. Most of the trip was on the interstate doing between 70 and 75 MPH. OAT was in the 90's. 260 to 266 seemed to be the norm for oil temps. However while coming back yesterday I was stuck in a traffic crawl on I-95 just before the VA line. It was stop and go for miles. I could definely feel the heat building. Pulled under a bridge, hit the temp button and saw 278. :o  I shut it down for a little while. After letting it sit for 20 minutes I rode the shoulder to the next exit and took the back roads around the accident. In August I'm taking another trip with the trailer to Cleveland where I'll be going through the Appilachians. The motor has plenty of grunt for towing through the mountains, I just wonder how hot it's going to get while doing it.

One day the wife and I road to Myrtle Beach. Kept the speed at 60-65. I was pleaseantly surprised to see it never got above 230.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Towing
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »

OK if you can keep moving....it's the stops with no air-flow that run the temps up too high, towing or not.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »

OK if you can keep moving....it's the stops with no air-flow that run the temps up too high, towing or not.  spyder
I agree, before I ever towed a trailer, I used to have to shutdown my bike if stuck in traffic jambs. 
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »

This is one of the big differences between an air cooled Harley and all the modern water cooled products.  Air cooling in the world of Harley requires large amounts of air to be constantly moving over the engine, and they don't provide fans to keep that air flowing at low speeds or when sitting in traffic.  They also don't provide enough surface area to allow more efficient radiational cooling at those low air velocities, mostly because they would then run into overcooling in normal riding or cool weather.  The situation could be greatly improved with the simple addition of temperature controlled fans and higher capacity oil coolers, but for whatever reason Harley seems to be loathe to admit there even is a problem, much less step up to address it.  But that doesn't mean you can't address it yourself; the aftermarket does offer some solutions like better oil coolers (Jagg) and some also offer fan kits that can be added to the coolers.  Of course, there are also the parade fan kits that mount where the horn currently resides to blow air between the cylinders.

I avoid all of that by trying to avoid having to stop, and when I do get caught in a traffic jam or by a train, I shut the engine down and don't let it sit idling.  Better to just pull off and sit than to inch along for miles at a time, IMHO.  Saves a lot of wear and tear on the clutch too.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »

Anyway you've got the EITMS system to avoid overheat. Are you sure it is turned on?
Personally I drive a lot in town and since I mounted true dual system, stage 1, Harley fan kit and mid-frame heat deflectors heat is not a problem for me anymore.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »

I don't believe EITMS came until 2007 :nixweiss: The fans do help but not a cure.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »

I don't believe EITMS came until 2007 :nixweiss: The fans do help but not a cure.

:2vrolijk_21:   The current incarnation of engine idle temperature management, EITMS, was introduced in 2007 and included shutting down the rear cylinder completely.  Previous models, like the subject 2006 model, had a different system that used lowered idle speed and timing/fuel changes, and ultimately what was called skip fire (a deliberate miss) to slow the buildup of heat.  One major difference, other than not completely shutting down the rear cylinder, was in the temperatures at which the systems went into affect.  The current EITMS kicks in when the head temps are still below 300°F, the older systems kicked in at much higher temps.  

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:57:50 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »

:oops: I didn't noticed it was a 2006, by the way, the true dual is IMO a good way to keep your pants cooler! With the original exhaust my wife couldn't keep the right foot on the peg, now it's ok.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »

Good info grc...thanks

Just before I shut it down I noticed my idle dropped some. Now I know it was by design.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.