Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: That One Killer EVO Mod...  (Read 10063 times)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
That One Killer EVO Mod...
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:53:04 PM »

So, fellow FXR riders, we have the last of the EVO's.

Our bikes are maybe a "little bit" lighter than some, and (IMO) better than most of the bikes HD is building today, but nonetheless we are competing in a world of 88's, 103's, etc.

If there was only one modification you could do to improve the performance of your EVO, what would it be?
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: That One Killer EVO Mod...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »

after 15 years of riding my FXRS, I am now dropping a S&S 124 in it.

You may ask "why are you doing that" - the answer - because I can and I want to!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 07:16:17 PM »

The basic rule of Evo mods was always Cam, Carb, Ignition and exhaust. The FXR is timeless. An 84 looks as nice as a 99 in my opinion. The perfect FXR to me is a stock FXR2,3 with Crane Hi-4 ignition, SE-57 cam,S & S Super E shorty and a set of Python II staggered duals Everything else about those bikes will look as cool in 30 years as the day they were made and that combination will never leave you too far behind and always get you home.

FXR's forever

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 07:17:55 PM »

S'cuse me I left out the FXR4

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 07:33:58 PM »

The basic rule of Evo mods was always Cam, Carb, Ignition and exhaust. The FXR is timeless. An 84 looks as nice as a 99 in my opinion. The perfect FXR to me is a stock FXR2,3 with Crane Hi-4 ignition, SE-57 cam,S & S Super E shorty and a set of Python II staggered duals Everything else about those bikes will look as cool in 30 years as the day they were made and that combination will never leave you too far behind and always get you home.

FXR's forever
Boy, you know Spiderman, you hit the nail on the head there.  What a perfect sport bike/bar hopper/ run around local cruiser that makes.  I want one.  har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 10:26:05 AM »

The basic rule of Evo mods was always Cam, Carb, Ignition and exhaust.

What he said.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »

RE: "The perfect FXR to me is a stock FXR2,3 with Crane Hi-4 ignition, SE-57 cam,S & S Super E shorty"

Why Super E vice Super G?
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:13:13 PM »

[highlight]Why Super E vice Super G?[/highlight]

IMO that's too much carb for an Evo  Actually, if you take a stock CV carburetor and send it off to one of those shops that rework CV carbs, they are excellent, I got an old club bro that's runnin a HiPo Twin Cam and he's got a reworked CV carb, but you know talkin carbs is like talkin women, everyone has their preference. I had a 96" Evo with a big ass Del'orto on it, Dave Mackey heads and a snot nasty Lienweber cam - - - - it ran great - - - - - - - at anything over 2,500 RPM's  Not exactly fun in Laughlin traffic. That's why I tend to preach the milder mods, good for 90% of what most people look for in a daily rider. You want that other 10%, you're gonna pay for it in rideability, longevity, or somehow. IMO  

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 09:39:31 PM »

[highlight]Why Super E vice Super G?[/highlight]

Actually, if you take a stock CV carburetor and send it off to one of those shops that rework CV carbs, they are excellent, I got an old club bro that's runnin a HiPo Twin Cam and he's got a reworked CV carb, but you know talkin carbs is like talkin women, everyone has their preference....That's why I tend to preach the milder mods, good for 90% of what most people look for in a daily rider.

Right again, Spiderman.  When I was doing my motor makeover last Fall, the local shop talked me out of dropping another $500 or so on a Mikuni.  The guys told me, like he said above, for most folks, and most street mods, a CV can be made to perform just fine.  They re-jetted my CV and I'm happy--runs great.

Now the guy that owns that shop has a 1994 FXLR with a massaged TP 107" motor.  He's running a Mikuni on it because it's a genuine Hot Rod bike, once clocked at 137 mph with throttle travel left to go and him laying on the tank.  I won't be doing that, thanks. [smiley=nervous.gif]

CWBork44

• Candy Tangerine FXR4 as of 10/15/2013 :)

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
    • Caveman Radio
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 05:12:45 PM »

FXR's forever

It all depends on how long you want to live...

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 10:47:27 PM »

Can't forget those 4's

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »

Can't forget those 4's

I sure do miss mine (had since '00, sold earlier this year).  One of these days I'll put together a list of my take-off parts that got left behind.  Offhand, I know I have the original pipes, mid controls, original bars and small sissy bar.

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »

Is it OK to hang out with you FXR-2-3-4 people?.....Secret password?...handshake?...badges?....BADges!, we don't need no stinkin' BADges!!! :2vrolijk_21:
On the 'older FXR1' bikes with the 3.37 gearing, a 34 tooth trans. sprocket gives your scoot some stretch.  Nice if you have bigger power.
Also a brake upgrade is worth considering, Dual floating fronts, with steel lines, high end pads. 
The Evo is an easy hop-up without compromising reliablity, covered nicely by many posters here.
These are fun bikes to ride.....enjoy them.   ;D
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 11:46:01 PM »

Is it OK to hang out with you FXR-2-3-4 people?.....Secret password?...handshake?...badges?....BADges!, we don't need no stinkin' BADges!!! :2vrolijk_21:
On the 'older FXR1' bikes with the 3.37 gearing, a 34 tooth trans. sprocket gives your scoot some stretch.  Nice if you have bigger power.
Also a brake upgrade is worth considering, Dual floating fronts, with steel lines, high end pads. 
The Evo is an easy hop-up without compromising reliablity, covered nicely by many posters here.

HeHe!!! Us CVO FXR guys don't care at all whether your FXR's are CVO's or not lucille! We know how special the bikes are more than most, and appreciate all of em! Did my brakes over, and just Stage 2 on the motor with an EV27 cam. Don't mind the stock gearing right now with this lil baby motor in her. I have a few other faster bikes if that's what I want. But none of my street bikes ride finer than my BLUE3! Bike runs awesome!!! ;)

Hope to see you at our FXR GTG too next June in the Smokies!!! The link for it's in my signature! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:55:20 AM »

Wouldn't worry about it..they talk to me! LOL
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.