Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: What was your first motorcycle and the circumstances behind it?  (Read 45018 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography

We all remember our first bike.  For most of us, it's what started us down our path to motorcycling, and we'll always have a soft place in our hearts about that first one.

So what was your first bike, how did you come by it, and what are your best memories of it?

My first bike was a used 1972 Suzuki Gaucho 50cc dirt bike, in orange.  I paid something like $275 cash out of my own pocket from paper route money I'd saved up for 2 years.  I loved that little orange bike and have truly wonderful memories of my times on it.  The pic below is a factory pic, but that's the model I had!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: What was your first motorcycle and the circumstances behind it?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 11:32:26 PM »

Closest I could find is a 175cc.
Mine was a Kawasaki 100cc. Cost me, well cost my Dad $100 after my Mum convinced him to get it.
I come across the bike after a school mate told me he had a bike for sale, it was sold before I saw it. That was a good 38 years ago.
Once I was behind those handle bars there was no turning back.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »

No pictures, but the first one was a 50cc Suzuki and then went to a Yamaha RM125 and have been riding ever since.

Life was a lot simpler then and riding was pure joy. I can remember spending every spare moment on those bikes.

I still love riding today, alone in the wind with my wife, life doesn't get any better.

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:11:20 AM »

My first bike was the Top Gun bike. 1984 GPZ 900 also known as a ninja ZX900. Bought it used my senior year of high school for $900. My folks were less than impressed when I rolled into the yard on that bike. Almost had to find a new place to live!!! Probably had more to do with that I didn't have a motorcycle license than actually buying the bike. Took my test on this thing 2 weeks later and never looked back.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:58:21 AM »

My first ride when I was 15... Bought with money from my first job... Delivered newspaper on a bicycle all afternoon to be able to ride later... Awesome times...

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:34:04 AM by dooinit2u »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 08:12:24 AM »

I have a picture (stock) I will load up later. My first motorcycle was a Yamaha 250. It was part off road and part street. The year was 77 and I was about 19 (hard to remember all this now).  I was in the USMC and a friend and I struck a deal.  I would ride to the base with him on his bike (Suzuki 750) on nice days and he would ride in my car on other days.  The first day he said if you get hooked on riding don't blame me. I laughed.  The day was pretty but cool and I had no idea about clothes etc. He told me what to do and to lean with him etc.   He did all the things you would do to keep people from riding. We went fast and through turns like a bat out of hades.  Two weeks later I bought the 250 and rode it everywhere.  I have ridden since and just love riding. 

I finally remembered to upload the picture.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:48:47 AM by RonandJanet »

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:23:49 AM »

Too old to remember my 1st, but my son's first was a 50cc Suzuki Trail Hopper. My first Harley ride was on my Uncle's brand new '49 Duo-Glide(or sumtin like that). I was 2 and can remember it!!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »

The first bike I actually owned was a Honda CB350. Not certain on dates but I think it was circa 1972. I don’t recall the year of the bike either. I paid $250 for it if memory serves. It sure did start me off on a motorcycle trend that so far hasn’t ended. The image is from the web, but this is what it looked like. This bike was sold and quickly followed up with acquisition of a 1969 BSA Thunderbolt, then an early ‘70’s Norton Commando 750 in yellow. I don’t have photographs of any of these bikes that I’m aware of through years of changes and moving around…

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »

I've been riding since I was a younger man.... ::) but the first motorcycle that was actually mine?  Suzuki GS450L.  Bought it on a Friday, totaled the following Saturday (long story).  Bought it back a year later from my future brother in law after his rebuild.  Rode it for 6 months and moved on to greener? pastures....
1981 and this color, too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:48:01 AM by Haird »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:30:35 AM »

1962 BSA A65 500cc. Paid $230.00 for it in 1964.  Bought it from a University of Dayton senior that said motor was bad. Rode it over to my friends, it had a terrible tick. Tore it down, split the cases and all I could find was a nick in one pushrod .  Filed it smooth and reassembled the motor. In the meantime painted it a deep dark blue with rattle cans. Baked the paint in my buddies mothers oven. Sure upset her.
Had a tendency to blow head gaskets.  After about the 3rd one I was at the local dealer one day getting another head gasket when a older man asked why are going through so many in such a short time. I told him if I knew I wouldn't need another. He told me to go buy a can of silver spray paint and generously coat both sides and let drybefore assembling and I would never have another problem. I thought what the heck can't hurt. Did it and never blew another head gasket. Sold it in 1968 for $550.00 to put towards my 1969 Triumph Daytona that was $1,134.00 tax and title. My how prices have changed.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 10:45:07 AM »

My first motorized 2 wheeler was a Cyclops mini bike that I got for Christmas in 1969. Briggs and Stratton 3 HP was enough at the time but soon left me wanting for more. A few years later I bought my first real motorcycle, a Yamaha 125 dirt bike from one of my friends for $200. His parents were pissed because he sold it to buy headers for his car, mine were pissed  because I bought it. Against the stern admonitions of my parents not to race or ride fast I would sneak off and enter some open motocross events, eventually won a few then was offered a sponsorship by one of the local dealers. Explaining how that came about was tricky and received with much skepticism by my parents. Stayed on the race circuit for 6 years until I finally got hurt bad enough to give up motocross but I did enduros and hare scrambles for many more years, last one was in my mid 30's. My transition over to street bikes started with a Triumph 650 when I was in college, loved and hated that bike, loved it when gas went all the way up to $1/gallon but eventually the hate won after it left me stranded on the side of the road too many times so I sold it. Missed a few years along the way with no bike but usually have had at least one and enjoyed them for most of my life. Lately I have been thinking about selling my bikes and minimizing risks in my life but I doubt I will, if I do it probably would not be long before I would have another.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »

I'm smiling this morning as I'm reading all these memories! 

These are all great stories and pictures guys!

Let's keep this thread going!!!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »

1984 Honda Nighthawk
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

110Mofo

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »

1964 YAMAHA YG1 TRAILMASTER 80cc

I think it was my 12th birthday when i got my first bike, it was a long time ago  :D

I don't have a pic of my actual bike.

"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:10:37 PM »

I have a picture (stock) I will load up later. My first motorcycle was a Yamaha 250. It was part off road and part street. The year was 77 and I was about 19 (hard to remember all this now).  I was in the USMC and a friend and I struck a deal.  I would ride to the base with him on his bike (Suzuki 750) on nice days and he would ride in my car on other days.  The first day he said if you get hooked on riding don't blame me. I laughed.  The day was pretty but cool and I had no idea about clothes etc. He told me what to do and to lean with him etc.   He did all the things you would do to keep people from riding. We went fast and through turns like a bat out of hades.  Two weeks later I bought the 250 and rode it everywhere.  I have ridden since and just love riding.

My third bike was a green DT3 250 like the one you are describing. My first a Honda CT 70. My brother and I rode the absolute chit outta that thing. Ugly as all get out but we learn to love them at Daytona rentals on the beach.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.