Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can anyone give me a pic of their shift linkage on an FXR2  (Read 1453 times)

omgtkk

Can anyone give me a pic of their shift linkage on an FXR2
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »

I told you all I would be asking a lot of questions on this board.  Anyhow, I'm trying to remove the aftermarket forward controls on my FXR2 and put the mid controls back on.  I'm having a problem with the shifter linkage.  I picked up what was advertised as an FRX linkage.  It's about 4 1/2" long at it's shortest adjustment.  No way  this baby is going to fit without rubbing on the engine case.  I can't adjust the tranny lever any further back as it can't come fully off without removing the inner primary.  I just want to see how things are supposed to look so I can see what direction I need to take.  The pic in the service manual shows a bike with forward controls and a long shifter linkage.
Thanks

omgtkk

Re: Can anyone give me a pic of their shift linkage on an FXR2
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »

Got it.  I looked on Ebay at some pics of FXR's and saw what I needed.  I had to cut some length off the threaded portion that went through the  inner shift lever to allow it to clear the engine case.  Hopefully the rain will stop tomorrow and I can take it out for a shakedown run.  Glad to have the mid's back on.  All I need now is a set of proper mirrors and she'll be back to factory stock, other than the Screamin Eagle slip-ons.  And they ain't going away.

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 05:47:29 PM »

I just measured one and it's 3 5/8 long ctr. to ctr.

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »

I had to cut some length off the threaded portion that went through the  inner shift lever to allow it to clear the engine case. 

I got a chrome one from Drag Specialties a while back and had to trim the threads just like you.

elvislee

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »

I told you all I would be asking a lot of questions on this board.  Anyhow, I'm trying to remove the aftermarket forward controls on my FXR2 and put the mid controls back on.   I'm having a problem with the shifter linkage.  I picked up what was advertised as an FRX linkage.  It's about 4 1/2" long at it's shortest adjustment.  No way  this baby is going to fit without rubbing on the engine case.  I can't adjust the tranny lever any further back as it can't come fully off without removing the inner primary.  I just want to see how things are supposed to look so I can see what direction I need to take.  The pic in the service manual shows a bike with forward controls and a long shifter linkage.
Thanks

I want to take a moment here to thank Kenny (omgtkk). After reading this post I sent Kenny a PM asking if he wanted to sell the Forward Controls he pulled off his new bike. Kenny sold them to me at what I think was a super price for kurakyn's. The transaction went smooth and most important; Kenny was straight up as to the condition of the controls. Thanks Kenny for this deal and as I told you in my prior e-mail...If ever I can help ya..you know how to contact me....BTW...Got the shifter side mounted and was getting ready to mount the brake side but decided to hold off until Monday. I didn't want to get in there and run into any problems. Me and my grandson are gonna ride to the U.S.S Alabama Parkway tomorrow and I sure would have hated to have not been able to ride with him because I ran into a problem...So as I said; Monday they will be completed.......Best to ya Kenny  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.