Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Michelins for 2008!  (Read 10154 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Michelins for 2008!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »

Brain, I am really interested in follow up reports, as you put more miles on.

The article keeps referrng to cruisers but doesn't mention anything about baggers.  So far, it all sounds interesting but I'd like to hear the report of how they do when the tread pattern is worn and you're on the last 1/3 of usable tread and how many miles total that you get on a bagger. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 10:06:22 PM »

Was going to change out the roadking from Dunlops to Metzlers, but now I am seriously considering going to the Michelins.   Anyone have feedback to how they handle / grip at high speed (meaning 85 plus) Florida roads near me are notorius for rain grooves in the cement highways and the dunlops wobble the front end all over the place and don't track for crap.   The Metzlers do a really good job with his, but if the Michelins ride and handle as well as they perform on my cars / truck they should be a welcome upgrade to the bike.

Any feedback appreciated (Brian or WVultra)?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 10:31:03 PM »

Was going to change out the roadking from Dunlops to Metzlers, but now I am seriously considering going to the Michelins.   Anyone have feedback to how they handle / grip at high speed (meaning 85 plus) Florida roads near me are notorius for rain grooves in the cement highways and the dunlops wobble the front end all over the place and don't track for crap.   The Metzlers do a really good job with his, but if the Michelins ride and handle as well as they perform on my cars / truck they should be a welcome upgrade to the bike.

You mean like all the way from Hot Springs back to Memphis? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:  They did great!  Stuck like a slot car on the sweeping curves on that four-lane headed out of town, too.  Not sure about the rain grooves since we don't have too many of those around here, but if it's time for tires, I'd give these a serious look.

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 09:20:30 AM »

Harry:

A month ago I did get some serious high speed time on I-40/I-81, a couple hundred miles through the Smoky Mountains, and an aggressive ride across the Dragon's Tail; and these Commanders exceeded all my expectations!  Don't know if it's the tires, the dyna beads, or more realistically a combination of both; but this was the smoothest ride I've ever experienced on a Touring bike!  Was running 80+ on the Interstate, two-up with bags and tour pak loaded, and I kept thinking:  man, this thing is smooth!

The real kicker for me was that trip across the Dragon!  Was pushing the Ultra as hard as traffic and conditions would allow, and as I've said before it was like riding on a rail.  IMO, these Commanders can easily exceed the capabilities of an Ultra.

Since I've never ran a set of Metzlers on a Touring rig, can't really offer a good comparison.  And I still don't know how the Commanders will do with regards to wet weather handling and treadlife.  But my gut feeling is I'll be totally satisfied once they've run their lifespan.

One tip I picked up from a trusted tech was these Michelins like plenty of air pressure. Was recommended to run 40 psi Front and 42-44 psi Rear.  That was the pressures I ran on the above trip, and IMO was right on the money!   

A little over 1,000 miles at this time; and very satisfied with these new tires!

:2vrolijk_21:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

NH Charlie

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »

My Dunlops have only lasted me 7 to 8k on my rears on my 07 SE
Is this the norm for everyone.
I do not beat on this bike.
Charlie

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 07:19:27 PM »

No Charlie......the new Dunlops are giving the guys I ride with consistantly 12K or better.  If you're not spinning or sliding the rubber off, my guess is you're not running enough air.  Gotta run more than the owners manual says according to the Dunlop reps.  They handle better in addition to lasting longer.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 09:50:07 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedback
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

RetiredOF

• Senior CVO Member
  • Coming soon to a location near you!
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »

No Charlie......the new Dunlops are giving the guys I ride with consistantly 12K or better.  If you're not spinning or sliding the rubber off, my guess is you're not running enough air.  Gotta run more than the owners manual says according to the Dunlop reps.  They handle better in addition to lasting longer.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder

Spyder,

Did the reps have a suggested pressure?  I normally run 40/42.

ROF
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:38:27 PM by RetiredOF »
Member 3063

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »

Spyder,

Did the reps have a suggested pressure?  I normally run 40/42.

ROF
Sorry I don't remember exactly, but that is probably more than enough even 'loaded'.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RetiredOF

• Senior CVO Member
  • Coming soon to a location near you!
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »

Sorry I don't remember exactly, but that is probably more than enough even 'loaded'.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder

Thanks!
Member 3063

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 06:23:36 AM »

I've had one concern with Michelin tires. How many times have you been on the road and have to pick up a rear tire? Every dealer carries the Dunlops. How many dealers are carrying the Michelins? There's no way I'd have a front radial and a rear bias-ply tire. Do you guys think that would be a problem?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 08:01:10 AM »

I thought someone said they were not truly radials.   :nixweiss: :-\ spyder

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 06:32:47 PM »

I've had one concern with Michelin tires. How many times have you been on the road and have to pick up a rear tire? Every dealer carries the Dunlops. How many dealers are carrying the Michelins? There's no way I'd have a front radial and a rear bias-ply tire. Do you guys think that would be a problem?

The Michelins for H-D Touring bikes are not radials.  Same as the Dunlops, they are bias-ply; but built of 3-ply polyester with 2 aramid belts.

'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 05:58:42 AM »

The Michelins for H-D Touring bikes are not radials.  Same as the Dunlops, they are bias-ply; but built of 3-ply polyester with 2 aramid belts.

Gotcha...I thought they were radials. Thanks for the info.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

hog2th

• "You can go to hell....I will go to Texas!"
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »

I just wanted to add to the comments about the michelins, Ive had them on my seeg for about 1k miles,, I love them and cannot say enough about them. I replaced Avon tires and I will not go back. Hope they give good miles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.