• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
TPMS
« on: July 26, 2019, 08:24:51 PM »

On the display it tells me at 40 PSI I have a tire problem. What is making it come on early? Just started today. Is there some sort of reset.
Bill

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: TPMS
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 10:27:31 PM »

I have to run mine 1 or 2 psi above 36/40, or I get light going off and on randomly
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »

On the display it tells me at 40 PSI I have a tire problem. What is making it come on early? Just started today. Is there some sort of reset.

I think there is more than one warning for the TPMS.  You get a warning for underinflation, but there is also a warning for system faults, low battery in a sensor, etc.  If you pull up the screen for the TPMS on the infotainment system, what does it actually say?  Btw, I've never been able to find a simple reset procedure not only for the Harley system but also for most automotive systems.  You might have to stop by a dealership and let them check it out with their scan tool.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »

Inflation faults can be from a few lbs below or above predetermined specs.
Weak batteries can cause poor signals from the sensors and temperature plays a role also.
We can reset the pressure specs for some vehicles but I haven't had a bike to play with that has TPMS.
As Jerry said you should see the dealer as you may need the monitoring system updated.
But first I would use a couple different manual air pressure testers to see if any are close to the info from the bike.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »

My Tpms came on today for low front tire, 34 psi, brought it up to 36 and it went out... They seem to be very finicky..

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 06:03:24 PM »

My Tpms came on today for low front tire, 34 psi, brought it up to 36 and it went out... They seem to be very finicky..

Since the recommended MINIMUM air pressure cold is 36 psi, I think it's a great idea to have the TPMS warn you long before it gets down to what the federal law allows.  The statutory spec is 25% below the recommended pressure, or in this case 27 psi.  That is way too low and could be dangerous.  I personally believe it should be no more than 10% low when the warning is made, but the 5% low your bike warned you at is even better IMHO.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 06:25:55 PM »

TPMS is still one of my half-way pet peeves.  Love the system for when it can advise of an ongoing deflation while traveling.  Unless it's a sudden flat (for which nothing will help) this gives me time to look for a place and deal with it.

I hate, however, these systems as a replacement for actually checking the tires.  It's when I check the tires that I lay a hand on them and feel for bulges or other problems, maybe see a cracked valve stem, or who knows what else.  If I'm only relying on TPMS (as the system over times allows us to do) I wouldn't do those things anymore.

None of my bikes are new enough to have the system internally.  The Garmin unit that can run on either the Road King or the Road Glide would monitor valve stem sensors though.  I suppose before a long trip it would be a consideration; just for the slow deflation warning that might be a benefit.  Though I'd have to change valve stems on the Road Glide.

I still like actually checking the tires though.  Not just the air pressure but the actual tires.  So, I'm old.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 08:22:47 PM »

Just like magic the TPMS is working OK. 
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 06:29:24 AM »

TPMS is still one of my half-way pet peeves.  Love the system for when it can advise of an ongoing deflation while traveling.  Unless it's a sudden flat (for which nothing will help) this gives me time to look for a place and deal with it.

I hate, however, these systems as a replacement for actually checking the tires.  It's when I check the tires that I lay a hand on them and feel for bulges or other problems, maybe see a cracked valve stem, or who knows what else.  If I'm only relying on TPMS (as the system over times allows us to do) I wouldn't do those things anymore.

None of my bikes are new enough to have the system internally.  The Garmin unit that can run on either the Road King or the Road Glide would monitor valve stem sensors though.  I suppose before a long trip it would be a consideration; just for the slow deflation warning that might be a benefit.  Though I'd have to change valve stems on the Road Glide.

I still like actually checking the tires though.  Not just the air pressure but the actual tires.  So, I'm old.

I still manually check the tires. No substitute for that.  TPMS is for peace of mind when you hit a patch of road & wonder - Are my tires low?

And yes, I am old.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »

I've also editorialized on forums about the necessity to continue monitoring tires the "old fashioned way", but I usually come away feeling like I've just wasted a bunch of virtual ink.  Kind of like when I preach about the importance of only installing tires that meet or exceed the vehicle manufacturers load and speed ratings. 

IMHO old isn't necessarily bad.  In the "electronic gadgets for everything" era we are losing as much as we are gaining.  Many people no longer think they should learn the basics, why bother when you can google anything on your phone?  The difference is huge, but good luck trying to explain to young folks who have grown up with Google, YouTube, etc., that knowledge and the ability to work out solutions on your own is still very important.  I guess we'll have to wait for a massive EMP event to kill everyone's devices before they will understand.

Jerry

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »

I manual test the tir pressure once a week when driving 700 miles or so. So far the TPMS has been right on.
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »

Mine averages about 1# over actual when cold.  Close enough to be beneficial.  Also use TPMS to know when the tires are heated up - on my bike 49-50 rear & 42-44 or so on front.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.