Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Ride Baja ?  (Read 1528 times)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Anyone Ride Baja ?
« on: January 27, 2006, 11:41:47 AM »

has any one ridden the baja peninsula lately? im planning on going to punta chivato just above mulege in march. im not concerned with safty but more so with road conditions and TOPES. when they put in TOPES ( speed bumps ) they dont mess around. these things are like boulders and im concerned that the seeg wont be able cross. im dreaming of tacos, beer and sunburn [smiley=banana.gif]

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: Anyone Ride Baja ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 12:52:51 PM »

VANAMAL,

Drove down all of the way from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas in March 2002. Two Thousansd miles their and back.

Most of the road is in good shape. again as you are aware, keeep a look out for the Topes and Vadoos, Topes are the "speed bumps" and yes they can be an Anus Puckerer if approached at siginificant speed, one occurence, however you do get fair warning. The Vadoos, are low lying depressions in the highway for storm water runoff. Thy can be filled with sand or debris be catious of these and they are also well marked.

Their are PEMEX Gas Stations up and down the highway, sometimes they may out of gas, however a local will be their with 45 gallon drums of gas on a pick up truck and will be glad to sell you gas. Carry octane booster with you as quality ot their gas is questionalble.

Their is a chain of Tourism Mexico owned Hotes, I think La Pinta Chain. Which are good clean accomodation and reasonable.

You can bypass the "Zoo" Border Crossing at San Diego/Tijuana by taking US #8 East of San Diego approx. 35 miles to the Border Crossing at Tecate, enjoy a beer at the Tecate Brewery and then take the Mexican # 20 then #3 to Ensenda.

Then #1 to first night at San Quentin approx 280 miles from San Diego via Tecate, then to Guerro Negro approx. 240 miles from San Quintin. From Guerro Negro to Mulege would be approx. 190 miles.

You will be in the middle of the Baja for awhie as you get closer to Santa Rosilia you will be going East to the Sea of Cortez be careful as you come up to very scenic views of the Sea of Cortez, and the road becomes very windy. Your best to pull over and sight see.

Once you are in Mulege drive down to Loreto and on the way stop in at the "Playas" along the beach.

A little advise change your US Money to Pesos, this way you will not have to keep an eye out for your change/conversion. Some locals will try and convince you the Peso is same as US Money, no chancey at that time it was 1 $US Dollar = 10.00 Pesos. I doubt it has changed.

Anyway, I could get carried away even more, this is a very brief Version of our trip. Had a great time. Their were 35 of us altogether, however only 4 - 5 travelled in any groups, cuaghj up wiyh others and passed others etc.

Have a good time.

geezerglide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 05:25:11 PM »

Van, Ernie (Erniezap) and some other friends from San Jose but not members of this site rode down to Cabo last year.  I know that Don took his SEEG at the time.  I think Ernie was riding a Road King (before his  [smiley=cherry.gif] SEEG).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 08:12:46 PM »

has any one ridden the baja peninsula lately? im planning on going to punta chivato just above mulege in march. im not concerned with safty but more so with road conditions and TOPES. when they put in TOPES ( speed bumps ) they dont mess around. these things are like boulders and im concerned that the seeg wont be able cross. im dreaming of tacos, beer and sunburn [smiley=banana.gif]

Vanamal,

I did it June 2005 on a Heritage and I was with someone on an 04 SEEG.  We rode during daylight for safety reasons.  While the roads aren't engineered and banked like ours, they were fine.  In the 1100 miles of the penninsula, we had to run a total of about 1/4 - 1/2 mile in the desert where they were repaving.  As for topas, I learned what it meant at ~75 MPH and definitely won't make that mistake again!  There was 1 or 2 that scraped the bottom of the bike but they weren't any problem once we took them at a reasonable speed  :D  

Have a margarita and a taco for me!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 01:45:03 AM »

Van;

I was on the run w/ geezerglide (leo - it was '04, not '02). Only had one encounter w/ a tope in Encinada. Two up, dead slow & I still managed to knock my kickstand spring off. Other people were having problems w/ loaded ultra's as well. My advice - carry an extra spring or two!

PS - don't try to take one of them vadoos @ 80+ - f@cking road washed out in the bottom!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 01:49:50 AM by bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 08:49:49 PM »

Bungy,

Yes you are right as always, oldtimers setting in.

Are you still thinking of going to Cripple Creek? My bike is in Phoenix, tenative plan is to go down in May ride it back to Calgary. Or, if no one from around here is going fly down in June after the International Petroleum Show, drive North through Arizona over to New Mexico up into Colorado to Cripple Creek and then home.

On any another note, note you going to Sturgis?

geezerglide

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 11:31:50 PM »

Leo, you've got a PM.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.