Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adaptor?  (Read 2933 times)

rogerutley

• Junior CVO Member
  • fxr3
adaptor?
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »

getting ready to buy a lift, will i need to buy a adaptor for my FXR3??  any tips????
fxr3

RedFXR2

Re: adaptor?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:46:47 PM »

Not sure what you mean.  I have a lift I got from Pep Boys that I've used occasionally on my FXR2.  Nothing special that I can tell.

But since you ask, I will say that you might measure the distance between the bottom frame rails on your bike to make sure that the two rails on the lift will be long enough to have proper reach when you roll the lift under the bike.  My lift is just barely long enough--I have to be quite careful when using it.  Wish it was about 4 inches longer.  It could also stand to lower a bit closer to the floor when fully collapsed.

Did I mention I got it at Pep Boys? ::) ;D

rogerutley

• Junior CVO Member
  • fxr3
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 05:09:24 PM »

thx for reply and tip...most jacks i see for sell mention a adaptor is needed for a dyna/fxr....why i am not sure...
fxr3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »

The adapter Harley sells for a Dyna is required because the oil pan extends slightly below the frame tubes.  Without the adapter you would be lifting with one leg of the jack on the frame tubes, and the other would be on the oil pan.  Not good.

I don't believe this is a problem on any model except the Dyna.

Jerry

This is the actual wording Harley uses on their lift:  Twin Cam-equipped Dyna® models require adapter kit P/N 98965-99 for proper fitment.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:15:09 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 05:23:02 PM »

getting ready to buy a lift, will i need to buy a adaptor for my FXR3??  any tips????

Before you waste money...  Get a J&S.

Sean

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »

grc....

Is exactly right....I use to own a 2003 Dyna Low Rider, and the jack I use also required that I make a purchase of an adaptor to compensate exactly what grc stated.  As for the FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4....there would not be this requirement....although FXR2 is right when he says to measure the length of the arms of the lift that will fit under your FXR to make sure it will lift properly....I embarrassed to say how much I payed for my lift...it was fairly expensive.....and no I didn't get it a Pep Boys....lol...I think my lift will raise 1100 lbs or something like that.....it's probably over kill.....I hear a lot of guys go to sears as well....or perhaps Pep Boys.....lol

Regards,

"FXR2evo99"

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 08:59:06 AM »

But since you ask, I will say that you might measure the distance between the bottom frame rails on your bike to make sure that the two rails on the lift will be long enough to have proper reach when you roll the lift under the bike.  My lift is just barely long enough--I have to be quite careful when using it.  Wish it was about 4 inches longer.  It could also stand to lower a bit closer to the floor when fully collapsed.

Just to flesh out my own post for future reference--

My lift has a reach of 12 1/4 inches.  This is the length of the two padded arms that contact the frame rails of the bike.  The frame rails of my bike are about 11 inches apart.  I say "about" because I'm lying on my side and trying to measure from the outer edges of the tubular rails.  The actual bottom edges of the rails (lying on the arms of the lift) would be closer.  This would seem to be plenty of extra reach (12 1/4" versus 11") but here's the problem.

My lift is about 4 5/8" high when fully collapsed and that's too high to fit under the bike when it's leaning on the sidestand.  So to slide it under, I have to sit vertically on the bike, off the sidestand, and lean off and guide the lift into place with my right arm or foot.  Hard to carefully position it this way.  Then carefully allow the bike to lean left onto the lift and dismount to check position.  So---it would be  nice to have a lift that collapses as low as possible, lower anyway, than 4 5/8".  If it went lower, I could do without the extra length I mentioned.

But on the whole, I use it only occasionally anyway so I can live with it.

Oh, by the way.  I got it at Pep Boys. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:04:16 AM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »

...I think my lift will raise 1100 lbs or something like that.....it's probably over kill.....

Heck, my Pep Boys lift says 1500lb capacity. ;D ;D

I hear a lot of guys go to sears as well....or perhaps Pep Boys.....lol

What a coincidence, that's where I got mine. ;D ;D

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 09:35:38 AM »

Before you waste money...  Get a J&S.

Just looked and the J&S lift collapses to 4", as opposed to my Pep Boys unit only going to 4 5/8".  That extra 5/8" might solve my main complaint.  On the other hand at $339.00 for the J&S, it's waaaay more expensive.  I'm sure you get what you pay for.  I just don't need to use a lift very often at all.

And besides, if you got the J&S, you couldn't have all the fun in dropping the Pep Boys name in casual conversations to impress folks. ;D

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 01:45:07 AM »

I just don't need to use a lift very often at all.

ummmm I always am using my lift.....lol....oh....I forgot to mention.....mine isn't a pep boys...lol

Mine is one of those Tim Allen Lifts......arrrgggghhhhhh   :cucumber:

Regards,

FXR2evo99

RedFXR2

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 08:33:03 AM »

ummmm I always am using my lift.....

I bought my lift for a single specific use--changing rear shocks.  I had to unweight the swingarm somehow to change them so I finally broke down and got a bike lift.  Since then, I've used it only occasionally (for primary gear oil changes mostly).

The last time I used it was about two months ago.  It came in handy lifting a receiver trailer hitch into place under the rear of my Land Bruiser and holding it there while I got the bolts started.  That hitch was kinda heavy.

And no, I didn't get the hitch from Pep Boys. ;D ;D

osseobob

• Best handling bike ever made!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »

I did some looking into some lifts and found that Sears had lots of complaints on their lifts, not wanting to spend too much on one I decided to go with one from a local automotive parts supplier "not Pep Boys" and it is a very nice jack but I also have an issue with the lowest height of the jack. I ended up having to roll the front tire of my bike onto a 2x10 board to give the frame some clearance. but for only 100 bucks I'll put up with it. I dont use it that much!

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 04:38:28 PM »

...I decided to go with one from a local automotive parts supplier "not Pep Boys" ....

What?  NOT Pep Boys?? :o :o :o

;D ;D ;D

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.