Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Since politics has invaded forum-Who buys the Global Warming issue?  (Read 17598 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI

I personally do not buy into the global warming Hoax at all!

Maybe we are now into an era where there is warming going on, but only 30 years ago we were going into an ice age

no matter what happens Global Warming is the root cause,,,,

Global warming has not been proved scientifically

it is gigantic leap to assume or infer this is man made....

and even if this was man made, do you have faith in the government that they could even correct if they wanted to correct?

No, No and No

think about it this way..........new shore front properties!   the liberals should embrace the redistribution of wealth

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Since politics has invaded forum-Who buys the Global Warming issue?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »

I'm up in the air on this.

Based on recorded weather patterns, it seems to indicate that we warm and cool in cycles. 

Right now I'm thinking it's a red herring, like my teacher in Jr. High in 1964 said we were going to deplete our forests by 1985, even with reforestation.  Didn't happen.

So if there's a poll, put me down as doubtful......check back in twenty years.

PS:  I want to be the pl' guy at the dump in 30 years driving my fossil fuel burning 600hp SRT10 pickup and watch all the yunguns stare and say "the old guys have all the cool cars/trucks" as they drive away in their electric roller skates. :huepfenlol2: :bananarock:

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:24:12 PM »

I buy into as far as the glaciers are melting way to fast. Seen several first hand and was quite a shock. Forestery has a handle on the trees but how are we going to get the the ice back. Not going to happen. JMO

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:40 PM »

I'm not buying into it either.  Now, I'm not saying that the average temps have not increased slightly over the past several years, but I too remember back in the 70's when we were being told that we were going into an ice age.....The Sky Is Falling - The Sky Is Falling :D :D ;D

It is also pretty arrogant for anyone to think that man can actually effect climate.  I also get pretty tired of those that claim that we are going to "destroy the planet".  We may do a lot of harm to ourselves, but the planet is going to easily bounce back from anything that we may ever do to it.

Global Warming;  just a way for a few folks to try to justify their agenda.

Actually some Global Warming would be pretty nice right now.....37 degrees outside....  Brrrrrrrr!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:34:32 PM by LRebel »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:32:10 PM »

I avoid the political discussions of global warming and know I'm not smart enough to even know what I don't know about the science.  So I just use global warming as an excuse to try to get women to take their tops off.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:34:46 PM »

lots of oil under that Ice.........where does oil come from?????.....and how did the oil get there???

obviously animals and vegetation existed long before the ice came.......The earths climate is in a constant state of flux

I find it quite interesting how narcissistic we are in terms of our place on earth.

since we are the only intelligent life on earth we must be responsible
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:39:10 PM »

I used to think it was a bunch of crap, but there was a helluva convincing show on TV this past Sunday night (might have been 60 minutes, don't recall) that kinda has me re-thinking my position.

They were interviewing and following scientists that are monitoring the global climate.  Part of the documentation concerned the diminishing seal and penguin populations in Antarctica, along with the retreating / melting glaciers in and around Greenland.  Supposedly, some of the history on this goes back 30, 40, 50 years or so.  Another part of the story line was that some of what is reported by scientists that the government funds to do the research is altered by lawyers before it is published and the text is altered in a way that minimizes the importance of what the scientists are really wanting to report, including their forecasts of how fast and how extreme the temperatures and ocean levels will rise over the next "x" years.

I don't know, like I said, it just caused me to think about it some more.  No doubt the truth lies somewhere between the extremes of nothing is happening and New York City will be underwater 10 years from now. :nixweiss:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

Formally FLHTCUSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:29:36 AM »

Eventually this will all come to an end and something else will come out of it. You can't only think in terms of hundreds or thouands of years. What about millions, billions and trillions in the whole scheme of things! Our era's only temporary like all the others before. And all those to come! Global warming, Ice Age, same chit! :o

All I know is they tell me the earth's been around for 5 billion years and man ain't been here for most of it. And they've only had motorcycles for last 100 or so years. And they've only been really good for the last 50! I know WTF I'm doing here! ;) ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"I just want to be free to ride my machine....!"

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:38:19 AM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 05:36:54 AM »

The carbon cycle is being accelerated by the burning of fossil fuels.  There is no argument there.  All of the carbon stored in fossil fuels is released as C02 or CO upon combustion.  These are generally accepted to be greenhouse gases (trapping heat near the earth's surface).  Green plants absorb CO2 and convert it back to saccharides for fuel and cellulose as a structural material during photosynthesis.  The old environmental model had CO2 releasing gradually during plant decomposition.  With the clear cutting of rain forests that absorb CO2 and the increased use of fossil fuels that increase atmospheric CO2 levels There is certainly and impact.  What's arguable is what that impact is on the environment.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »

I avoid the political discussions of global warming and know I'm not smart enough to even know what I don't know about the science.  So I just use global warming as an excuse to try to get women to take their tops off.

The voice of reason. 

Since Mars is getting hotter according to its rectal temperature, & our sun is causing a warming cycle here on Earth as well - sure we have global warming.  Until scientists figure out how to place a thermostat on the sun, all the other stuff we are doing is not quite as effective as a dog chasing it's tale, but some of it is almost as much fun to watch.  The dog chasing his tail makes more sense in comparison.  Then you have a number of scientists claiming we are on the cusp of global cooling, as we were according to conventional "wisdom" when I was in college in dinosaur times (1970's).

As far as CO2 & temps going up & down, we have not been measuring anything long enough to have an inkling of a clue.  But put out enough propaganda & as P.T. Barnum's competitor put it so well - "There's a sucker born every minute."  People are easily led into believing stuff - the Global Warming Religion for example. Movies with important looking charts & graphs & a guy with a sonorous overtone could sell ice to Eskimos probably.  Would be appropriate in this case considering.

It does allow politicians world wide to scare folks & that creates a steady cash flow which they are more than happy to spend on whatever pet project de jour is deemed by them & their financial buddies to be the most effective way to fleece their populace.  Lining their own pockets in the meantime creates mega wealth for these folks. Including energy companies, BTW.  Don's idea above would be a much better use of said resources, but sadly, we have no leaders who place priorities where they should belong.  A top popping tax rebate perhaps?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:10:09 AM »

Some personal research may be in order.  Rent "An Inconvenient Truth" for a start.  You may not agree with Gore's politics but the international jury did award him a Nobel prize.  Some very compelling stats are guaranteed to get you thinking about this issue.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 08:43:14 AM »

Perhaps one thing that needs to be done is to stop calling it global warming and call it what it actually is:  Climate Change.  And then spend the rest of your life researching historical climate data that will ultimately show that climate change has been and always will be an ongoing process, before man existed and most likely after man ceases to exist.  Using the term "global warming" makes it too easy for folks to blow off the whole idea when they don't see a big change in the thermometer.  However, if you look at the ice cap situation it should be pretty obvious that there is a major change underway.  Would that change have taken place if man didn't exist, or is it a product of man screwing up the atmosphere?  Don't know, and don't see any foolproof way to figure it out either.  The best we can do is look at the scientific models and realize that reducing carbon and ozone emissions may or may not help, but surely won't hurt.  And of course, man being the manipulative and greedy creature he is, there will be plenty of folks who profit from this fear mongering.  That also has been the way of the world, and will most likely not change until man ceases to exist.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:54:49 AM »

Gore should never have won a Noble for that piece of trash.....many wrong facts and outright lies

He is the one that brought this forefront and has become the latest joke because of it.......his political career is

done! It was a Micheal Moore attempt to scare the general population.

I believe the whole global warming issue is a way to get greater powers to the government to collect more monies

to fund ones personal agenda. I am going to listen to the biggest hypocrite how I should conserve energy as He flies

across the country in private jets with his big energy monster house. He (Gore) has lost his mind!

It is almost as bad as John Edwards defender of the poor people going for redistribution of wealth, lets just start with

him, and takes his money (earned as a stinking trial lawyer) and give it away!  I cannot stand these guys!
Formally FLHTCUSE3

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »

I wish we could get some of that Global Warming here in Texas.  >:( It's been feeling like Alaska here the last couple of weeks.   ;D
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.