Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trip to FL  (Read 1839 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Trip to FL
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:01:29 AM »

I already shared a few other things about this trip, including meeting up with a few people on a World Tour on Bikes, and problems I had with riding with the group I rode down with.  I also made mention of the full day I spent at the big Daytona Harley dealer...Bruce Rossmeyer's in Ormond Beach, FL.  I also visited Pompano Beach Harley and I met up with a nice gent there with a yellow 09 SERG.  He lives in Boca Raton and has a total of 5 CVO's in his garage.  He had never heard about our forum and I am hoping that he remembers to check us out.  I also met up with another gent around St Augustine at the gas pumps with an orange and black 2000 SERG.  I'm terrible with getting names the first time around when they don't have breasts, so I can't remember either of their names.  The guy with the 2000 SERG says he is a member of the forum, but doesn't spend much time on here.

One thing I learned on this trip is that there seems to be a large number of people out there that put pipes on their bikes and maybe a different air filter, and that's the end of it.  I don't think that most people actually get race tuners and have dyno's done.  I think we here are the exception, rather than the rule.  I spoke to a lot of people on the streets and at dealerships in N Carolina, S Carolina, GA, and FL...and they all wanted to know what pipes I was running.  When I started talking about tuning it in on the dyno, every one of them said something along the lines of "I think they told me I have to buy some other part to tune it" and they really didn't seem to have a clue what they were missing in performance or what it was all about.  I really think Harley and the dealers are leaving a huge chunk of change on the table by not educating every buyer at the time of sale about this aspect of their bikes.  Maybe it's crossing the line with the EPA somewhat if they are pushing the mods, but I'm sure they could find a way around it.  They sell the part to do the mods, so why not educate their buyers about the need for it?

Anyway, it was a great trip.  I had the opportunity to visit with several friends and relatives I hadn't seen in many years.  I wish I had the chance to meet up with some of the forum members on this trip, but I suppose I'll meet up with plenty of them in York and Eureka Springs.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Trip to FL
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »

sounds like you had a great trip.  I think I met up with the same guy from Boca with the yellow road glide and if I'm right, he has had his 03 serk sitting in the showroom for 3 months in the Pomoano store showroom.  They want a fortune for it and don't think about the times we are facing and what these bikes are going for, privately or what can be found on line.  Next time you're in south florida let me know.   stuart
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:52:25 PM by cvostu »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »

I think we are talking about the same person.  I think that's his gold/black 02 SERK in the showroom.  Talk about overpriced bikes, I was at the huge dealer in Ormond Beach.  They have an 09 SERG priced at $45,000 on the floor and they want an additional $2100 for chrome engine bolts and chrome front calipers.  Total price of over $47,000.  That blew my mind.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »

Same guy. That was an 03 and it's still there. I saw those CVO's up there too. Amazing he even asks for the numbers.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:07:03 PM »

I think that participating on forums both educates us and cost us all more money than we would normally spend. Maybe I would have more money in my pocket at the end of the day if I was not concerned with having my bike running great, being comfortable and looking great too. If I did not have internet access and was only able to rely on my local dealers for knowledge and parts I know for certain that I would not spend so much money on my hobbies, such as AR15's, HK's, Kimber's and Harley's.
Looking at the members of our HOG group, the members who participate on online forums definitely have spent more money on their bikes, including SERT, exhaust, chrome, chrome and more chrome, performance engine work and custom paint work. The members who don't participate on online forums put on exhaust, sometimes SERT, a few pieces of chrome and call it good. There are some exceptions where longtime riders will have custom paint work. Anyhow, these are some things that I notice.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »

well said..  I seem to notice almost everything that comes before my eyes, and usually we have an opinion...  good or bad, or like or dislike. We can learn something new everytime we crank the computer up and sign on for sure.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 12:09:37 AM »

Guilty, you've made a great point there.  You can pretty much ask someone if they have internet access and whether they participate in any online forums, and from that you will have a good idea of what modifications they are not aware of.  The gent that I met in Pompano Beach who owns 5 CVO's was telling me that he would like to eliminate the current license and lamp combo on his 09 SERG and that there isn't anything that will work.  I told him to go onto the forum and he will see how it's done.  He again told me that it will not work.  He wanted to put the same setup that LarryB has on his and he told me it cannot be done.  There were a few other things he mentioned, which I can't seem to remember now what they were, but as soon as he told me they were things that he wanted to do, but couldn't, I directed him to the forum and told him that many others had done it.  One of them was putting the 09 exhaust on an 07 or 08 model and I explained how others had done it with a different transmission pan and he told me that he already checked with the dealer and it can't be done.  Once again, I told him to check out the forum and he will get the step by step with part numbers.  I still don't think he believed me.  Maybe these people are smarter than we are.  Without the information, they don't have to spend the extra money that we spend.  I was very happy with my stereo until I saw the upgrades available.  I never saw a need for a center stand until I saw the benefits on here.  I would never have thought about getting a tourpack relocation kit or tourpack quick release without seeing it here on the forum.  There are so many things that come up on here that the normal individual alone would never get involved with, until someone like us plants that seed.  I have a friend that has $50,000 into his standard 08 Ultra.  He has no internet access and I don't think he really even knows what the internet is.  I think I need to have him sit down at my computer and show him how to do a search, etc and watch him get addicted and get his own internet access at home.  I wonder how quickly he would have $100,000 wrapped up in that bike.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »

that was better said than i could ever imagine it.   Sit him down soon, there is a recession going on,,,    thanks for the reply back,

06cuse

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 01 FXDWG2 Traded to FlaHeatWave
    • CVO2: 06 FLTHCUSE 93k & Traded on a 10 FLHTK 73k traded on a Skunk
    • CVO3: 12 FLTRXSE Rollin Hard
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 03:37:59 AM »

Been awhile since I posted.  Livin in St Augustine now - my 06 is sittin on 71k - so the short of it - if ya get back this way email me - the long of it - the many dealers don't even have a dyno.  The real problem - is if your changing air cleaners and pipes - and not dyno tuning your bike - you can actually damage components by running to lean.  I really think this was a contributing factor to smoking a rear exhaust valve at 40k.  I recently smoked the PCIII though - just quit working after 9 months or so.  I sent it back to Jamie at FuelMoto, he replaced and reinstalled the parameters when he dyno tuned it last year...  Relatively painless problem - cost me an hour in south Alabama while we figured it out.  And about 8 bucks to ship the toasted unit back.  FuelMoto was great - sent it to them - new one turned around in a day.
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PV w A/T Pro~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan, Hayden M6.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »

Seemed kind of painless. Are there problems with the PC? Harley dealers will try and talk you out of them every time. I had one in my 04 for 4 years and was fine with it. Had a build and put in the TTS and the PC went in another bike. So far so good.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »

Seemed kind of painless. Are there problems with the PC? Harley dealers will try and talk you out of them every time. I had one in my 04 for 4 years and was fine with it. Had a build and put in the TTS and the PC went in another bike. So far so good.

I think it's a no brainer.  Why would the Harley dealer want you to use a PC that you can use on another bike when they can sell you a SE Super Tuner that can't be used again on another bike, and then they can sell you another one?

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.