Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.  (Read 15848 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2019, 02:38:30 PM »

I’ll bet they didn’t tell their customers “it’s within specs” and “they all do that”

:soapbox:
No. I can give you my personal experience with BMW when i had a issue with a 18 K1600 B.

Took the bike in for first service at 600 miles. Service advisor calls to tell me they discovered a oil leak and needed to investigate. Between tearing into the bike and getting factory approvals it took a week to sort out. The service guy invited me to come down and see the faulty seal and what was involved. Took him up on the offer.

The seal that was installed wrong at the factory was going to take longer to acquire than acceptable so they ordered a complete transmission unit and put the bike back together. They did a great job, no more issues. The factory rep authorized $500 in BMW accessories/gear or $300 cash as a tokin of there appreciation. Overall they had my bike tied up 3 weeks and they felt bad i had that happen.

In my 28 years and 12 new Harleys, i never had that experience. Will say, Harley was able to make repairs quickly but never gave me an apology.

Mistakes/issues are going to happen. It's all in how you handle them. Be upfront and accept responsibility. Make things right.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »

Finally got round to checking my 18 CVO RG. Haven’t ridden it due to moving house and having to work on the new place for the last few months.

Empty gearbox full primary!! Will get onto the dealer about the vent kit and get it done at the same time as the clutch recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

BigLock

• Elite CVO Member
  • CVO1 2012
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2019, 08:17:54 PM »

Same thing with my 18 CVO RG in shop now for the vent kit

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2019, 12:50:51 AM »

Has anyone tried Redline Shockproof Heavy in the trans to see if it reduces transfer?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2019, 08:00:15 AM »

Has anyone tried Redline Shockproof Heavy in the trans to see if it reduces transfer?

There's no reason why it would.  Don't let the name of the product fool you, it's the same viscosity as the other lubricants people normally use (75w90).  The name "Heavy" is just there to differentiate between the normal weight fluid and their racing "Light" and "Super Light" versions used for less drag in certain automotive racing applications.  The product is loaded with extreme pressure additives so they make silly claims about it being equivalent to a 75w250 in their ads, but that is not the actual viscosity of the fluid.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »

I use Red Line in my 17 CVO.  Seems to work just fine.  Never had issue with sumping, oil transfer or anything else.  I must have gotten one of the good ones! 

sjbyrne

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited... Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue w/ Wicked Sapphire
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2019, 06:27:36 PM »

I use Red Line in my 17 CVO.  Seems to work just fine.  Never had issue with sumping, oil transfer or anything else.  I must have gotten one of the good ones!

Red Line user (all holes, specific product) here too. It's really good product. There are a lot of good ones out there, my '17 CVO Limited included. The ones with issues are a very small minority for sure. Glad you're in the majority!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:32:00 PM by sjbyrne »
****2017 CVO Limited****
Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue w/ Wicked Sapphire

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2019, 07:17:27 PM »

New fix is to reduce lubrication transfer, you would expect a better solution to eliminate transfer between primary and transmission! 

Big question is what's the difference between the Twin Cam and M8 design to cause the transfer?

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2019, 11:30:21 AM »

Looks like Feuling thinks they have a fix.

https://www.easternperformance.com/feuling-3088-black-aluminum-vented-oil-dipstick-17-19-harley-m8-fltr-flhr.html?fbclid=IwAR05K4mYwSgAmJ98_lzhWwCD6-zKcXFN2Ohz1Hve5QOvu75_zqJP0ylMs7Y

No, they just think they can flim-flam a bunch of people and make some easy money.  These dipstick vents (more than one company is selling them) won't affect sumping, or fluid transfer, or improve performance.  They will lighten your wallet, which is the real objective.  If an engine has so much "blow-by" as to need an atmospheric vent, I'd suggest fixing the cause of the blow-by would be a better use of the money.

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:35:47 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2019, 05:14:23 AM »

Had the vent kit fitted yesterday during service and clutch recall. Just need to monitor levels now to check it’s cured the migration.

Using Tapatalk

BigLock

• Elite CVO Member
  • CVO1 2012
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2019, 08:55:06 PM »

Got mine back last week for the vent fix. The Mothership said this is the fix I'm not going to keep checking oil level . If this is the fix then I will check it at oil change. Beside if it goes warranty can fix it.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2019, 10:33:34 PM »

Got mine back last week for the vent fix. The Mothership said this is the fix I'm not going to keep checking oil level . If this is the fix then I will check it at oil change. Beside if it goes warranty can fix it.

My oil transfer issues started with my 2017 limited
Dealer said that issue and all the other issues I had with that bike were all taken care of with the new 2019. I like the color of the new one and instead of fighting with our lemon laws I made the switch.
At 230 miles in March my transmission was dry. All the oil was in the primary.
Dealer insisted that they had sold about 800 of the cvo in all the stores and they all were fine.
I kept getting the same runaround about lugging, high rpm running, over heating etc etc.
NONE of my other Harleys had this problem. This was not my first rodeo.
Factory guy comes out and puts the vent in, 5000 miles later, all oils are where they’re supposed to be. Would not comment WHY it was happening but we now know why.
Harley hasn’t fixed the cause, just put a rubber hose on the primary and call it good.
Service department never checked to see what levels are in the 3 sumps when they did customer oil changes. Guess what? Mine was not the only one.
2020 models have the hose, I haven’t seen the parts book to see if any of the seals have changed, just another new oil pump I guess. Better scavenging they say.
JME :soapbox:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:36:04 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

2019CVONH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »

BMW never laughed at that humor either , remember their K series smokers on cold starts oil creeping past valve seals, yep designed the motor with head on left= side stand !!!

BMW K bikes are in line 4 or 6 cyl. The "R" bikes are opposing twin cyl. bikes. This issues existed only for a short period of time and this got corrected. I've had 7 BMW's and none from 1994 have done it but the Air Heads did it.

HAWG RIDER

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »

I have a 2019 CVO Limited purchased last Nov. I have 6500 miles on my bike. I check my transmission fluid every 500 miles and it is full, no vent installed. Why are some bikes having fluid transfer issues and mine isn't?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 25 queries.