Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Invisible wobble cure for flh models  (Read 9902 times)

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
Invisible wobble cure for flh models
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:07:14 PM »

In the January 2008 issue of Baggers mag the article  Stability through support shows
something interesting.
Glide-Pro's FL stabilizer.
It changes the swingarm pivot to a stainless steel one and changes the stock rubber
bushings with polyurethane ones.

Has anyone tried this product? If so does it work. does it take away the wobble?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Invisible wobble cure for flh models
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »

In the January 2008 issue of Baggers mag the article  Stability through support shows
something interesting.
Glide-Pro's FL stabilizer.
It changes the swingarm pivot to a stainless steel one and changes the stock rubber
bushings with polyurethane ones.

Has anyone tried this product? If so does it work. does it take away the wobble?

I found this discussion and review.
http://hdforums.com/m_619748/printable.htm

Here's a link to their site.
http://www.glide-pro.com/

Worth looking at.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:15:40 PM »

Thanks Hoist!!!
It looks like the rider feedback is very good.
May be installing this on my bike soon. It seems like a better solution to the problem than
having something hanging down under your bike to drag on speed bumps and such, especially
on a bike with lowered suspension like the seeg.

Thanks again, Mark

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »

Thanks Hoist!!!
It looks like the rider feedback is very good.
May be installing this on my bike soon. It seems like a better solution to the problem than
having something hanging down under your bike to drag on speed bumps and such, especially
on a bike with lowered suspension like the seeg.

Thanks again, Mark

I Like the idea of that too Mark. I just hope the urethane bushings aren't too stiff. That causes vibrations too. This setup is supposed the effect the StaBo's are supposed to have. But maybe real 1-piece quality stuff might be the answer. True-Track also has replacement pivot mounts. Let us know if you look into this further. Thanks.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 06:34:54 PM »

hey BananaMan, be sure and come back and leave us some feedback on how you like it.   8)thanks, spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:59:02 PM »

Here's another version of swingarm stabilizer I've not seen before...it is in a short ad in the front of the lastest Bagger mag.  Looks very simple, but it totally out of the way.

The Glide Pro looks interesting as well.

http://www.cdc-cycle.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=20352
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:07:56 PM »

That looks interesting as well, but I am not a big fan of extra brackets on my
bike unless they are hidden. It may possibly have the best support though.

I will be installing something before this riding season gets here as my bike wobbles
badly on 80mph interstate curves. I am tired of the bars and the seat not feeling
connected.

Don't worry spyder, when I pull the trigger I will sure let everyone know how I like it.
I have learned a lot from this site, and I will give back what knowledge I gain.

This site is the best.

Mark.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:14 AM »

I went with the Trackula combo from True Track which replaces the bushings wiht bronze and had no vibration issues on the 2006 SEUC.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 01:30:13 AM »

here's the link to the page with all of the kit http://www.true-track.com/1_2006_016.htm

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »

Not to be difficult here, but do these things really work?  Since so many things can set up a wobble such as low tire pressure, irregular tire wear, improper loading, etc. how could these swing arm stabilizers work?  If lose swing arms was the cause of all wobble every manufacturer (even HD) would have fixed them.

I've even heard of wobble in a BMW, and they don't have a swing arm!
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:05:54 PM »

Not to be difficult here, but do these things really work?  Since so many things can set up a wobble such as low tire pressure, irregular tire wear, improper loading, etc. how could these swing arm stabilizers work?  If lose swing arms was the cause of all wobble every manufacturer (even HD) would have fixed them.

I've even heard of wobble in a BMW, and they don't have a swing arm!

MV, when the first group purchase of these devices was done here there was discussion of just that.  We knew "wobble" was more than one thing; or had more than one potential source.  The tail wagging the dog was only one such potential source.  That being so some were installing for basically prophylactic purposes.  It might help.  It might extend the life of swing arm bushings a bit.  And it really couldn't hurt anything to make the effort.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:17:45 PM »

MV, when the first group purchase of these devices was done here there was discussion of just that.  We knew "wobble" was more than one thing; or had more than one potential source.  The tail wagging the dog was only one such potential source.  That being so some were installing for basically prophylactic purposes.  It might help.  It might extend the life of swing arm bushings a bit.  And it really couldn't hurt anything to make the effort.

As well, whether they "eliminate" the mysterious wobble or not they definitely add to the handling enjoyment of my motorcycle. 

So if I feel the wobble sometime down the road or not I will have enjoyed many miles of riding with a bike that feels much closer to being on rails than a washboard.

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »

As well, whether they "eliminate" the mysterious wobble or not they definitely add to the handling enjoyment of my motorcycle. 

So if I feel the wobble sometime down the road or not I will have enjoyed many miles of riding with a bike that feels much closer to being on rails than a washboard.

So these actually DO improve handling? 

If I smoothly enter a corner my bike handles it well enough (for a bagger), but if I try to do a quick turn or a slalom type maneuver it wrestles me a bit.  It's like a battle of wills with me saying "turn" and the bike saying "OK", then "No" as it decides it would prefer to continue it's present course instead.  Do these type products affect that, or is that simply the mass of the bike and unavoidable?

Compared to my Road Glide this is definitely a different beast.  Feels lighter in the front but way heavier in the rear end.  It might just be a matter of getting used to it.  I am still not used to all the gauges moving when I turn the steering wheel!
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 12:54:16 PM »

So these actually DO improve handling? 

The most honest answer has got to be yes, no and maybe.  Some experienced no real change at all.  Some experienced significant and immediate improvement.  And some experienced smaller changes at various margins. 

It really does seem to vary bike to bike, and rider to rider.  Can remember a couple of the group having profound wobble/whatever that was nearly all initiated by airflow over the nose. One the front started the rear end tried to keep up.

Much of the shake in the Electra Glides is often air coming up underneath the inside of the fairing and giving it a shove.  That shakes the bars right along with it of course.

For me the the Ride-Str8 thing helped one particular issue.  On long sweepers taken at "moderate" speeds the ass end would often not want to straighten out as quickly as it should.  Would even oversteer a bit at the end of a turn, or at the end of each turn if they were in succession. Enough that a correction had to be made.  It was never bad (at least once you knew it was there).  The new device in the rear made that go away.

That was the only ill behavior I ever had that started in the rear though.  Everything else is just wind up inside the fairing.  And that you just have to be prepared for.

The sta-bo bushings I got because I got them cheap.  That's the only reason I tried them.  Someone got them, didn't like them, and sold them for $35.  For that it was worth it to experiment.

There was a difference with them.  And one I liked.  It wasn't great but it was beneficial.  They "stiffened" the back end of the bike up when finishing any turn.  The whole bike responds to throttle application to be pulled upright more quickly and "solidly" from from to rear with the bushings in compared to without. 

Had no idea what to expect of them.  So when noticed that right off the bat it was a pleasant surprise.  As said, it's not a huge difference.  But it is a good one.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 12:57:32 PM »

Like 2Ln, I did a number of mods to mine.  The true track and bushings, Traxxion AK 20 front shocks and 44 Progressive rears.

The combination of all make the bike a really nice handling machine.

As Don said, each thing adds it's own small improvement, although in the case of the AK 20's from Traxxion I would call it a "big" improvement in my case.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »

Like 2Ln, I did a number of mods to mine.  The true track and bushings, Traxxion AK 20 front shocks and 44 Progressive rears.

The combination of all make the bike a really nice handling machine.

As Don said, each thing adds it's own small improvement, although in the case of the AK 20's from Traxxion I would call it a "big" improvement in my case.

Rog, I've not done anything that was more profoundly improving than the Traxxion front end.  From the first moment you get on the bike pulling away from the curb it's just an astounding level of difference. 

It obviously is not going to help any rear initiated wobble.  In case where the dog starts shaking and that leads to the tail wagging, however, it has to help.  The ass end can't follow the front (and start a shake all its own) if the front end is a lot more stable.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »

The most honest answer has got to be yes, no and maybe.  Some experienced no real change at all.  Some experienced significant and immediate improvement.  And some experienced smaller changes at various margins. 

It really does seem to vary bike to bike, and rider to rider.  Can remember a couple of the group having profound wobble/whatever that was nearly all initiated by airflow over the nose. One the front started the rear end tried to keep up.

Much of the shake in the Electra Glides is often air coming up underneath the inside of the fairing and giving it a shove.  That shakes the bars right along with it of course.

For me the the Ride-Str8 thing helped one particular issue.  On long sweepers taken at "moderate" speeds the ass end would often not want to straighten out as quickly as it should.  Would even oversteer a bit at the end of a turn, or at the end of each turn if they were in succession. Enough that a correction had to be made.  It was never bad (at least once you knew it was there).  The new device in the rear made that go away.

That was the only ill behavior I ever had that started in the rear though.  Everything else is just wind up inside the fairing.  And that you just have to be prepared for.

The sta-bo bushings I got because I got them cheap.  That's the only reason I tried them.  Someone got them, didn't like them, and sold them for $35.  For that it was worth it to experiment.

There was a difference with them.  And one I liked.  It wasn't great but it was beneficial.  They "stiffened" the back end of the bike up when finishing any turn.  The whole bike responds to throttle application to be pulled upright more quickly and "solidly" from from to rear with the bushings in compared to without. 

Had no idea what to expect of them.  So when noticed that right off the bat it was a pleasant surprise.  As said, it's not a huge difference.  But it is a good one.
Too bad, the MoCo couldn't see fit to add these 'improvements' to their flagship touring motorcycles.  :confused5: :-\   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 01:08:30 PM »

Too bad, the MoCo couldn't see fit to add these 'improvements' to their flagship touring motorcycles.  :confused5: :-\   spyder

Guess since they don't help, dramatically, every time; but only make the riding experience a little more enjoyable and only slightly more safe they're just not as important as a chrome starter.  Oh, wait, we never got those to begin with either :oops: .
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.