Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Tranny Project  (Read 5268 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Tranny Project
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 10:03:50 PM »

Actually I was starting off fooling around. Now that I think about it, that '97 Evo might just do better with that tranny than the Evo with the '85 bottom end. Before doing anything, I'd try it with the new tranny. If the gears are tall enough, that engine will pull like a mother! If the gears are too shorrt, that bottom end doesn't do well short-shifting. That motor wants too pull. To 70 in second an 105 in third. You're not doing that with that tranny! See how it feels. I'm curious about this entire build. What cam is in that '85 Evo? Is it the original bottom end in the '85. Cases? Studs would have had to be replaced, and probably a long time ago? Ride it after you get it together. If you hate it and wanna use the '97, we'll talk then. ;) Hoist! 8-)

Howie, My original advice to Stoneman was to leave the bike stock. Two years passed and I didn't see him cause I was on the road a lot in my job. Spent 7 months in Hawaii ( yeah feel sorry for me) Anyway, fast forward two years and he brings me the bike with the whole drive train (except the motor) missing. The original trans is in a box, but missing the shafts and some other stuff. No clutch assembly whatsoever, original starter is worn out, pipes look like he's been burnin diesel instead of gas they're so full of soft black soot. I go huntin for parts to staighten it out and start running into a lot of dead ends. So I got a buddy with some old bikes that is always lookin for odd parts and he offers to trade me a Sputhe 5 into 4 case for the stock case out of Stoneman's bike. Knowing how that deal works, I post on the site looking for a 5-speed gear set and you know the rest of the story. Like I said, had it been my bike it would have been kept original. I KNOW what these bikes are worth in stock form. I didn't have that option, so I'm makin the best of the situation. Recognizing that the gearset is intended for a big bagger I'm looking at options on the primary gear that goes on the comp sprocket. My first goal is to get it together, straighten out the ignition, even replace the carb if I have to. Then ride it as you said. Beyond that who knows. It's a damn shame this bike got screwed up and parted out, but it happens. Stoneman is just a guy who rides, not someone with any appreciation for what he's riding. Doesn't make him a bad guy, he's a real standup dude in 99 other ways, just the way he is.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 08:57:13 AM »

Howie, My original advice to Stoneman was to leave the bike stock. Two years passed and I didn't see him cause I was on the road a lot in my job. Spent 7 months in Hawaii ( yeah feel sorry for me) Anyway, fast forward two years and he brings me the bike with the whole drive train (except the motor) missing. The original trans is in a box, but missing the shafts and some other stuff. No clutch assembly whatsoever, original starter is worn out, pipes look like he's been burnin diesel instead of gas they're so full of soft black soot. I go huntin for parts to staighten it out and start running into a lot of dead ends. So I got a buddy with some old bikes that is always lookin for odd parts and he offers to trade me a Sputhe 5 into 4 case for the stock case out of Stoneman's bike. Knowing how that deal works, I post on the site looking for a 5-speed gear set and you know the rest of the story. Like I said, had it been my bike it would have been kept original. I KNOW what these bikes are worth in stock form. I didn't have that option, so I'm makin the best of the situation. Recognizing that the gearset is intended for a big bagger I'm looking at options on the primary gear that goes on the comp sprocket. My first goal is to get it together, straighten out the ignition, even replace the carb if I have to. Then ride it as you said. Beyond that who knows. It's a damn shame this bike got screwed up and parted out, but it happens. Stoneman is just a guy who rides, not someone with any appreciation for what he's riding. Doesn't make him a bad guy, he's a real standup dude in 99 other ways, just the way he is.

B B

B B, well the other side of not having an original '85 4-speed Evo is the uniqueness of the bike you're transforming it into. That bike will be sure to attract people who look at it and say"WTF is that?" That's sure to put a big smile on your face while you keep quiet and watch them try to figure out what you did! The bike will be real cool regardless! ;) Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 11:13:27 AM »

Howie,
            Thanks for the encouragement. Wish you lived close by. I think you and I would be doing stuff like this together all the time. Not to get too far off topic ( who me  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]) but I just can't get interested in the ground up bike thing anymore. Too many folks out there doing in and it's gotten to the point where my eyes go blurry whenever I see choppers. Once in awhile I'll see one I think is well thought out, well executed and looks like it actually could be ridden for a respectable distance, but for the most part, they're trailer queens to me and I have no use or respect for that type of motorcycle. With Elvis and Los Dragons I was seeing how far I could go with a production model H-D and the add ons available. That's actually been fun and I don't believe I've seen the edge of that field just yet. This Stoneman project has produced a dimension I hadn't thought of before and that is customization from a rideability and reliability standpoint. I know Stoneman is gonna " chit a brick" as we say in Maine, but I'm really into the idea of getting the 97 Evo motor back here in Dago from his cousin Bob in Michigan and building it up and putting it into the 85 FXWG. What I'm hoping is a couple weeks when it's back together from the drive train upgrade and he rides it, he'll get jazzed up enough to call his cousin and get the motor shipped out here and turn me on to that. If/when that happens, I'll contact you about the motor currently in the bike. Thanks again for the encouragement

Big B
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 24 queries.