Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rocker Box gasket problem  (Read 1553 times)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
Rocker Box gasket problem
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »

Yep, back again with another verse of the same song. Abby's FXR4 is sucking a small area of the upper rocker box gasket inside and then spraying oil out over the fender, frame, etc. I have replaced the gasket but with an after market gasket. Harley closed for the weekend so can't get Harley parts until Monday. This is the second time this has happened and we have already changed the top rocker box cover. There is a small area on the right front corner of the middle ring (in front of the false (empty) umbrella valve location) that does not have a trough with back side to hold the gasket in place. The gasket continues to be sucked into that area in front of the false (empty) umbrella valve hole. I may attempt to rough up the surface of the castings for the next and final try before purchasing new middle and upper rocker box parts. It is very strange that the excessive vibration we fought for so long reappeared at the same time the gasket failed. Could there be a connection between the suction of the gasket and engine vibration? Hey, at least these bikes are keeping me out of the bars. I seem to be working on one of them all of the time. Anyone have this happen to the gasket?????

Thanks,
Plasmaman

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
Re: Rocker Box gasket problem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »

Yep....my ride is giving me grief again. Thinking about buying whole new rocker box assembly. The one the mechanic put on ( original cover was warped) was after market. Also playing with the idea of an S&S engine.  Or just replacing the HD evo. Whatever!  However, we gotta find the demon. Am finding myself looking around the internet for another fxr,a 2,3,or4. I already have so much $$ invested in this one that I couldnt sell it without getting into Plasmaman's beer money in a serious way! Would take a SERIOUS hit.

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:16:52 PM »

Gasket problem fixed but did not affect the vibration. I used my TIG welder to make a "dam" across the part where none existed from the factory. Then used very small tool and die grinder to shape the proper trough which will now not allow the gasket to be sucked into the rocker box. Maybe this fix is not in the Harley handbook but it worked. Wish I were smart enough to find the vibration. Still think the crankshaft is the culprit. Will ride a few more miles and see what happens.

Plasmaman

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »

Sounds like your craft ability fixed the problem, which is always good.  When I had my rocker boxes apart, i don't remember noticing any gap in the trough as you describe, and I *think* I would have.  I certainly handled them enough for cleaning, and installing the "Cure Vent Plus" kit at the same time.  I know I've never had the gasket move totally out of position like yours.  When my top plates were warped and leaking, i could move the center ring out of position with my fingers--I knew that couldn't be right.

This vibration thing is downright strange. I wish I had the anser but I'm pretty much stumped.  I guess I'd recommend starting over at the simplest and going through all the possibilities as though you hadn't already, and see if you notice something you didn't before.

It'd make me think of heading for the bar, that's for sure.

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 08:30:22 PM »

Yea, no more oil spraying over the fender, neighbors, and such. No leaks, not marking territory. The vibration..... we have started carrying cream so have butter when we get back. No use wasting this wonderful vibration. Most of the ladies want to ride with me.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.