Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rotors: Looking good Louis, or stopping good Billy Ray  (Read 2395 times)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Rotors: Looking good Louis, or stopping good Billy Ray
« on: December 01, 2007, 07:46:07 AM »

Have been on a quest for new rotors. have several questions for the all knowing CVO group. Obviously finding a look that goes with the wheels is a must, but what if they are non floating? I have the brembo brake calipers, so how much difference will a floating vs non floating rotor make in stopping the 2006 SEUC? (looks are important, but safety will always win out!).  I understand the design differences, but in reality, do they perform different on typical two up riding (not racing)? any help or suggestions always appreciated, john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

stekat

• Full CVO Member
Re: Rotors: Looking good Louis, or stopping good Billy Ray
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 11:59:01 AM »

I understand the need for performance and looks and I too have Brembo's.  I'm going to use a wheel and rotor from Hogpro.  The wheel is the Renegade "Newport" five spoke and the rotor is a new composite ten spoke floater from Lyndall.  It's 11.5" while the Brembo is 11.8".  I put one on top of the other and the difference is negligible, Hogpro agrees.  Every other spoke lines up so it looks symmetrical.  The center section will be chrome.  The rotors are half the weight of the stock and are guaranteed for life if you use the "Z" pads.  This is one possibility

http://www.hogpro.com/imagebox.php?name=pic/part-pic290.jpg
http://www.hogpro.com/imagebox.php?name=pic/part-pic641.jpg

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 07:19:18 AM »

okay, since I didn't entice anyne with my dazzling title, here are the reasons: found this rotor at Hogpro:(see below)
though not perfect match to my wheels, pretty close. but not floating.
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:22:02 AM »

then after some research I found: (see below) at BrakeTech. it is floating, and from their literature and discussion with their rep, has the stopping strength of Sampson! So my original thought was better to look good or stop better?
Or does floating actually allow to you stop better? john
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »

You might want to check out http://www.w8lessrotors.com/ as well.  Haven't used them yet, but was considering them since they are a lot lighter and are supposed to stop a lot better...

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »

then after some research I found: (see below) at BrakeTech. it is floating, and from their literature and discussion with their rep, has the stopping strength of Sampson! So my original thought was better to look good or stop better?
Or does floating actually allow to you stop better? john

Not sure about stopping, but they tend not to squeak and would drag less once the rotors develop runout.  They are able to move and it also isolates the vibration and therefore squeaking. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 01:56:30 PM »

okay, since I didn't entice anyne with my dazzling title, here are the reasons: found this rotor at Hogpro:(see below)
though not perfect match to my wheels, pretty close. but not floating.

I use those rotors on my Deuce and they work very well, I've had no warpage and the polish and chrome are outstanding.  It's a very good choice if you're willing to give up floating.  The Lyndall rotors are a composite like the w8less but the chrome center and relief above the center look better to me.

Are you going to use the Harley nine spoke chrome stock wheel?  If so, I put the Lyndall composite up against the Harley nine spoke and because the rotors are so open, the extra spoke of the lyndall with a chrome center, still looks good.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 02:04:01 PM by stekat »

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 08:12:37 PM »

You might want to check out http://www.w8lessrotors.com/ as well.  Haven't used them yet, but was considering them since they are a lot lighter and are supposed to stop a lot better...

Ernie,
the w8less rotors can even have custom carrier to match wheel! Do you know anyone who has tried these? john
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:39:33 PM »

I use those rotors on my Deuce and they work very well, I've had no warpage and the polish and chrome are outstanding.  It's a very good choice if you're willing to give up floating.  The Lyndall rotors are a composite like the w8less but the chrome center and relief above the center look better to me.

Are you going to use the Harley nine spoke chrome stock wheel?  If so, I put the Lyndall composite up against the Harley nine spoke and because the rotors are so open, the extra spoke of the lyndall with a chrome center, still looks good.
stekat,
my 2006 seuc has the six slotted wheel (spun aluminum center with chrome outer ring), so have been trying to fine something with a "six" pattern, that why those two choices have come up. after reading ernie's response on w8less rotors they can have custom carrier piece, john
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.