Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dirty Oil No More  (Read 3269 times)

J.D.

Re: Dirty Oil No More
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 12:46:45 PM »

My Dyna only needs 2-1/2 quarts of oil with a filter.  Honestly this is no big deal and nobody should be questioned or ridiculed if they want to purge everything out.

Easiest way I could think of would be to do the oil change, let it run for awhile to get hot, drain the oil from the pan and whatever is in the filter, replace the 20-minute old filter and refill with new oil.  Even premium synthetic oil at $8/qt this only costs $20 extra.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 02:42:27 PM »

My muffler bearings are now sealed synthetic.  Lifetime bearings with no grease fittings.  My bikes are old enough my blinkers are still manual rather than hydraulic so they don't use blinder fluid.  It's really easier that way.

Manual blinkers?  I bet you don't use laser alignment for the johnson bar.

You get 1.54 more HP & 2.1 more TQ in addition to .17 more mpg if you use sealed synthetic muffler bearings.  I just wrote that, you read it on the internet, so... it must be true.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 03:47:56 PM »

A good question.  A few ounces of dirty oil that remain in a motor after an oil change is not anything I have been concerned about.  Personally it ranks between greasing the muffler bearings & changing the blinker fluid.

If any of you guys have watched the scavenger oil puck video you can see that at least 32 ounces of oil comes out dirty. When I had my evo I used to fill the tank with fresh oil and then run with filter off until fresh oil came out at least 28 to 32 ounces. Then put filter on and topped off tank. (as you all know oil routing is thru engine and then filter on evo so no worries about running dry). That being said I have to go change the throw-out bearings in my mirrors, and top off the freon in my tires. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

J.D.

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »

I still believe changing oil at more frequent intervals is better for the engine and essentially addresses the root cause of the concern.  JMHO.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 04:02:28 PM »

I still believe changing oil at more frequent intervals is better for the engine and essentially addresses the root cause of the concern.  JMHO.

Funny how as the automobile industry has extended change intervals from the old 3000 miles to 5000 to 7500 to the current oil life software based intervals that can be up to 20,000 miles, the engine longevity has also increased immensely.  I think way too many people give too much credit to oil changes, and not enough credit to all the improvements made in design, materials, and quality of the actual hardware.  BTW, the best, highest priced motor oil in the world, changed monthly, could not fix what ails Harley-Davidson's engines.  But if anyone feels excessive oil changing makes them sleep better at night, by all means don't let me rain on your parade.  In the overall scheme of things, people waste a lot more money and time on less productive activities.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »

Agree on the autos.  The one remarkable difference is the Harleys see much higher temperatures than water cooled engines with thermostats.  In theory an air cooled engine will be much harder on oil.  But an oil analysis can confirm that.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 04:30:39 PM »

Manual blinkers?  I bet you don't use laser alignment for the johnson bar.

You get 1.54 more HP & 2.1 more TQ in addition to .17 more mpg if you use sealed synthetic muffler bearings.  I just wrote that, you read it on the internet, so... it must be true.

The improved fuel usage is very true.  But only partly because of the sealed synthetic muffler bearings.  53% (approximately) comes from the lowered wind resistance that is the result of the now unnecessary grease fitting no longer sticking out in the breeze.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »

That being said I have to go change the throw-out bearings in my mirrors, and top off the freon in my tires. CAHDBIKER

This reminded me to rotate my valve stem caps.  Thx.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »

The improved fuel usage is very true.  But only partly because of the sealed synthetic muffler bearings.  53% (approximately) comes from the lowered wind resistance that is the result of the now unnecessary grease fitting no longer sticking out in the breeze.

Concur.

What is the wind speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 05:06:21 PM »

Concur.

What is the wind speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Plaid or maroon?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 05:07:34 PM »

If any of you guys have watched the scavenger oil puck video you can see that at least 32 ounces of oil comes out dirty. When I had my evo I used to fill the tank with fresh oil and then run with filter off until fresh oil came out at least 28 to 32 ounces. Then put filter on and topped off tank. (as you all know oil routing is thru engine and then filter on evo so no worries about running dry). That being said I have to go change the throw-out bearings in my mirrors, and top off the freon in my tires

i have no problem with you using that system, it's your bike, your money, whatever makes you feel good is aok in my book. 

but, the only reason that 32oz 'comes out dirty' is that it only takes like an oz of dirty oil to dirty the other oil.  but it's all cosmetic.  it just looks dirty, it will provide plenty of protection for your engine.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »

If any of you guys have watched the scavenger oil puck video you can see that at least 32 ounces of oil comes out dirty. When I had my evo I used to fill the tank with fresh oil and then run with filter off until fresh oil came out at least 28 to 32 ounces. Then put filter on and topped off tank. (as you all know oil routing is thru engine and then filter on evo so no worries about running dry). That being said I have to go change the throw-out bearings in my mirrors, and top off the freon in my tires. CAHDBIKER

Gotta call BS on that one.  You could not sump something around 25% of total volume and still have the engine running.  The system would not allow it.  Seeing an overall mix that didn't look pristine?  Ah, maybe.  But you're talking ounces of remaining oil; not a quart.  That's why it's just no big deal.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 05:26:52 PM »

Plaid or maroon?

Using flusher fill oil method it's  maroon.  Conventional method = Capistrano plaid.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »

If you follow correct procedure for an oil change, and if your oiling system is working correctly, you will only have somewhere between four and eight ounces of oil left in the sump.  If you really think you have 32 ounces of old oil remaining in the engine after an oil change, you really should get that POS to the shop right away 'cause something is far from copacetic.

If you have a Twin Cam and want to know exactly how much oil is left in your engine, remove the casting plug in the bottom of the cases and measure what comes out.  Don't do it often, that plug is not like a real drain plug and it isn't designed to be used like one.  But if done carefully one time, you may be enlightened as to how little oil is really left in the sump (assuming you followed the oil change procedure).  On an M8 you can remove the crank sensor from the bottom of the case and measure what comes out.

Trust me, if you take your car or truck to a fast lube joint for oil changes, in most cases they are leaving more than four ounces in your engine.  They don't wait around for all the oil in the top end to drain down completely, they pull the plug and when the oil flow slows to a trickle they jam the plug back in the hole to help meet their time limit.  It's one of the many reasons I still change my own fluids in all my vehicles.  I take the time to be thorough, not many for-profit shops do the same.  Also, unlike those shops I have never had a filter dump all my new oil out because I didn't check for and remove the old filter gasket or didn't tighten the filter properly, I've never stripped a drain plug, I've never put the wrong fluid in any of the various "holes", and I've never damaged my vehicles in any way while doing the service.  Most of those fast lube places cannot honestly make the same claim.  And I count the average Harley dealership oil changers in the same category as those kids in the fast lube places btw. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 07:50:25 PM »

+1 Jerry.  Still do all of my own vehicle fluid work for exactly these reasons.  And of course the labor cost savings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.