Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Switching To Car Rear Tire?  (Read 3508 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Switching To Car Rear Tire?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 12:49:36 AM »

Very interesting, I'm not to sure about the handling in a turn, smaller, sharper radius, harder compound. Someone try it and let us know!!!
Already did.......slid into a 'median' in a corner and flipped the scooter and dumped me and my BSR due to all that you mentioned above (the big-boy beverages  :drink:I'd just consumed had nothing to do with it ).  ??? Still blame the car tire.  :-X har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
Re: Switching To Car Rear Tire?
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 07:12:18 AM »

Lots of folks do this on GL1800 Goldwings. I don't know any who have had any problems so far doing it.

BUT:

Maybe it's me but after talking to a few people in the tire business I have decided that this is not the safest way to go. Some people could give a rats ass about safety and ride all kinds of stuff that I would not even try like no front brakes, just because they have survived so far even with thousands of miles does not make it a good idea. The sidewalls are completely different on a car tire and a motorcycle tire. I am not talking about riding on the sidewall, I am talkin about pressure on the sidewall while cornering. A car tire is not meant to roll leaned over and is not designed to do so. You ever seen a car tire fold in during a high speed slolem cornering manuveur? I have. Just think, those tires are on rims that are standing up 90 degrees to the pavement, so this is at least double as likely when on a 45 degree angle. Simple physics. The myth about tire manufacturers just trying to gain extra profit off motorcyclists is obserd, the cost is not just the materials but also in the R&D to create the thing...........I would not do it........just my two cents. Might be ok for an old guy who basically never hits corners on a highway on a goldwing or other 6 cylinder beast. You guys try it and let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:34:41 AM by sefatboyscott »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.