Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: 09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?  (Read 15454 times)

Jerry/MD

09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »

I know 2 guys who got 18k miles on their 2010 Ultra Limited rear tires. What have you gotten?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: 09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »

I had 20,500 on the rear tire on my 09 SERG when I replaced it.  I had less than 500 miles riding double.

I was very happy with the tread life.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

Well that's great,,,,,,,,, However I look at this a little different , I am replacing both tires on my 08SEUC at 9,000 miles because 'why take chances?'  JMHO.... :soapbox:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:44:31 PM by Georgehjr »
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »

Had 21000 miles on the rear of my 09 Ultra when I traded it in still not down to the wear bars, but the flat tread wear was noticeable.  Normally change at 15,000 just to be safe.  Ride double loaded all the time.  My 010 CVO SE5 has 17,000 on the rear  and will change shortly as I have some longer trips planned.  Changed the front tire on the CVO at 30,000 miles.

TwoToes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide Black
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »

Wow, you guys age getting great millage. I usually get 10,000 on the rear and 20,000 on the front and I ride solo.

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »

It depends on your riding style, if you are always in the throttle hard then 10K is about right. Same for braking, racing to the light and stopping hard tends to wear the tires faster as well. I get near 20K on my tires normally.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »

I used to downshift hard and only got 6k on the 1st rear tire. That became an expensive habit so I tried harder to use the front break more and got 9k out of the 2nd. I really babied it (I thought).
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »

Wow, you guys age getting great millage. I usually get 10,000 on the rear and 20,000 on the front and I ride solo.

There talking about the Dunlop 407 & 408 tires that the touring models came out in 2009, the tread is improved. My rear tire on my 2010 Limited was changed at  over 25,000 miles.. Front was just changed at 30,622.. Was ready for new..
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »

How many times have I seen threads like this ? How many times have I posted on threads like this ? Too many but still as someone who's had his share of issues with tires, I feel compelled to say again and again and again  DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE for the sake of how many miles you clock on your tires. I could go on and on and on for a couple of pages here with stories both personal and as related to me but I think it's as plain as the nose on your face. If you are at all concerned about how many miles you can squeeze out of a tire while riding a two wheeled vehicle you should cease riding two wheeled vehicles

B B

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »

I had over 15K miles but still had another 4-5K left based on tread measurement. Brian raised some very good points, my tire was cupped beyound where I thought the tire was safe. So I renewed it!

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:35:45 PM »

How many times have I seen threads like this ? How many times have I posted on threads like this ? Too many but still as someone who's had his share of issues with tires, I feel compelled to say again and again and again  DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE for the sake of how many miles you clock on your tires. I could go on and on and on for a couple of pages here with stories both personal and as related to me but I think it's as plain as the nose on your face. If you are at all concerned about how many miles you can squeeze out of a tire while riding a two wheeled vehicle you should cease riding two wheeled vehicles

B B

When tire is ready for replacement for me that doesn't mean it's un-safe... I care for the tires real well as it is a two wheel vehicle and care for my well being...   
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

TwoToes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide Black
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »

I agree with Spiderman. Safety is the key issue. I change my tires when they are worn but before they are worn out. I could get another 1k to 2k but it is not worth the risk.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 10:49:51 PM »

I agree with Spiderman. Safety is the key issue. I change my tires when they are worn but before they are worn out. I could get another 1k to 2k but it is not worth the risk.
It's really hard to cut it that close....I usually throw away lost more miles than that, usually due to planning to leave on a trip and not wanting to leave on a tire that can't make the most of the way.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »

There talking about the Dunlop 407 & 408 tires that the touring models came out in 2009, the tread is improved. My rear tire on my 2010 Limited was changed at  over 25,000 miles.. Front was just changed at 30,622.. Was ready for new..

Holy Crap Batman! Those miles are not average. I just posted in this subsection so just getting to this thread. I get about 9K on a rear and 12K on a front on my 09 FLHRC. I ride two up about a third of the time and run mountain roads with some spirit. I change mine when they look even close to worn. I am sure I throw miles away but love the look, feel, ride and confidence of the fresh rubber.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »

Holy Crap Batman! Those miles are not average. I just posted in this subsection so just getting to this thread. I get about 9K on a rear and 12K on a front on my 09 FLHRC. I ride two up about a third of the time and run mountain roads with some spirit. I change mine when they look even close to worn. I am sure I throw miles away but love the look, feel, ride and confidence of the fresh rubber.

Dr.D, the difference between you apparent knowledge in this post as compared to the "subthread" you started is what has me convinced my post in your subthread is correct. Keep it up Dude, I need a good daily laugh

B B

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »

I get around 14 k out of a rear tire then she has that flat spot everyone thinks is ok. I toss it, even though it has a few k left. I tend to think about my safety and not the 30 bucks I can stretch out of a tire.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »

I join in the line of thinking with Dick and a few others here.....my life is worth more than another 1k miles.  As soon as it gets to the wear bar, it's replaced.....that's what the wear bar is for.

And......a quietly kept secreat......I ride a tad bit more spirited than most...on a regular basis....so I'm not about to take the additional risk of trying to squeeze a few more miles out of a tire.

I also use the transmission and down shift for control in all the twisties....that takes a toll on a tire.  But then, I've never had a warped rotor, either and my brake pads last longer.  It's all relevant my friends. :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:14:25 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »

JC
   You say you've never warped a rotor. Have you always run the free floating rotors that come standard on a CVO on all of your H-D's ? I ask because I've never warped one of those but I've warped several no floating ones. You come flying down off Mt Washington in New Hampshire or Pike's Peak etc and they heat up fast. I know you guys did some serious climbing at the Cripple Creek GTG but you had the Cherry Bomb on that run.

B B

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »

Dr.D, the difference between you apparent knowledge in this post as compared to the "subthread" you started is what has me convinced my post in your subthread is correct. Keep it up Dude, I need a good daily laugh

B B

In the sub of the subthread that I started in the first thread I was confused but know I see real clear. If the threads are showin the tire ain't no good thanks for showin me this thread. :-\ ::)  :pepper:

In the future I'll try compose better material.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »

JC
   You say you've never warped a rotor. Have you always run the free floating rotors that come standard on a CVO on all of your H-D's ? I ask because I've never warped one of those but I've warped several no floating ones. You come flying down off Mt Washington in New Hampshire or Pike's Peak etc and they heat up fast. I know you guys did some serious climbing at the Cripple Creek GTG but you had the Cherry Bomb on that run.

B B

I'm in the mountains all the time.....it's over 7k feet just 80 miles up the road from me. 

While we rode Pike's Peak, that was a dirt road and used mostly gearing coming down with a feather of the brakes now and then. I ride asphalt the same way.  Been riding since the early 70s and have never had a warped rotor however, I did have one that cracked on my 86 Heritage, once.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:18:21 PM »

Changed the front at 5500 due to cupping changed the rear at 8500 it had squared off a bit it was in for some light damage repairs (no tmy fault) so whilst it being broke down i thought i may as well .Whats a couple of thousand miles difference gonna make ?DO IT

Someone i know went on a 2000m trip with a rear tyre you could see where the tread used to be (shadow) until the white wall started peeling off with the heat then he got worried & had it changed. Along with the starter that decided to die overall cost 1800ch Francs.
Serves him right. :-\
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »

I'm in the mountains all the time.....it's over 7k feet just 80 miles up the road from me. 

While we rode Pike's Peak, that was a dirt road and used mostly gearing coming down with a feather of the brakes now and then. I ride asphalt the same way.  Been riding since the early 70s and have never had a warped rotor however, I did have one that cracked on my 86 Heritage, once.

OUCH, this is where we part ways JC. I'd rather buy a $120 rotor than rebuild a motor cause I was riding like a trucker with a Jake Brake. Sorry, no offense, just my personal opinion that using your engine to slow your bike down; especially coming down the side of a mountain is hard on it.

B B

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »

using your engine to slow your bike down; especially coming down the side of a mountain is hard on it.

B B

That's how I always ride, I feel much safer using the engine then the brake in most circumstances. Once you get a good feel for the (your) bike and the conditions you ride the bike under using the engine just feels natural. JMO.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »

You can't use one or the other if you want to go fast....it takes all of it.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »

Worn out tires, brakes and motors just mean you had a great life. Back to work boys so I can make more cash and ride the piss out of em.

I can easily see getting anywhere from 2k to 12K on a tire. There are to  many variables such as roads, riding styles, tire compounds, loads, power application and braking habits that affect milage to come to much of a consensus. It's your money and your life so change when you want to. All my personal opinion and all arguments accepted.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

You can't use one or the other if you want to go fast....it takes all of it.  :) spyder
You're right Spyder. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »

Wouldn't it be so boring if we all agreed on everything ?

I use my engine only in those situations where the brakes are not enough.

And after 40+ years of riding, I try hard to avoid those situations.

B B

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »

For this guy, tires, clutches, gearboxs and engines all last about the same.
Ever wonder what the heel shifter was really good for? Wonder no more.

SG
Fullsac
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 10:34:31 AM »

Just changed my rear tire again with 18000 miles on it,, squaring off a bit, but still not to the wear bars.  Does handle allot better with the new tire.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »

For this guy, tires, clutches, gearboxs and engines all last about the same.
Ever wonder what the heel shifter was really good for? Wonder no more.

SG
Fullsac

Well that's one way to use up a rear pretty fast...   ;)

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 08:44:14 AM »

Doesn't seem to matter how many miles per year I ride... Every time I attend an "event"... I need a new back tire.   (stupid burnout pits!)

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Rickasha

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »

I had 19,500 on my 09 SE Ultra. My son had just over 23,000 on his 09 SG.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »

I realize cupping is an issue with the front tires, but at 14,000 miles, I've got good tread left on the rear, but it is definitely cupped. Yesterday I was hearing it when I did a long right or left sweeper- any transition from riding straight on the center of the tire- you could hear it making a whirring noise.

Do the rear D408's commonly cup as well?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »

Same problem here 9000 mi on the rear with tons of tread left but cupped to chit.  Is this just a Dunlop problem?   Or maybe an issue with the new platform?

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 11:12:40 PM »

Same problem here 9000 mi on the rear with tons of tread left but cupped to chit.  Is this just a Dunlop problem?   Or maybe an issue with the new platform?

Wonder if HD will cough up on a warranty for a rear?
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »

I have 16k on mine still lots of tread left but has been cupped for 7k+ miles
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »

Wonder if HD will cough up on a warranty for a rear?

I'll bet they won't. :huepfenlol2: Not even close. :D  Not to sound aggressive or anything but I think you guys are pushing your luck on these tires. Spend the dough and enjoy safe and comfortable riding.

23K on a tire??? why? Because it ain't gone pop yet?

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »

I'll bet they won't. :huepfenlol2: Not even close. :D  Not to sound aggressive or anything but I think you guys are pushing your luck on these tires. Spend the dough and enjoy safe and comfortable riding.

23K on a tire??? why? Because it ain't gone pop yet?

I got over 25,000 miles on my rear and just over 30,000 on front.. If you take care of these new 407F and 408 tires they'll last.. Mine would of gone longer safely.. Just shareing the facts...  Hope this helps..
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »

so i'm the only one getting 6500 to 7k on these tires. :'(

i don't do burnouts if thats what yer thinking. :-* get her up to speed on occasion.

TN

just changed my rear on the serg with 1/16" of tread left. 6300mi
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:07:55 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »

I got over 25,000 miles on my rear and just over 30,000 on front.. If you take care of these new 407F and 408 tires they'll last.. Mine would of gone longer safely.. Just shareing the facts...  Hope this helps..

What air pressure are you running front and rear?  Thanks, bob

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »

Yes.
 :nixweiss:

SBB

modified to add
Yes but most of us get that much and a whole lot more!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 07:14:57 AM »

i don't do burnouts if thats what yer thinking. :-* get her up to speed on occasion.

TN

Count me in that group.  I'm guessing one needs to drive like granny from church to get 20k out of a rear tire.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: Re: 09 And Newer Touring...How Many Miles on Rear Tire?
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 08:26:27 AM »

TN

2011 SERGU with 20k on tires. Front tire is at 4/32 and rear is at 3/32. Tire pressure front is 38 and rear is 40. Always ride solo but loaded up on road trips. I am a fairly aggressive rider. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »

Count me in that group.  I'm guessing one needs to drive like granny from church to get 20k out of a rear tire.

i mostly just ride my serg on sundays to church and back. :-\

TN

tried the avon cobras also, same results. :'(

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »

on my fifth 180/55/18 rear tire with 25k on the clock (serg). :'(  i get the usual 10k out of the rear tire on my 08tr running avon venoms.

glad i have a no-mar changer.

TN

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »

Well you get what you get and there are many variables that influence wear. I ride on my tires and you on yours. Personally the money is not that important since I love this hobby so much. I enjoy turning the rear of the FatBob into blue smoke at the light so 7K is plenty. I like to see more than that on the Road King.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »

we are an elderly couple riding very decently, no burn-outs  ;)

But as we got some really enjoyable mountain-sites around us we use up those Dunlops (both) at some 7-9.000 m with the new frame and ABS.

With the old bikes we got around 8.000 m on rear and 16.000 m on front (Dunlop-) tyres.

But I must admit as our country can be rain-soaked we never go anywhere near the limits  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »

Kraut I like that never going near the limit thing. One slip down is to many.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 10:27:32 AM »

Same problem here 9000 mi on the rear with tons of tread left but cupped to chit.  Is this just a Dunlop problem?    Or maybe an issue with the new platform?

I can't help but wonder if it's a "balance" problem.  With various brands I've used over the years.....I'll get good wear out of two or three then one will cup really bad.  It's happened with all the brands.  Is it a bad wheel balance?  I know that once they start cupping, there's no stopping it.

I've experienced the same but not as often.....with a tire wearing more on one side than the other.  I had a dealership try to tell me a few years ago that it's because they're laying the roads with a higher center crown. :zstupid:  Funny thing is, it hasn't happened to any of the tires since.  :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »

I can't help but wonder if it's a "balance" problem.  With various brands I've used over the years.....I'll get good wear out of two or three then one will cup really bad.  It's happened with all the brands.  Is it a bad wheel balance?  I know that once they start cupping, there's no stopping it.

I've experienced the same but not as often.....with a tire wearing more on one side than the other.  I had a dealership try to tell me a few years ago that it's because they're laying the roads with a higher center crown. :zstupid:  Funny thing is, it hasn't happened to any of the tires since.  :nixweiss:

The crowns of the roads are sinking and now are laying flat.

FXDF_Rogue

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »

Replacing my stock tire on my FLHXSE2 this weekend with less than 9,000 miles of mostly freeway riding.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty disappointed with the tread life of the stock tires on this and my FXDF as well. 

CVO King

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »

2011 FLHXSE2 replaced both front & rear at 22K still had a few K left but why push it to the max?

TheDawg

• MO

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »

I got 15K out the tires on my 09 SERG.  I was happy with that since I ride pretty hard.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »

15,000 on the rear of my SERG as well- still lots of tread left, but it was cupped, so I just replaced it with the OEM.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »

1st rear, 16K, 2nd at 19K (nail), 3rd at 34K.  Felt safe on the 3rd, but was leaving on a 1200 mile trip.  Never showed any wear bars.

Still have the original front at 36K   :o  No cupping and plenty of tread left. 

I don't do burnouts, but ride the bike pretty hard.  ("How'd that imprint of a tire get on the sidewalk in front of your office?).  Usually I do 2 rears to a front.  Don't know why this one has lasted this long.  ???
Spada84
NoSofa!

Christian

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 04:35:39 AM »

I got about 11,5tkm (= 7k miles) and the rear was down.
No burn outs, but heavy riding on Autobahn (always above 110mph). It´s a fast bike ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »

1st rear, 16K, 2nd at 19K (nail), 3rd at 34K.  Felt safe on the 3rd, but was leaving on a 1200 mile trip.  Never showed any wear bars.

Still have the original front at 36K   :o  No cupping and plenty of tread left. 

I don't do burnouts, but ride the bike pretty hard.  ("How'd that imprint of a tire get on the sidewalk in front of your office?).  Usually I do 2 rears to a front.  Don't know why this one has lasted this long.  ???
Hey Spada, I think the tire-fairy slipped in and swapped out that rear tire for a brand spanking new one while you were sleeping.  :zzz: har.  spyder

BTAman

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »

I got 11K out the back tire on my 09 SERG.  It wasn't quite down to the wear bar but since they were already working on my bike I had them change it out just to be safe. My front tire was replace under warranty at 5K for the cupping issue.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »

I got about 11,5tkm (= 7k miles) and the rear was down.
No burn outs, but heavy riding on Autobahn (always above 110mph). It´s a fast bike ;D

breaking wears the tires more than accelerating  ;D
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »

Jerry/MD, I think tire mileage has a lot to do with where you ride. My friend has a 2001 Heritage and regularly gets 15k out of the rear. He rides about 70 miles per day on the freeway to work and back, and sometimes we cruise thru the Santa Monica mountains. My first bike, 1995 Heritage which I now ride locally only, will barely get 10k from the rear, but always 20K from the front. I ride a combo of mountain roads and freeway. This also has an effect on brake pads. I crank it on when I get on the freeway and I don't drop gears when coming to a light on surface streets. Sometimes I ride it easy and sometimes I ride it hard. On my 09SEUC I hate to admit I only have 9k miles on it and both tires still look really good, but If I get 15K out of the rear and 20K out of the front I will be happy. I check the tire pressures at least twice a month on both bikes, and if they are off it is usually by only a pound or two. I have never met anyone who got 20K out of a rear tire on a Big Twin, but of course I believe what the guys on the site have posted. One of the guys on the site who is local to me just switched to Dunlop American Elite (not Elite 3 ) I will be checking in with him after a while to see what kind of tire mileage he is getting.  JMHO. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2011, 03:17:57 PM »

09 SERG 10k first rear. 15k first front. About to put 2nd rear on this week at 20k.
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »

Amazing the varying ranges of mileage it takes to wear out a tire.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2011, 01:27:58 AM »

09 SERG :

Front changed at (tkm ) 10-24-42-55
Rear changed at (tkm)  11-24-42-55

At these points the tires are still good enough to keep when the street is dry but with little rain the slippery begins and the front is singing when doing twistys louder and louder .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 08:56:44 AM »

09SERG

Front replaced (cupping) with another 407 at around 5K (didn't have a 408 in stock and I was leaving on a 1,500 mile trip)

Rear replaced at 9K (Cupping) with half tread left to boot!

Front 407 replaced at 9K with 408 (407 started to cup)

Have 20K on the bike now and rear is cupped badly again with center tread depth HD guage still in green.  Front tire is fine.

I ride 85% two-up and run 41 psi rear/40 front.

Wondering if the 18" blade wheels are more prone to cupping than others. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »

I had 20,500 on the rear tire on my 09 SERG when I replaced it.  I had less than 500 miles riding double.

I was very happy with the tread life.
Just replaced the rear tire again.  Not as happy this time, it was on the wear bars at 15,200 miles.  No riding double.  There where a couple long trips in very hot weather though.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Monolyth

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide, Black Diamond
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »

2010 Street glide. 21,000 miles in 12 months.  Replaced front and rear tire at 19,000.  99% solo riding.  Mostly Rain & Snow riding, so pavement was usually wet.

Talking with the dealership they were surprised I got so many miles until they found out that it was in such a small time frame.  Because the 19,000 miles was only in 11 months, the tires were pretty much at perfect tire pressue for all 19,000 miles and had never been "parked" to age or crack, etc... 

Anyway, what do I know.. all I know is I was happy to get almost 20,000 miles out of the front and rear. 

Monolyth

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »

2010 Street glide. 21,000 miles in 12 months.  Replaced front and rear tire at 19,000.  99% solo riding.  Mostly Rain & Snow riding, so pavement was usually wet.

Talking with the dealership they were surprised I got so many miles until they found out that it was in such a small time frame.  Because the 19,000 miles was only in 11 months, the tires were pretty much at perfect tire pressue for all 19,000 miles and had never been "parked" to age or crack, etc... 

Monolyth
In addition to tire pressure being right on, I think the cool/wet pavement probably helped also.  Seems as if the hot summer asphalt just melts the tread off of mine.  :( spyder

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »

Anyway, what do I know.. all I know is I was happy to get almost 20,000 miles out of the front and rear. 

Monolyth
I am curious of the condition after that many miles? Where they just reaching wear bars? or where they bald? Where any cords showing? please enlighten me. I have been riding motorcycles on the street for 34 years and have never had a tire on the rear go that far? We are talking about 6 different bikes and well over 200k miles? I have run dunlop, metzler, Avon, Continental and Pirelli's.  :nixweiss:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »

I have 12.5k on my '11 RUSE.  Just checked tires and rear has 5/32" and front about 3.5/32" tread.  Wow, on my older style frame bikes I would get maybe 11k or 12k from the rear but as much as 24k+ on the front.  Looks like the front may go before or at least along with the rear on the '11.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »

I have 12.5k on my '11 RUSE.  Just checked tires and rear has 5/32" and front about 3.5/32" tread.  Wow, on my older style frame bikes I would get maybe 11k or 12k from the rear but as much as 24k+ on the front.  Looks like the front may go before or at least along with the rear on the '11.
Wow, that is different.  I've always gotten 2 1/2 to 3 rear to fronts.  Average 10K rear and 28K front....sometimes more, sometimes less.  But, 1 to 1 front to rear is something new for sure.  spyder

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »

Best I got on a rear d407 was 15250. got 13500 on the first one. got 5250 on the 3rd set. I always change the front when I do the rear.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Monolyth

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide, Black Diamond
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »

I am curious of the condition after that many miles? Where they just reaching wear bars? or where they bald? Where any cords showing? please enlighten me. I have been riding motorcycles on the street for 34 years and have never had a tire on the rear go that far? We are talking about 6 different bikes and well over 200k miles? I have run dunlop, metzler, Avon, Continental and Pirelli's.  :nixweiss:

Rear was just under 2/32 I believe, same with the front.  Hostorically on my Heritiage and sporters I get 2 rear tires for each front 1.  But on my 2010 street glide they wore out at the same time.  I know in 2010 they supposedly made the rear tire a harder rubber to last longer..

They were not bald, nor did they have any steel belts showing etc...

Monolyth

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »

These miles were mostly in Florida. Got the New American Elite and have over 15,000 miles on rear, Still looks great. I feel I might get more miles..  Will find out, Hopefully..
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2011, 03:02:15 AM »

Wow, that is different.  I've always gotten 2 1/2 to 3 rear to fronts.  Average 10K rear and 28K front....sometimes more, sometimes less.  But, 1 to 1 front to rear is something new for sure.  spyder

Yes it's new but a more or less general observation with the 09-up touring models as our dealer confirmed when I first changed tires on my 09. Various reasons may be responsible, not the least could be harder breaking with the new Brembo/ABS system. And I suspect Dunlop did indeed change the mixture for the front tires with the 407's. I'm on the 3rd set since 22.000 m.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2011, 06:21:46 AM »

Yes it's new but a more or less general observation with the 09-up touring models as our dealer confirmed when I first changed tires on my 09. Various reasons may be responsible, not the least could be harder breaking with the new Brembo/ABS system. And I suspect Dunlop did indeed change the mixture for the front tires with the 407's. I'm on the 3rd set since 22.000 m.
Probably more so a 'softer' overall compound than harder braking I would think for the front but also increased rear mileage is a bigger factor in the ratio.  I know that some riders use a lot more rear brake than I do and that's got to be factored into each situation also.  spyder     

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »

Replaced the rear of the 09 SERG at 21,500.  Still looked pretty good but why push it with a lot of long rides coming up. 

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »

Just replaced both at 10K but still had some life on them.  I was planning an Iron Butt ride and wanted good contact with the road.  I would venture to guess that I had an additional 2-3K left on the rear and 5K for the front.  I change my wife's out more often on her Road King just to look out for her a little bit more.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »

I always change rears at 10k no matter what.

Have gotten as few as 6k on rears, heat and hills tear em up.

Used to go up to 20k on front but now I'm reducing my limit to 15k, no point in pushing the limit.

A very slow riding friend has his original rubber on a 05 RK classic with 27k miles on it.  I think that's nuts, I don't care how gentle you are on em.  I know those had a harder compound but that's just risky, which is ironic given this guy's pretty risk-averse.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »

I just put new rubber on front and rear for the wife's SG at 15K, but she drives like a woman. ;D

I would wonder if different parts of the country have more or less coarse road surfaces? We had one road up to the house that was as slick as ice after a shower, much more slippery than the other roads in the area. My father-in-law said something about the composition of the asphalt being different on that road. I saw some very coarse roads out west.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »

Jerry M/D, I have commented on this thread earlier. However, I just got back froma 3500 mile vacation with passenger and a fair amont of luggage.All different types of road surfaces. My original front tire (D407F) was cupped so bad at 11,251 miles it got replaced at BigSky Hd in Great falls Montana. When I left my rear looked like I was going to make it to 15,000 miles easily, but when I returned and had a front fork seal replaced dealer said I only had 3/32 left. On the bright side I ordered a new American Elite 180/65B16 from Sporttour (866-761-0936) delivered to my door for $185.90 I think their website is sporttour.com I checked with Dunlop before I ordered this tire and they said it is compatable with the D408  that I just had installed on the front. I hope I get at least 15K out of this American Elite. Dunlop told me it would be quieter then the 407 and it sure looks like it has a lot of tread. I hope this info helps someone out. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 21 queries.