Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GTS stereo  (Read 1168 times)

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
GTS stereo
« on: February 16, 2020, 04:46:46 AM »

to those of you that have the new 19 and up GTS Radio does the xm/series still buff and lose the signal like the old ones did the old GT unit im talking about I know my 14 did it a lot

AJDR^

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: GTS stereo
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »

The XM on the 19 RG GTS will drop the signal in a heavily wooded area, doesnt last long. Dont ride through tall buildings in a downtown, but assume it would there as well. The antenna on the bike is in the stock location as I havent moved it because dont think it would make much of a difference. 99.9999% of the time it works

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 05:03:57 AM »

I figured as much thanks

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 05:30:22 AM »

My CVO Street Glide got terrible XM Reception and I ended up moving the antenna outside of the fairing and fixed it.    My CVO Road Glide the XM Works fine in the stock location.     

I read once on this forum that Batwing CVOs got poor Sat Radio reception due to the use of metal moldings for the w/shield over the antennas.   Shark Nose Road Glide's moldings are in location that does not interfere with the Sat Radio.

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »

I had the same issue with XM.  I cancelled it.  Not worth it.  And on top of that they broadcast in mono, so sounds like chit.  You are better off using the XM app (if you have a subscription for your car, for example) through Apple Play or Bluetooth. 
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

montcwby

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 electric orange 117” 130tq 120hp
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »

I had the same issue with XM.  I cancelled it.  Not worth it.  And on top of that they broadcast in mono, so sounds like chit.  You are better off using the XM app (if you have a subscription for your car, for example) through Apple Play or Bluetooth.

XM works great, thats pretty much all we listen to down here in Yuma, AZ. You get 20 miles out of town and all you can get on the radio is Spanish speaking stations.
And who told you that they only broadcast XM in Mono? FAKE NEWS!!!

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:06:56 PM »

And who told you that they only broadcast XM in Mono? FAKE NEWS!!!

That's the truth. I hear excellent stereo separation with the Harley 30K bluetooth headset.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 07:03:36 AM »

That does not sound correct.  Its been in stereo on every CVO I have had with XM and thats a few.  Its also in stereo in my F-150. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 08:27:23 AM »

I definitely agree that Sirius "Over the Air" does not sound very good.   I think poorer than FM.   But it is in stereo.    I think the Bit Rate for the data from the satellites is cut way down to reduce data size.     It reminds me of when I used to Rip my own .mp3s    if you did it at a lower bitrate, the file size was smaller, but the sound quality drops way off.

Still a great alternative if you will be travelling because your stations stay wherever you go, even when there is no cell coverage at all.   I also subscribe to the weather because in Ohio the radar can help you avoid the raindrops!

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »

I definitely agree that Sirius "Over the Air" does not sound very good.   I think poorer than FM.   But it is in stereo.    I think the Bit Rate for the data from the satellites is cut way down to reduce data size.     It reminds me of when I used to Rip my own .mp3s    if you did it at a lower bitrate, the file size was smaller, but the sound quality drops way off.

Still a great alternative if you will be travelling because your stations stay wherever you go, even when there is no cell coverage at all.   I also subscribe to the weather because in Ohio the radar can help you avoid the raindrops!

Ok... Ok... Yes, I used the wrong term (mono).  Sirius DOES broadcast in stereo but at an extremely high compression, which affects the overall sound quality and has very low definition.  Apps like Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora that broadcast in HD audio (higher bit rate) sound EXPONENTIALLY better through the system, in my opinion.

2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 08:54:10 PM »

Ok... Ok... Yes, I used the wrong term (mono).  Sirius DOES broadcast in stereo but at an extremely high compression, which affects the overall sound quality and has very low definition.  Apps like Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora that broadcast in HD audio (higher bit rate) sound EXPONENTIALLY better through the system, in my opinion.

Those other music sources might be fine IF you receive cell service and you have an unlimited data plan. Sirius/XM has worked well for me for over 15 years now.
Can't really do without it in any of the vehicles.

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 03:02:58 PM »

I don't know about whether XM is in mono or stereo (I'm sure it's in stereo), but I agree it mostly sounded like crap and in mono on my 19' CVO as well as my 17' CVO. I had to fight damn near to the death lol to get my free 3 months subscription & now that the subscription has expired I probably won't renew.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 03:29:26 PM »

It's a compressed stereo signal.  I dropped it after the 3 months & play MP3s instead on the bike.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 08:26:07 PM »

I don't know about whether XM is in mono or stereo (I'm sure it's in stereo), but I agree it mostly sounded like crap and in mono on my 19' CVO as well as my 17' CVO. I had to fight damn near to the death lol to get my free 3 months subscription & now that the subscription has expired I probably won't renew.

Each time I purchased the XM module from Harley, XM gladly included the 90 day all access (traffic, weather, fuel, internet) when I called to activate the module.
And even though Harley states that only factory installed XM in the CVO bikes) are to receive the 90 day trial. I got it.
Guess it comes down to who you get on the other end of the phone at XM.  :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.