Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Great Time Of Year To Ride In Florida  (Read 14575 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Great Time Of Year To Ride In Florida
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 11:13:10 PM »

In Florida if you ride with no helmet you must carry a certain amount of medical insurance ($10,000) and you must be 21 to do so.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/insurance/motorcycle-insurance-minimum-requirements.php

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »

In Florida if you ride with no helmet you must carry a certain amount of medical insurance ($10,000) and you must be 21 to do so.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/insurance/motorcycle-insurance-minimum-requirements.php

That's exactly what we ran into.   

Your proof of insurance card must show the dollar amount of the medical coverage.   Our Insurance cards from Ohio did not have the stated dollar amounts.     We had to wait until the tickets posted in their system (took several days) and then take a copy of our insurance policy declaration page showing the dollar amounts of medical coverage to the clerk of courts and pay 10.00 bucks to get the Insurance part thrown out.

RedWings11

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 06:58:05 PM »

Caged it to Orlando from Panama City, loaded with presents.  One thing I can say that's great about getting older is having grandkids.  They melt my heart!  Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone!

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »

Hey florida peoples. 😀 will be making my way down from PA in early march to Bradenton for spring training baseball. I have a free day with no games for riding. Wanted to ride down and check out alligator alley. Is that a doable ride for a day trip? Is there something better  we should check out from that area? Every year the traffic is horrible in the Bradenton / Sarasota area. Looks doable on a map but not familiar with travel times down there much.
Thanks in advance

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »

It is doable, could be a long day - probably 7-8 hours road time plus time for stops depending on your turnaround point from the east on I-75.  It's a tool road, think the toll is $2.50 or $2.

Another alternative - if you want to see "older less traveled Florida" is to take Hwy. 951 south off I-75 to Hwy. 41 east & go to Everglades City. Can continue east on 41 past that, road is non interstate, much less traffic than I-75.  Travel time is about the same.

I-75 south of Bradenton can be very busy all the way to Naples.  There are some inland north/south non interstate routes but would add too much time to make trip as doable.

Anybody from the south Florida area can give you more details on stuff to do.  Have not been in that area for a few years, the Hwy. 41 route is more scenic but the road surface may not be the best for a bike.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »

It is doable, could be a long day - probably 7-8 hours road time plus time for stops depending on your turnaround point from the east on I-75.  It's a tool road, think the toll is $2.50 or $2.

Another alternative - if you want to see "older less traveled Florida" is to take Hwy. 951 south off I-75 to Hwy. 41 east & go to Everglades City. Can continue east on 41 past that, road is non interstate, much less traffic than I-75.  Travel time is about the same.

I-75 south of Bradenton can be very busy all the way to Naples.  There are some inland north/south non interstate routes but would add too much time to make trip as doable.

Anybody from the south Florida area can give you more details on stuff to do.  Have not been in that area for a few years, the Hwy. 41 route is more scenic but the road surface may not be the best for a bike.

While Alligator Alley is better known, it is now all I-75, limited access, I much prefer HWY 41 / Tamiami Trail, the Southernmost route across the Everglades. 41 was resurfaced several years back, not bad at all... 41 has small bridges across the canals, places to pull over on the bike and check out the wildlife...

My preferred route, I-75 to HWY 29 South to HWY 41 East...

Check gas at 29 & 41 intersection... 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »

Stay away from Everglades Natl. Park outside of Florida City. Park Rangers(COPS) love to hand out speeding tickets.  >:( Ain't nothing to see anyway since the hurricane.
Also watch out for red light cameras, especially when making right on red.  :nervous:
John

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »

Thanks alot guys. I have rode 41 from Bradenton down to siesta key on my softail. That was brutal. So much stop and go. I would melt if i had to do that on my cvo. Sounds like a good plan. Love me some 2 lane roads.  I assume once on 41 east its either run to Miami or turn around and backtrack? Unless i have a pontoon bike. Lol.

Heatwave, looking at google maps I see what youre saying. Best to avoid 41 until i get south enough. Everglades City looks promising.

Thanks again.

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »

Stay away from Everglades Natl. Park outside of Florida City. Park Rangers(COPS) love to hand out speeding tickets.  >:( Ain't nothing to see anyway since the hurricane.
Also watch out for red light cameras, especially when making right on red.  :nervous:
John
Good info there. Lol. Everglades arent a must see but thought it would be neat to do. 3 years of going down there and havent seen a damn gator outside yet. Lots of manatees and a few dolphins though which was awesome. If theres some hidden gem roads down there I'm all for it. As long as theres something to see. I rode 17 in SC from Myrtle Beach to Patriots Point in Charleston one time, I could have slept the whole time. Most boring ride of my life.

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »

Speaking of cops, is splitting lanes legal in fla? Leaving a ball game last year a local leo was doing security near where i parked my bike and he said that the bike was the way to go, dont have to wait in traffic. Had no clue what he meant by that.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 09:07:39 PM »

Would pick a turnaround well before Miami.  Lane splitting is illegal, occasionally will see it.  Watch for cops - they love out of state plates to ticket. Along 41 as I recall there is a rest area & nearby they have a guy feeding chicken to an alligator via a long pole.  We watched from a distance, those suckers can clear the water when motivated.  Not much in Everglades City but is a very pleasant ride.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 06:52:52 PM »

Good info there. Lol. Everglades arent a must see but thought it would be neat to do. 3 years of going down there and havent seen a damn gator outside yet. Lots of manatees and a few dolphins though which was awesome. If theres some hidden gem roads down there I'm all for it. As long as theres something to see. I rode 17 in SC from Myrtle Beach to Patriots Point in Charleston one time, I could have slept the whole time. Most boring ride of my life.

Gators!!!!! on the north side of 41, there's a canal. Between Rt. 29 and the big Miccosukee reservation parking lot , if the water level isn't too high, you'll see more GATORS on the banks than you can count. There's even some 14 foot grandpas there.  :o

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »

Gators!!!!! on the north side of 41, there's a canal. Between Rt. 29 and the big Miccosukee reservation parking lot , if the water level isn't too high, you'll see more GATORS on the banks than you can count. There's even some 14 foot grandpas there.  :o

Yep, plenty of gators along 41
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »

In the meantime until you get on the road, here's a picture of my wife's gator in the garden.

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »

That will work. I had a 3d gator archery target i would float in my pond to shoot at. Dogs didnt much care for it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.