Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MotoGadget M Unit Blue -- New to Me and Very Nice Kit to Wire a Bike  (Read 745 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Something I'd never heard of before a week ago.  As much as one can be with only one unit's experience I've become a fan though.  If someone has a reason to need to wire a bike (any bike) from scratch do yourself a favor and check these things out.

After working with it some it's easy to tell this thing started out intended for the metric world.  Some design iteration has occurred to make it very functional for broader applications though.  Unless wiring itself is something you just know you will always refuse to do these units are worth checking out.

No pics since it wasn't my bike and wasn't taking a lot of spare time anyway.  One of the locals called a week ago with a new to him carbureted Evo Softail.  Bought it cheap because the wiring on it had smoked; badly.  It had obviously been butchered a few times over its lifetime and, finally, crossed a bridge too far.  Fire (just a little bit...) under the seat and under the tank.  Tank was only smoke damage though.  Seat had to be replaced.  There wasn't wire I'd have trusted anywhere on the bike.

The control module (the brain) is small.  Smaller than an Evo era ignition box.  And this box does everything; and more.  Manages everything, is programmable for many functions, works as a proximity alarm system with bluetooth to your phone, and a host of other things.  You're not going to this thing unless you're rewiring from scratch.  But if you're starting a project and don't have or can't find old harnesses to match at least give this little box some consideration. 

The Softail took about five hours yesterday and another four today.  That was to make nice tidy harnesses from scratch.  You can use smaller wire in almost all runs than the OE harnesses require so things like in handlebar wiring is easier.  And all the added functionality and programmability is impressive.

In stuff I had here he used about about $125 in wire, Deutsch connectors, and terminals.  I had an old LED headlight in the spares that was donated to the cause.  The bike's new owner said he paid about $500 for the Motogadget unit, a couple small temporary switches we used (that only after the fact I figured out programmable functions on things like the bike's kill or start switch would have made unnecessary), and just a small bit else.  So for just over $600 it's now a bike with bluetooth remote alarm, programmable electronics, safer low voltage controls, some of its own version of a CANBUS for other accessories I haven't had time to look up yet, and all in a small box that fits on just about anything.

Posted only because someone may need to wire a bike someday and wonder how/where to start. If you're in that unfortunate position check this little gadget out.

https://revivalcycles.com/collections/motogadget-m-unit

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.