Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: Bitubo Shock Upgrade  (Read 89490 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Bitubo Shock Upgrade
« Reply #345 on: April 19, 2008, 01:02:30 AM »

Vanamal;

Van,

You said you are 290 pounds and got the 300mm shocks, any problem going with the shorter shocks? Ride only solo?

I got the 330's and am having my doubts now about the length.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #346 on: April 19, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »

Vanamal;

Van,

You said you are 290 pounds and got the 300mm shocks, any problem going with the shorter shocks? Ride only solo?

I got the 330's and am having my doubts now about the length.

In what way are you concerned Duane?  Is the inch longer than stock on the SEEG making it a problem getting flat feet to the ground at stops?

I lucked out a bit as I gained the height incrementally but when it was all done it's preferred over the stock lowered position.  The AK-20s in the front were done to stock height because I forgot to tell them the SEEGs were lowered.  It was the first one they did and didn't know any better.  Since I had 12.5" Progressives on the rear from about day one I really didn't care either.  Then later did the Bitubos at 330" so it's jacked up to normal front and rear.  With the Corbin seat's rider position I fortunately fit fine.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #347 on: April 19, 2008, 02:31:15 AM »

In what way are you concerned Duane?  Is the inch longer than stock on the SEEG making it a problem getting flat feet to the ground at stops?

I lucked out a bit as I gained the height incrementally but when it was all done it's preferred over the stock lowered position.  The AK-20s in the front were done to stock height because I forgot to tell them the SEEGs were lowered.  It was the first one they did and didn't know any better.  Since I had 12.5" Progressives on the rear from about day one I really didn't care either.  Then later did the Bitubos at 330" so it's jacked up to normal front and rear.  With the Corbin seat's rider position I fortunately fit fine.

I'll go into some detail in the morning, have to get some sleep before work  ;D

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #348 on: April 19, 2008, 12:34:08 PM »

I lucked out a bit as I gained the height incrementally but when it was all done its preferred over the stock lowered position.  The AK-20s in the front were done to stock height because I forgot to tell them the SEEGs were lowered.  It was the first one they did and didn't know any better.  Since I had 12.5" Progressives on the rear from about day one I really didn't care either.  Then later did the Bitubos at 330" so it's jacked up to normal front and rear.  With the Corbin seat's rider position I fortunately fit fine.

The 1st thing you notice it the slightly increased effort picking it up off the kickstand.

The 2nd thing you notice is the greatly increased effort getting the bike off the stand with the tourpak on and loaded and your wife sitting on the back.

My feet are still flat, but not by much. You really get used to the lowered bike after 3 years.

I also have a Corbin, but when mine was built it had an extra inch of foam put in, so you have the difference in riding position plus the extra foam, and my seat is a RK seat, not cut for the SEEG.

I think the longer forks  actually look better; I always kind of thought the lowered front end made the tire look like it was “stuffed” in the fender.

MV 2013

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #349 on: September 23, 2012, 02:48:45 AM »

Going for 300mm Bitubos on my 2011 Street Glide.

If I were to get the AK-20's in the front, what height would they be set up for?

Is a stock Street Glide front end the same height as other HD Touring bikes, or is it lowered?

Thanks

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #350 on: May 21, 2013, 01:30:48 AM »

Unbolt the top hanger bolt and rotate the knuckle 180 degrees and bolt it back up. There's nothing to keep you from spinning the end to get the reference numbers facing outward.

:indian_chief:

Chief-I have my new Bitubos in my hand, and I'm not quite sure how to rotate the knuckle 180*. Definitely too hard to turn with my hands. Any suggestions?

Thanks

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #351 on: June 21, 2013, 12:55:17 AM »

There is also one other fitment issue I failed to mention earlier, and that is the top mount runs into the front docking point hardware. The front grommet is relieved to go around the shock mount, but the washer and bolt flange hits the larger-than-stock shock mount. You can kind of see it in the following pic.

Since the base material is aluminum, a little bit of work with a file will fix that. Since I don't own these shocks, I didn't want to grind on them, so I relieved the washer a bit. It helped, but there is still some contact.

I just installed Bitubos on my 2011 FLHX.

Canister down/facing forward, per Traxxion Dynamics instructions.

The shocks clear the saddlebag OK, but now I can't put the HD sissy bar/passenger backrest on the 4-point docking station.

The bottom 'forks' of the sissy bar/passenger backrest hits the top of the Bitubo shocks, which then does not allow the sissy bar locking cams to click onto their respective docking points (it's not even close, Folks).

It looks like I could possibly grind the bottom 'forks' of the sissy bar to clear the top of the shock, but I hate to start hacking away at an expensive HD accessory if there are other alternatives.

Suggestions?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:57:44 AM by DrSpencer »

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #352 on: June 21, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »

Space the shock outward with a washer top and bottom.  :nixweiss:

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #353 on: June 21, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »

Space the shock outward with a washer top and bottom.  :nixweiss:

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

Unfortunately, that won't help.

The fork is lacking vertical space, not lateral space.

Thanks

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2013, 12:40:55 AM »

Update: Using a Dremel, I shaved ~1/8" off the the lower 'fork' of the HD sissy bar. Everything regarding the HD 4-point docking system now fits nicely with respect to this method of Bitubo shock installation. This is definitely not an obstacle for anyone considering Bitubos for their Touring bike.

I put ~500 miles on the Bitubos, and am completely satisfied. I was previously using HD premiums, and the Bitubos are noticeably better in every respect.

I'm also using Traxxion Dynamics AK-20's up front, and could not be happier with this bike as it is.

Thanks
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.