Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: SYN 3 decree  (Read 6222 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: SYN 3 decree
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2007, 11:24:16 AM »

Another debate is the use of automotive oil verses the motorcycle oil. The only real difference in a good syn auto oil and the motorcycle oil is the amount of zinc and phosphorus, auto oils are restricted as to the amount of zinc and phosphorus they can have, it has to do with damage caused to the catalytic converter. So motorcycle oil can have more of these antiware agents. The question is the extra amount of these agents really helping your bike and worth the extra money. Experts say that for GP race bikes and other sever use motorcycles the added protection is worth it, but for 90% of the street bikes it's not really getting you anything. So it's perfectly fine to run the good automotive syn oil of the correct weight in your bike. Below is a link to nightrider talking about this, also the oil bible document talks about this too.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »

I have run both the syn 3 and Amsoil in the same motor on the same bike, and you can believe it or not, but with Amsoil the motor runs quieter and cooler than with syn 3...a solid 10-15 degrees cooler on a hot day.  I changed to Amsoil, it's easy to get, and I'm sticking with it.  $92.35 per case of 12 for the V-Twin oil delivered to my door...that's $7.66 per quart...order one day, receive it the next day drop shipped from the nearest warehouse...don't have to go looking for it...it just don't get any easier than that for me.  'Nuff said...
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 01:55:04 PM »

Didja just drain the old out and refill or didja flush it somehow?

Miker

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2007, 01:58:43 PM »

Miker
Miker, I just drained out the old and put in the new.  Took four quarts.  I use Amsoil in the primary too.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2007, 02:07:23 PM »

Miker

Miker...no need to flush it out.  Just get all the fluids nice and hot, then drain everything.  There might be 6 or 8 ounces left in the crankcase, but that's not enough to do any harm, and it will blend with the good stuff just fine.  Amsoil or Mobil 1 Vtwin...either will do the job.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »

Thanks, I will swap out fluids in the next week or so once I commence to aquire them. 
Is the HD oil filter all there is or is there an alternatice for the 110? That way I can have the pleasure of giving my money to someone else other the them, they got enough from me over the years..
 :-X
Now to get some non-deteregent dino oil for the oldster.

Miker

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2007, 02:20:09 PM »

Thanks, I will swap out fluids in the next week or so once I commence to aquire them. 
Is the HD oil filter all there is or is there an alternatice for the 110? That way I can have the pleasure of giving my money to someone else other the them, they got enough from me over the years..
 :-X
Now to get some non-deteregent dino oil for the oldster.

Miker

Personally, I use the K&N chrome oil filter.  It has a nut welded on the end of the filter which is a great help in getting the old one off...ratchet, extension, socket. 
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »

OK guys as it turns out I have a way of ordering Amsoil via mail...is it worth nearly $2 more than Mobil 1 plus having to mail the stuff.  What would a good price for Redline heavy shock proof be and is there a viable alternative thick viscosity gear oil as a substitute (75-250 or some such is what Redline is rated) if I can't find a place to get it here; also what is the alternative in the 3rd hole just put Mobil 1 or Amsoil there too.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »

Amsoil in the motor and primary, Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in the tranny.   If Amsoil is $2 more per quart than Mobil 1 over there, then I would stick with Mobil 1...there is not that much difference between the two.  I get the Redline from a local indie, so I don't have a good online source.  Tried to buy it from www.myoilshop.com, but it was a terrible experience and had to get my money refunded...never again from them.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »

Amsoil in the motor and primary, Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in the tranny.   If Amsoil is $2 more per quart than Mobil 1 over there, then I would stick with Mobil 1...there is not that much difference between the two.  I get the Redline from a local indie, so I don't have a good online source.  Tried to buy it from www.myoilshop.com, but it was a terrible experience and had to get my money refunded...never again from them.
SCRM-R, sorry to hear about your bad experience.  I recently purchased Redline from them and had no problem at all. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 11:05:22 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »

Thnx SCRM-R

seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2007, 10:30:51 PM »

Drained Syn3 out once I got the bike home. Used it in the lawn mower and for killing weeds.  :huepfenlol2: I use Amsoil in all three holes and all is good. It even runs out the heads just fine too! Did I mention that my new Ultra leaks. . .  :nixweiss:
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 10:27:37 AM »

Drained Syn3 out once I got the bike home. Used it in the lawn mower and for killing weeds.  :huepfenlol2: I use Amsoil in all three holes and all is good. It even runs out the heads just fine too! Did I mention that my new Ultra leaks. . .  :nixweiss:
Ugly John

Please update the thread in the Twin Cam issue for the database.  Thanks  How many miles?
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.