Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good w/sheild for the FXR3  (Read 1534 times)

Flylearn1

Good w/sheild for the FXR3
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »

Just got my 99 FXR3, thanks to help from RedFXR2. Now I need to make it comfortable, but have some questions.

Who knows of a good windshield and maybe even some cool lowers that really block some wind. I just rode tonight for 1 hour hwy and got my ears blasted since I wear a no-ear-covering helmet. I don't even know if lowers could look good on the 3, but I have to do something. Maybe I have to wear a better helmet. I hate full-face helmets because I feel like I am in a box and don't pay as much attention. Any ideas?  Thanks, Doug

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Good w/sheild for the FXR3
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »

Just got my 99 FXR3, thanks to help from RedFXR2. Now I need to make it comfortable, but have some questions.

Who knows of a good windshield and maybe even some cool lowers that really block some wind. I just rode tonight for 1 hour hwy and got my ears blasted since I wear a no-ear-covering helmet. I don't even know if lowers could look good on the 3, but I have to do something. Maybe I have to wear a better helmet. I hate full-face helmets because I feel like I am in a box and don't pay as much attention. Any ideas?  Thanks, Doug

Cool Doug!!! Best of luck with it! Blue or Green? Hope you join us in our FXR exploits here! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »

Doug,

Welcome to the site!

I wear a skid lid as well which KILLS my ears.  On longer rides especialy at high way speeds I use ear plugs that are attached with a string to each other.  It is a great help.  I can still hear the road noise enough to stay safe and they only costs a couple of bucks! 

FXR3Joe

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »

There are a bunch of windshelds out there for narrow glide forks.  My FXR2 came with a HD windshield (circa 1999 so I don't know the part number) that mounts to the upper fork tubes via rubber grommet type heads.  I only use it on longer trips, though.  I'd say start surfing the internet and paper catalogs and HD themselves.  I've never seen lowers for these bikes but who knows--they may be out there.

About helmets, I had the same feeling about full-face models until I got one.  I bought a Nolan N102 flip front type.  It took a couple of rides to get used to it but now I like it.

omgtkk

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »

Doug,  There are a lot of windshield options out there for narrow glide front ends.  Memphis shades makes their Fats and Slims lines, along with their Sportshields.  They are securely mounted to the upper parts of the fork tubes.  National Cycle and Rifle also make a similar product.  All the manufacturers make windshields that mount to the handlebars, but I would tell you to be wary of shields that only have a 2-point mounting system.  They tend to flutter around alot.
I ordered a Memphis Shades Rio Grand for my FXR2.  Should be here early next week.  I'll let you know how it works and will post pics if you like.
Good luck with the "new" bike.       

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »

Check out Windvest products...very well made, and they look good too, with recurve on the lip.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 09:14:23 PM »

I'll second that on the the windvest products!  Very well made!  dave

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »

Third on the Windvest, with a pic of one on my 4

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.