Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ride Plan  (Read 1032 times)

xbigallenx

• A day with out riding is like a day with out Air.
  • Junior CVO Member
  • The day I brought it home.
Ride Plan
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:54 PM »

I'm planning a ride for late spring from Chattanooga TN to DC. By the way of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Has anybody made this trip? And what suggesting do you have. Where do you get off the parkway for gas and food? Where the best place to stay or camp on the parkway?
Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
Re: Ride Plan
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

I'm planning a ride for late spring from Chattanooga TN to DC. By the way of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Has anybody made this trip? And what suggesting do you have. Where do you get off the parkway for gas and food? Where the best place to stay or camp on the parkway?
Wife and I attempted that a few years ago. Well wasn't going to DC just wanting to do complete BRP. I would say you may need several days to make that trip unless you just ride,ride,ride,gas,ride,ride,ride! The Parkway is a nice ride but you can't make good travel time on it, at least my wife and I were unable to. Great views if the weather is clear. Blue Ridge Parkway has a website with map and info about gas,food,lodging. I can't recall where we got off the Parkway for the night. We changed plans after two days riding BRP, will try it again when we have more time. Won't you need to get on the parkway in Cherokee, NC? Sorry couldn't be more help. Maybe others have more details about your quest. Good Luck!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »

1sharprdkg is absolutely right.  I planned on driving the length of the BRP to DC once, but by the half way point, my passengers were car sick, and I was ready to run over the next car ahead of me that refused to go over 10mph.  It was a BEAUTIFUL drive, and it would have been better on a bike, but driving 100s of miles at 15mph is brutal.  Good luck, have fun, be safe.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »

Did it several years ago.  I took three days to complete and that was a very comfortable pace.  Website has all the "exits" and gas / lodging info.  Started in Cherokee - stopped about 25 miles south of the VA border for the first night.  Second day to Lynchburg VA to stay with friends.  Last day Skyline Drive (35 MPH) and into northern VA by late afternoon.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »

Just don't be in a rush.  Best camp off the parkway in VA is http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/
Spada84
NoSofa!

xbigallenx

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:19 PM »

Thanks  Guys. I cant wait don't know yet when I'm going of if I'm going by myself or with some buddys.

mark

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »

Have ridden BRP many times and the only traffic problems I've encountered are in the Fall when the "leaf watchers" show up and drive 15 mph.  Traffic will be lighter during the week, so if you can avoid the weekend, do so.  I've ridden the Parkway from Asheville to the VA line and back in a day and made acceptable time.  You'll make better time the further north you go due to the flatter terrain.  If your schedule allows, try to work in a trip on the Cherohala Skyway.  It's a BRP type drive, but not nearly as long.  Also, I've been to the BRP in June, and at the higher elevations in the a.m., had on long-johns, chaps, sweatshirt, leather jacket, winter gloves, etc.  Enjoy your trip.   

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »

Wife and I rode Skyline Drive / BRP from north to south 2 years ago. The only planned stop was in Ashville NC to stay at the Biltmore for two nights - I'm high maintenance :huepfenlol2: - we made the round trip in a total of 13 days -- and that was with a detour through Kentucky and West Va. on the return to avoid some nasty weather.  2600+ miles put on the bike we enjoyed every one of them.
Study a map, surf the BRP website and make note of the sites to see off the parkway - we stopped at Monticello (Thomas Jeffersons homestead), did the Biltmore tours, Maggie valley, saw Colonel Sanders first chicken joint in Kentucky, York PA, and Hershey PA. not tomention all the little parks, overlooks and wildlife areas.  As mentioned two weeks was about right for us to make the trip from CT and back with enought time to relax and enjoy it and by taking it easy mommas happy - and if mommas happy everybody is happy   :2vrolijk_21:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

xbigallenx

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 07:48:26 AM »

Sounds  great Mark and Phato. Ive road the Cherohala Skyway and the Dragon many times. I can leave my house at 7 in the morning and be back home by 7 at night and eat twice. it about a 375 mile round trip for me. Im going to DC for the Year of the Chief. and thought that would be a good ride. I do want to see some sites on the way. I thinking 4 to 5 days. but the weekend will be involed. Dont want to take to much time off work.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »

To me personally the BRP is a monotonous ride.  The scenic nature of the ride is obviously special.  But that (well patrolled) 45 mph speed limit makes you choke on your own vomit after a short time.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »

At least there is some scenery now & then. Get farther north on Skyland Dr to really drink puke.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.