Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I 70 bridge out near Hays, Kansas  (Read 6091 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: I 70 bridge out near Hays, Kansas
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 11:17:44 PM »

\
all about velocity and mass

amazing the things we can do with projectiles that have no explosives in them these days..... :cherry: ;)

I know, I know....  Just would've thought a chain would've broken or something.  I mean... damn....  That bitch just sliced right through.  Would've been a bad time to be a pedestrian on that bridge.  I don't think a cup would've helped  ??? .

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 11:46:24 PM »

I know, I know....  Just would've thought a chain would've broken or something.  I mean... damn....  That bitch just sliced right through.  Would've been a bad time to be a pedestrian on that bridge.  I don't think a cup would've helped  ??? .

Are we talking regular or decaf? :)

djkak

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 03:13:08 AM »

Land Shark.

I think I'd be feeling like I was having a major league flash back, and would be afraid to admit to anyone what I thought I was seeing.

:cherry:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 11:15:33 AM »

Get your check book out boss, you just bought a bridge

Roy......

waddya suppose a bridge costs anyway?

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »

I really would've thought the bridge would've won  :nixweiss: ?

Yeah, I would have bet on the bridge as well.  Maybe a little damage, but not like that.  Thought the crane would have been all busted up.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 01:17:01 PM »

Yeah, I would have bet on the bridge as well.  Maybe a little damage, but not like that.  Thought the crane would have been all busted up.

Mass, speed, impact.  And people still think Brilliant Pebbles is a dumb idea  :huepfenlol2: .

(I would've bet on the bridge this time though!)

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 01:25:01 PM »

Mass, speed, impact.  And people still think Brilliant Pebbles is a dumb idea  :huepfenlol2: .

(I would've bet on the bridge this time though!)

Yup.  And that crane looks like it might still be usable.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 01:29:24 PM »

Yup.  And that crane looks like it might still be usable.

I thought the same thing Henry.  Boom doesn't even look bent.  God knows what kind of shape hydraulics and soft mounts might be in.  But it's surprisingly not ugly for having just rammed in to a somewhat previously thought to be immovable object.

REGGAB

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »

I thought the same thing Henry.  Boom doesn't even look bent.  God knows what kind of shape hydraulics and soft mounts might be in.  But it's surprisingly not ugly for having just rammed in to a somewhat previously thought to be immovable object.

Yeah Don, and therein lies the REAL mystery.  Note the country of origin/manufacture for the crane.  The Koreans have come a long way with their methods.  This must be a newer model.  I remember back in 1989 they did the lion's share of excavation using the 3 man shovel.  Now that is a funny site.  Imagine a shovel with a hole in both sides of the spade.  To each hole, a rope is tied.  One man holds the shovel as one would normally hold a shovel.  Then two men pick up the other rope ends and pull.  Those guys can move some dirt with that thing.  I know   :worthless:  so I'll have to search my archives at home and see if I can find one. :2vrolijk_21:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 05:34:20 PM »

Sadly, many new bridges are being built w/ that or similar construction. Pre - cast concrete sections held in place w/ steel tenons. They're cheaper. Price of steel, outta control. Many, many bridges are, and have been, built w/ concrete box beams as well. These little suckers are about the same things used in buildings. Lots of strands of steel put under tension. Problem is, in my view, when they go, they really go and I've a really hard time believing that they can keep the salt out of them. Salt + steel = rusty strands holding them together. Now, cost of steel again, the concrete industry has come up w/  concrete beams. Same deal w/ strands of steel through them. Same problem w/ salt penetration. AND, when an obstacle, like a track hoe, smacks one you can't see the damage. In the example shown, steel beams would of taken a hell of a beating but odds are the bridge would of been salvagable. This baby's toast.

Anyway, steel prices are outta control. Maybe when China gets the dam_ dam built things will get better.

REGGAB

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 08:08:37 AM »

Whew!  Just looked at the date on these pictures.  I thought it was more recent.  Not that is really matters much, since I'll simply be passing under I-70 on KS177..........still.........scarey.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 11:16:13 AM »

Two things interesting from this- 1)KDOT estimated $134k to repair the bridge- that seems really cheap.  2)interesting how the boom cantilevered up through the bridge- tore the hydraulics all up and must have trashed the main boom pivot point at the cab.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.