Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Light stays on Hi beam knocks out thermal C.B.  (Read 1215 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Light stays on Hi beam knocks out thermal C.B.
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »

Hi,
 I have a stock wattage 55 watt H4 headlight bulb. The high beam light on riser shows high beam all the time no matter what position the switch is in. Headlight don't work, guess  the Circuit breaker get hot and goes bad. I don't think there is a relay involved. Any ideas? Anybody?
Thanks,
Lynn

fxr1234

Re: Light stays on Hi beam knocks out thermal C.B.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:20:48 AM »

I think what is happening is that there is a wire or wire switch connection spot that is bare wire and touching any metal frame or handle bar part. usually happens in handle bar switch [its a tight fit between handle bar switch connection and bar . this ground will case excessive current flow and trip  out thermal C.B [disconnect head light high beam switch from handle bar , zap strap it dangling from bar ,  ware rubber gloves  and look at switch, operate switch , observe results , if no conclusion can be obtained then get a factory manual and look at wiring diagram for head light circuit after breakfast on the back porch and during coffee. study it for 3 cups of coffee . you are now ready to trace the circuit on your bike and use a multimeter to test for grounds by opening the circuit  some where and testing the open connection  part coming from the positive side of the electrical flow through the meter set on ohms or my favorite the audible setting that goes beep and the other meter lead going to a nice shiny bolt that is screwed into the frame or bare metal . this message came from Canada Nanaimo B.C
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:29:44 AM by fxr1234 »
If you can't let go of the bars and steer it with your knees vibration free,  then u got issues .

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.