Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome front hub for FXR2  (Read 1946 times)

RedFXR2

Chrome front hub for FXR2
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:02:34 PM »

Only because Tim asked so nicely:

Michael....

You should also post under a different thread title and tell us all about your chrome front wheel with chromed hub and spokes that you put on your FXR2, I would enjoy seeing some photos...although I realize that it will be difficult to see the "chrome" aspect per say...but learning about part numbers and so forth is always interesting and whether you put sealed or unsealed bearings in etc.....and I am trying to remember if you did this in a 21" or 19" application?????

Regards,

Tim
"FXR2evo99"

I had always been bugged by the nice, but unfinished machined billet hub on my FXR2 because it was next to impossible to keep clean and polished.  And the crappy cadmium plated spokes were getting more and more dull and can't be polished.  After shopping wheel assemblies and educating myself (thanks to the guys at Billet Boys, mainly) I learned that the newer style sealed bearing type hubs wouldn't fit on my fork without replacing the lower legs with newer models--to fix a mis-alignment of the brake disc and caliper.

Liking the look of the front hub, just wanting it chromed, I set out to replicate my front wheel using upgraded materials.  I got a new HD front hub for a FXR2 (43610-87, $317, or $253.60 from Surdyke HD which is what I did), a set of stainless spokes and nipples from Landmark Manufacturing (LM2100-5A, $150.00) and a new 21" chrome front rim for a FXR2 (43662-80B, $145.00.  This can be had from a 20% off dealer but I was talking to my buddy Sam at the dealer parts counter and was in a good mood that day from all his help).  I removed the bearings and races and sent the hub off to a chromer down in Hialeah, Southern Plating Specialties for chroming ($130).

Got the hub back and had the wheel laced and a tire installed at a local indy shop (Turboz, Jupiter, FL.  I've lost the paperwork but I remember they charged me $100 for the assembly job) and then had the bearings installed and the whole thing mounted on the bike at another indy, the one I use mostly, (Performance Cycle, Tequesta, FL).

Maybe most people would never notice the difference but I do every time I look at it.  And I've seen the way those shiny stainless spokes wink in the sun as it's rolling--neat.

RedFXR2

Re: Chrome front hub for FXR2
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »

Mounted.  Hey, the chrome matches the fork legs. ;D

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »

So if I have my math right the "investment" of this chromed hub & wheel along with stainless steel nipples and spokes is approximately $825.00 after having it mounted and working on your FXR2.  Now that's what I call a commitment to being "specific" to an end result!  It's great looking....and when we find ourselves wanting something specific it's always wonderful when it comes out exactly as you had hoped.  Congrats....

Obviously with this "task" you are only limited by it's success in regards to the quality of the chromer one is able to locate for the hub as from your description all other parts used are prefabricated.  Did you also pick up "strength" with the "stainless" steel spokes or did you choose "stainless" steel because it doesn't loose it's shine????  I have heard others speak about "stainless" steel spokes but wasn't sure whether it had to do with "appearance" or some sort of "functional" quality perhaps dealing in part to an added "strength"?

Even in the photos you "captured" the chrome "element" quite well....giving us all a great view of what the "finished' product looks like.  I would like to see (if you have one) a full view photo of your bike with the "chromed" wheel....
By the way is this a 40 spoke wheel also?

Oh....and aren't I seeing your reflection in that photo of the hub?  8)  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
so very nice and shiney!!!!! 

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim
FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:57:51 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »

For the same money (nearly exactly what they quoted) I could have bought a pre-assembled chrome billet hub wheel from American Wire Wheel.  Nice unit but it wouldn't have fit due to the 2000 and up fitment of nearly everything they make.  Likewise for pre-built wheels from Landmark (where I got the spokes and nipples).  Billet Boys have a chrome billet hub that looks identical to the desired HD unit, but they were the ones that explained pretty much exactly why it wouldn't fit my forks as they were.  There are cheap ones on ebay but fitment is an issue there, as well, never mind quality questions.  Frankly some of those wheels are too cheap to be any good.  So yes, I went the long way around and it got expensive, but like you say, my goal was very specific.

The chromer I used does plating first in copper, then nickel, then chrome on top.  The final result was great but I had some communication and due date issues with them along the way.  Oh well, it all came out all right.

I don't know that stainless spokes are any stronger, I just know that they're shiny (polished from the factory) and they don't rust or tarnish.

It's the stock 40 spoke wheel pattern.

The front wheel and the side covers were two projects I had been kicking around for quite some time.  I finally pulled the trigger on both.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:26:04 AM »

I appreciate you taking the "moments" necessary to explain in detail how you got from point A to point B.  I really think that is part of the fun in owning our bikes....it's determining what it is we would like to accomplish and then setting about and doing it grasping each detail along the way either by asking questions or listening to advice. 

It's also very nice as well as exciting that everytime you pull your leg over your bike, you most likely take a peek at your front wheel and feel that sense of thouroughness and satisfaction that you wanted something specific and made it happen.  Not to mention also that it's a very "specific" end result that unless someone else "specifically" does what you have done it simply isn't available. 

Does the company you worked with that did the chroming offer a warranty on their work?  Just curious....you mentioned having "due" date issues....how long did it take to get it back from your "chromer"?

Here is another question, I haven't looked at these part numbers in my parts book but let see if I can make sense here, it seems you chose the following:

43662-80B  $145.00  21" chrome front rim

43610-87   $253.60  after 20% off discount    A new front hub

---------------------
               $398.60 
I am assuming the 43662-80B is simply a 21" chrome front rim without a hub correct?
I am assuming the 43610-87   is simply a new hub without a rim for a 21" wheel correct?

I am merely curious if you could have purchased a brand new 21" 40 spoke wheel inclusive of spokes for around $280.00 which is approximately what I paid for a 19" 40 spoke chromed wheel through HD which properly fits my FXR2 (inclusive of chrome spokes of course and "ugly" hub of course lol.....basically a complete wheel) and then simply taken it apart seperating the spokes and the hub from the chrome wheel.  Then added the stainless steel nipples and spokes you desired and then paid the $130.00 to have the hub chromed as you did.  When you factor the $150.00 for the nipples and spokes, $100.00 for assembly, plus $40.00 to install back on to your bike, the total might have been closer to $700.00.   

Perhaps there was a reason you went the seperate route for the wheel and hub individually?  I am assuming that to loosen spokes and remove them from a wheel is not that big of deal compared to properly "lacing" a wheel which is a huge deal.....a curious mind is simply curious and would love to know your logic on this one.....I feel I am missing something here and there is a reason you went the route you did....

Regards,

Tim
"FXR2evo99"

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »

it's a very "specific" end result that unless someone else "specifically" does what you have done it simply isn't available.

Right.  I've certainly never seen another one like mine.  And I've always wondered why the CVO didn't do this from the start. 

Does the company you worked with that did the chroming offer a warranty on their work?  Just curious....you mentioned having "due" date issues....how long did it take to get it back from your "chromer"?

They warrant their work for one year, but in the case of this hub, it would be at my expense to break the wheel down to the bare hub again.  When I called them before sending the hub down there, they said it would take about two weeks from arrival of the part and then shipping time back to me.  I figured that within 3 weeks I'd have it back.  Well, it took a little over 5 weeks, with seldom returned phone calls, "equipment problems", somebody's not here so we don't know anything about your part, that sort of thing.  They seem to have done a good job, but I'm not sure I'd use them again.

http://www.spschrome.com/index.asp

I am assuming the 43662-80B is simply a 21" chrome front rim without a hub correct?

Correct.  Bare rim, not includiing the rubber band that covers the inside against the nipples.

I am assuming the 43610-87  is simply a new hub without a rim for a 21" wheel correct?

Correct.  This hub is the part number for a FXR2 but it was also used on mid 90's FXLR's and maybe other pre-2000 bikes, I don't know.

I am merely curious if you could have purchased a brand new 21" 40 spoke wheel inclusive of spokes for around $280.00 which is approximately what I paid for a 19" 40 spoke chromed wheel through HD which properly fits my FXR2 (inclusive of chrome spokes of course and "ugly" hub of course lol.....basically a complete wheel) and then simply taken it apart seperating the spokes and the hub from the chrome wheel.  Then added the stainless steel nipples and spokes you desired and then paid the $130.00 to have the hub chromed as you did.  When you factor the $150.00 for the nipples and spokes, $100.00 for assembly, plus $40.00 to install back on to your bike, the total might have been closer to $700.00.

Sure, I could have done that, assuming the hub was the same --not sure that's possible--, but there would have been more labor on somebody's part to break the wheel down.  I considered using my old wheel along the same process you mention but then I would have had to have stored the bike without a front wheel for some time--a scary thought when my six-year old is chasing his basketball into the garage.  Plus, I wasn't sure my old hub would clean up as nicely as a new one.  In the end, I decided to go with all new parts for the sake of: 1-all new parts, and 2-a one step swap from old to new upon completion of the new wheel assembly.  Plus, I knew that when it was all done, that it would fit properly and be exactly what I wanted.  Was this the most cost effective way?  No, but what about owning a HD is cost-effective?  ;D 

I went through all sorts of considered scenarios of how to go about this.   At first I was all for a simple one-piece replacement from the aftermarket but then I discovered the issues and ended up doing what I did.  I didn't want to do it more than once and I didn't want to compromise on the goal. 

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.