Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Original paint??  (Read 2722 times)

irk

Original paint??
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:53:58 AM »

I could use a bit of help here. About to buy a bike and narrowed it down to a '98 FXDL or a '99 FXR3. While the FXDL has fewer miles (13k versus 18k on the FXR3) and has more addons (saddlebags, windshield, stainless cables, etc) I'm still leaning towards the FXR3 since the asking price for each bike is the same.

Unfortunately I've got to drive 4 hours, in opposite directions of course, to see either bike. Comparing the FXR3 for sale photos against all the great pictures I've seen on this site, I'm wondering if it has the original paint. The flames appear slightly different and I can't make out the Harley logo towards the front of the tank. Any thoughts?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Original paint??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »

The graphics from what you've shown, do not appear to be correct. I think the graphics are the same for all FXR3's, Blue or Green. This is my FXR3 in Blue to compare to. If it's represented as original, and it's not, I'd stay away from it. Good luck and welcome to this great site! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »

My statement would be no, this is not the original paint on the FXR3 you show above.  See my  attached photo from elsewhere in the FXR2/3/4 pages here:

These are clearly different from the flames on your photo and show the pattern to be the same on the green bikes and the blue bikes, the difference being color.  Yor flames are longer and not as interlocked, and as you say the HD logo in yours seems to be missing or not clear.

So I'd say the bike you're considering has been re-painted, or perhaps is not a "real" FXR3.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »

My statement would be no, this is not the original paint on the FXR3 you show above.  See my  attached photo from elsewhere in the FXR2/3/4 pages here:

These are clearly different from the flames on your photo and show the pattern to be the same on the green bikes and the blue bikes, the difference being color.  Yor flames are longer and not as interlocked, and as you say the HD logo in yours seems to be missing or not clear.

So I'd say the bike you're considering has been re-painted, or perhaps is not a "real" FXR3.

It might have been an FXR3. What's the title show for year? The FXR2/3 were the only FXR's made in '99. If it's a real '99, it musta been repainted for some reason. Accident? Be careful! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

irk

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »

Well.....crap.

I really was hoping someone would indicate that there were different paint schemes within the FXR3 greens.... Something that would have made me less doubtful on that bike. I was told by the person selling it (2nd owner) that it was the original paint so there's a red flag.

As much as I'd like to end up with FXR3, I'll probably lean back towards the FXDL. Regardless, I've enjoyed reading the many posts/information on this site and really appreciate the quick replies to my post.

You have a great online community. Thanks again for the help!

zn14

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:24:11 PM »

My wife had a '96 FXDL, nice bike.  She now has a '99 FXR3, Great bike.  No comparison in handling and comfort. 
I would hold out and find a nice FXR 2,3 or 4.  You'll be alot happier in the long run.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:56:06 PM »

My wife had a '96 FXDL, nice bike.  She now has a '99 FXR3, Great bike.  No comparison in handling and comfort. 
I would hold out and find a nice FXR 2,3 or 4.  You'll be alot happier in the long run.

Listen to the lurker.  Nice, correct, low-mileage, FXR3s are out there.  But for sure, stay away from this one.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »

Welcome aboard zn! What color is your wife's bike. There are only 64 Blue ones, and we're trying to locate as many of them as possible. We have a registry with about 1/3 of them accounted for. Thanks man, and enjoy this great site!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

zn14

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »

it's green, got it 4 or 5 years ago, fantastic bike,  very superior to the FXDL she had.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »

it's green, got it 4 or 5 years ago, fantastic bike,  very superior to the FXDL she had.

Fully agree zn! I had a '94 Dyna Convertible. But my Blue3 is miles above that Dyna!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

irk

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 07:46:55 PM »

I was still considering (foolishly, I must admit) this bike. I just wanted to know why it had been painted... After indicating that I was sure it wasn't the original paint, the seller reassured me that it was and said they would send me the spec. sheet/brochure that showed it was original paint. I've attached a zoomed in pic of what I was sent.  >:(

Perhaps the seller didn't alter that image and they were fooled when they bought the bike from the original owner. I don't know if that is the case and I don't care. Walking away from it as some of the fine people here suggested earlier.

The VIN number provided to me does show it as an FXR3 on Harley's maintenance site but I'm not in the mood to deal with someone that is possibly going out of their way to be deceitful. If any of you are interested in this bike you can find it on craigslist for Oklahoma City ($8,000).

Again, thanks for the advice. Just wish I'd heeded it sooner!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »

LOL.  That is the correct flame pattern in the photo, but it is clearly different than what is on the bike now.  And, it's pretty obvious where the photo was retouched to remove the bar and shield.

Sad that a fellow biker could be so deceitful and misrepresent the bike so blatantly.  Good luck finding another if that's what you decide to do . . . really shouldn't be that difficult.

elvislee

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:36:14 PM »

I was still considering (foolishly, I must admit) this bike. I just wanted to know why it had been painted... After indicating that I was sure it wasn't the original paint, the seller reassured me that it was and said they would send me the spec. sheet/brochure that showed it was original paint. I've attached a zoomed in pic of what I was sent.  >:(

Perhaps the seller didn't alter that image and they were fooled when they bought the bike from the original owner. I don't know if that is the case and I don't care. Walking away from it as some of the fine people here suggested earlier.

The VIN number provided to me does show it as an FXR3 on Harley's maintenance site but I'm not in the mood to deal with someone that is possibly going out of their way to be deceitful. If any of you are interested in this bike you can find it on craigslist for Oklahoma City ($8,000).

Again, thanks for the advice. Just wish I'd heeded it sooner!

irk...Go to the home page and go to 3rd Party For Sale...There's a 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red For Sale on e-bay if your interested...Best to ya.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »

You can tell it's a scam by the price. If it were a real one, it would have been gone in a flash at that price! An FXR3 would go for min 10 grand. Prolly 2-3 more for a nice one! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.