Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brakes are squeaking, new Renegade rotors  (Read 1636 times)

MikeD

Brakes are squeaking, new Renegade rotors
« on: March 02, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »

Hey guys,
I recently added a set of Renegade South Beach wheels and matching rotors.  The problems is that they squeak like you wouldn't believe.  The delearship recommended going with a kevlar brake pad.  Any suggestions.  I dont really have the money to switch to some pm's and I want to keep the stock calipers, just change the pads. 
Thanks
Miked

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Brakes are squeaking, new Renegade rotors
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:20:33 AM »

Hey guys,
I recently added a set of Renegade South Beach wheels and matching rotors.  The problems is that they squeak like you wouldn't believe.  The delearship recommended going with a kevlar brake pad.  Any suggestions.  I dont really have the money to switch to some pm's and I want to keep the stock calipers, just change the pads. 
Thanks
Miked

Mike,

Did the brakes squeak/squeal before the rotor and wheel change, or just afterward?  Are the new rotors floating or solid?  Is the squeak a constant thing or just under certain conditions (cold, hot, hard application, soft application, etc.)?  Did you install new pads when you installed the rotors?

If the squeak only occurred after the rotor change, take a good look at the installation and make sure the rotors are centered in the calipers.  The material and the surface finish of the new rotors may also be different enough from the stock parts to set up a harmonic vibration with the old stock pads (if you didn't change them).  Try a new set of pads; my suggestion would be to try a set of the Lyndall Z pads.  They stop better, have better feel at the lever, have much less brake dust, and are quieter than the stock H-D pads.  The following link will take you to one of the many threads on these pads:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9077.0

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MikeD

Re: Brakes are squeaking, new Renegade rotors
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:29:33 AM »

Thanks jerry,
They've started squeaking after I installed the new rotor.  I took to the local delaer and they changed the pads, with the oem hd pads.  They continued to squeal.  The tech felt the same as you but they were leaning toward EBC pads, which are a kevlar pad.  I noticed the z pads are a kevlar/carbon pad.  I will see if I can order the z pads opposed to the EBC's.  I looked through the site and realized that I inquired about this prior to changing my wheels, I'm a dummy!  Hopefully I can get them and get'm on this week.  I put about 100 miles on them yesterday and it sucks to draw attention to your bike because of the brake noise and not exhaust or looks!  Thanks again jerry.

Mike

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.