Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Seat Isues  (Read 2955 times)

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG "Beast"
Seat Isues
« on: July 18, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »

I've read several post concerning seats,gaps, improved seats, bumpers, ect.... I purchased a new SESG last month with a build date of April. How can I tell if the seat is the "improved seat"? Also.. there  are 2 black plastic pieces installed on each side of the frame under the seat, are these the bumpers?

Thanks
RLTW

bjizel

• Full CVO Member
Re: Seat Isues
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:25:48 PM »

Yes sir, that be the bumpers. The guys @ BR HD know about the seat issue, I had the bumpers installed and seat replaced there, you should have the revised seat but the service tech. could let you know for sure. The revised seat part # has the letter A added to the end.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:42:14 PM by bjizel »

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:29:51 PM »

I've read several post concerning seats,gaps, improved seats, bumpers, ect.... I purchased a new SESG last month with a build date of April. How can I tell if the seat is the "improved seat"? Also.. there  are 2 black plastic pieces installed on each side of the frame under the seat, are these the bumpers?Thanks
Yes those are the bumpers, I have had both old and new seats and could not tell the difference. The bumpers did help with my problem, however I installed a Corbin Solo seat, and like it way better.
Hawg

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:15:35 AM »

Thanks guys.. these forums are a great source of information but they do make you worry about your ride...

Mike
RLTW

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »

I rarely use the factory seat but when I do it does have this seat gap issue.  Is their an actual service memo to replace the seat and or add bumpers?  Are the bumpers in the way of after-market seats?  I use a C&C solo except for long overnight trips.  Any pictures of bumpers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »

I rarely use the factory seat but when I do it does have this seat gap issue.  Is their an actual service memo to replace the seat and or add bumpers?  Are the bumpers in the way of after-market seats?  I use a C&C solo except for long overnight trips.  Any pictures of bumpers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Go to the SE Street Glide board and look for threads on the seat.  There are several threads, and some have pictures of both the gap problem and the lovely bumper "fix".  And yes, the bumpers will have to be removed for any of the aftermarket seats I'm aware of, but it's not a big deal.  They are held on with one bolt per bumper.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »

Go to the SE Street Glide board and look for threads on the seat.  There are several threads, and some have pictures of both the gap problem and the lovely bumper "fix".  And yes, the bumpers will have to be removed for any of the aftermarket seats I'm aware of, but it's not a big deal.  They are held on with one bolt per bumper.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Unfortunately I know what the gap looks like.  Thanks for the bumper info.  Does the stock seat also need to be replaced and are dealers doing that?  I might as well get a new one if so even thought I rarely use the stock seat.

Mike
Mods:
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »

In most cases the bumpers have fixed the gap issue.
Hawg

KaseyKahnefan

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Spiced Rum FLHXSE
Re: Seat Issues
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:18 AM »

In most cases the bumpers have fixed the gap issue.
Mine came with the bumpers already installed....But I'm getting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap...Guess my A$$ is to fat for the bumpers to work, The dealer is ordering me a new seat. :confused5:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 08:36:13 AM »

Thanks Jerry,

Unfortunately I know what the gap looks like.  Thanks for the bumper info.  Does the stock seat also need to be replaced and are dealers doing that?  I might as well get a new one if so even thought I rarely use the stock seat.

Mike

The way the MoCo has the program set up Mike is that the dealer is supposed to first try the bumpers.  If that doesn't fix the problem, then they can order a new seat.  The entire idea is to save the MoCo a lot of money by getting most folks to accept the bumper band-aid.  If you don't actually use the stock seat very often it may not bother you, but if it were me I'd want an updated seat even if I just had it hanging on the garage wall.  You guys paid for a good seat, and you should get one.  The MoCo has gotten away with this kind of crap way too much.

Click on the attached pdf for the actual service bulletin.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 12:05:31 PM »

The way the MoCo has the program set up Mike is that the dealer is supposed to first try the bumpers.  If that doesn't fix the problem, then they can order a new seat.  The entire idea is to save the MoCo a lot of money by getting most folks to accept the bumper band-aid.  If you don't actually use the stock seat very often it may not bother you, but if it were me I'd want an updated seat even if I just had it hanging on the garage wall.  You guys paid for a good seat, and you should get one.  The MoCo has gotten away with this kind of crap way too much.

Click on the attached pdf for the actual service bulletin.

Jerry

Thanks, I'll go put my original seat back on and take it to the dealer.
Mods:
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:30:51 AM »

Again thanks for the info.. the thing is I really like this seat. It is as comfortable as the sundowner I had my Road King

RLTW

bigmuff

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »

I didn't have gap and then after I took the seat off I noticed a gap.  After further inspection I noticed there is quite a bit of slop in the hole in the rear tab.  So what I do is push forward on the seat while tightening the screw.  I'm 210 lbs and there's a little gap when riding but as soon as I get off the gap is gone.

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 04:09:30 AM »

Again thanks for the info.. the thing is I really like this seat. It is as comfortable as the sundowner I had my Road King

Really??!!   After a 2,200 mile trip over 5 days last week I HATE THIS SEAT!!!! 

I can only wish my sundowner from my 02 Ultra would fit this bike - I love that seat.

2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 08:05:34 AM »

Really??!!   After a 2,200 mile trip over 5 days last week I HATE THIS SEAT!!!! 

I can only wish my sundowner from my 02 Ultra would fit this bike - I love that seat.

Yeah.. I'm kind of surprised about that myself but it fits and feels great to me.... granted I haven't racked up the miles yet.

Mike
RLTW

GusGlide

• Vendor
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »

I would have thought Harley would have had these issues fixed before someone spends there hard working money buying a $30k+ bike. I bought my bike in the end of May 2010 and I have 2700 miles on it right now and I also have this seat problem. I took it to the dealer and they installed the bumpers but I still had the gap. They are now ordering a new seat. I might buy a solo seat but not sure which one to buy. My problem is I'm 5' 7'' and I do not want to make it taller. Anyone that has the short legs problem and has purchased an after market seat that is comfortable and looks good please let me know. Thanks

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »

Well the dealer ordered the bumper kit for me.  Assuming that doesn't work I'll get the redesigned seat.  Anyone know if the new seat is longer or stiffer or both?

I find the seat fairly comfortable myself although I'm a little more forward and higher than my C&C solo.  I don't really like the style though, would prefer a stock Street Glide seat based upon appearance.
Mods:
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 07:52:44 AM »

My personal preference is the Corbin solo seat. I have gone thru the paces, the new seat is no different than the old seat, and all the bumpers do is add support to the seat on the edges preventing the seat from sagging (as much).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:07:57 PM by Hawg »
Hawg

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »

.. the thing is I really like this seat. It is as comfortable as the sundowner I had my Road King

I agree with your statment totally!
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

KaseyKahnefan

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »

Just talked to my dealer today, we are going to try and replace the 2010 bad (Sagging) seat with a 2011 seat. Looking at the 2011 seat there is a big difference...can't wait for feedback once we get a few 2011 owners on this new seat. Service manager said it may take a couple months to get it.......Hope this is a good decision.  :nervous:

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »

Just talked to my dealer today, we are going to try and replace the 2010 bad (Sagging) seat with a 2011 seat. Looking at the 2011 seat there is a big difference...can't wait for feedback once we get a few 2011 owners on this new seat. Service manager said it may take a couple months to get it.......Hope this is a good decision.  :nervous:
Sounds like a better solution.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 05:05:06 PM »

Doesn't the 2011's have a snake skin insert? Are they going to replace your passenger backrest so it matches?

RLTW

KaseyKahnefan

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »

Doesn't the 2011's have a snake skin insert? Are they going to replace your passenger backrest so it matches?

I know the seat is different but I feel if I can get a good seat I'm $$$ ahead. I plan to buy a taller passenger backrest anyway...She says so :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 24 queries.